Sous Vide

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think despite the literal meaning of the words sous vide, the term has certainly come to represent this cooking style, vac sealed or not.

I have a pork roast chugging along at 145, it will come out shortly and see about 15 min in a 550F oven to crust up. Perfect everytime.

Exactly.

How long at 145 did you do the roast?

And you would both still be incorrect. What you are doing is poaching.

Call him up then.

Sous-vide (pronounced /suːˈviːd/), French for "under vacuum",[1] is a method of cooking food sealed in airtight plastic bags in a water bath for a long time—72 hours is not unusual—at an accurately determined temperature much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 60 °C or 140 °F. The intention is to cook the item evenly, not overcook the outside while still keeping the inside at the same 'doneness' and to keep the food juicier.

I'm pretty sure that is what we are doing. The eggs are just sealed naturally.

Call him up then.

I'm pretty sure that is what we are doing. The eggs are just sealed naturally.

Since an egg is porous... again... still incorrect. Unless you are telling me your chickens produce eggs that are vacuum sealed.

I don't care what you call it John- I want to eat it!

I never said they were vacuum sealed. Just sealed enough to cook without letting the egg out or water in.

...at a lower, more controlled temperature for a much longer period of time in order to control the consistency of the entire product. Commonly know as....sous vide.

It is nothing like a poached egg, so why should I call it that?

well then why not call it Beef Wellington? It isn't that either. Take any quote out of context to make it fit your definition and what you get is perpetual misinformation. Just because some chef you look up to called it something incorrectly doesn't actually lend validity to the misinformation. Just because it was in it's shell doesn't change the fact that it is still a poached egg.

The egg doesn't have to be under 100% vacuum or something that would crush the shell... but without ANY vacuum, it is not sous vide.

So if I throw the egg in a bag and vac it lightly until sealed, and then put it in a water bath, I can call it sous vide? Whats the point, its just a waste of a bag.

LOL. I tried a little bit of silliness/sarcasm in another thread to make that point and was taken seriously. My question is does the technique work and how and does the stuff that you prepare that way taste good? You can use whatever terminology you wish, but the second part is the important one, no?
~10 hrs.

Boy this thread sure took a dive, thanks for popping in chefwatson....:flush:

Back