soy sauce

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A chef friend of mine said Three Crabs Viet Huong fish sauce his favorite so I bought a bottle in Chinatown.

Been using Kikkoman less sodium soy sauce. For sushi mix it with frozen real wasabi got from Cherry Japanese Imports here. Keep it frozen cut off a little with sharp Kau Kong cleaver. It's almost but not quite as good as grading a fresh wasabi root.

@CiderBear you didn't honestly think I didnt have a Hello Kitty soya sauce bottle

And yeah 3crab is THE fish sauce of choice

My chinese ancestors must be pissed I choose japanese soya sauce over chinese soya sauce
DSC_5217.jpeg

Yeh that's the bottle. I'm no expert on fish sauce, that 3 crab is good stuff

Where did you get that Hello Kitty soy container. I thiñk Janice loves our cat more than meo_O

There is one shop in Chinatown with rows of shelves filled with bottles. Some have no English at all on label.

A lot of people are wearing surgical masks tho no cases in Hawaii yet. Chinatown has lost some business also homeless hang around that area.

Been a very long time since I tried Pearl River Bridge soy sauces. I note that some here like it. Perhaps it's my last memory of their mushroom soy (thoroughly dreadful) that dominates my taste buds so I'm not about to try it again. Kikkoman is a staple in my kitchen for cooking though I do try other tamari and shoyu that show up at various outlets for table use. I create a mushroom flavoured sauce by using the chopped up stems of re-hydrated shitake mushrooms, covering with Kikkoman and storing in the fridge for a couple of months.

The Pearl River Bridge Mushroom Dark Soy is a very strong flavor. I haven’t tried it in a dish yet but a little bit would go an extremely long way. I have a sneaking suspicion there must be a better one out there.

@LostHighway I have to check out Pooja next. Thanks for the heads up. I don’t know much about the other places you named. I have been in a silo of Italian cuisine for the last five years. Now that I am out I am trying to catch up fast globally. Starting with China and India and working my way out from those hubs. So much to learn!!

Usually just use dark soy for colour, unless you get really good mushroom dark soy, a lot of them use caramel colouring

The Pearl River Bridge Mushroom Dark Soy is a very strong flavor. I haven’t tried it in a dish yet but a little bit would go an extremely long way. I have a sneaking suspicion there must be a better one out there.

@LostHighway I have to check out Pooja next. Thanks for the heads up. I don’t know much about the other places you named. I have been in a silo of Italian cuisine for the last five years. Now that I am out I am trying to catch up fast globally. Starting with China and India and working my way out from those hubs. So much to learn!!
youre gonna be stuck in india for a while, such good food.

reach out to me when you get to korea, ill give you my 'korean bbq' marinade recipe

@CiderBear you didn't honestly think I didnt have a Hello Kitty soya sauce bottle

And yeah 3crab is THE fish sauce of choice

My chinese ancestors must be pissed I choose japanese soya sauce over chinese soya sauceView attachment 72206

I used 3 Crabs too but when I can find it I prefer Phan Thiet. Kind of camped next to the factory in Phan Thiet for several months during a lively part of my life. You don't forget the smell of a fish sauce factory for sure. :)

Have either of you compared it to the Red Boat fish sauce? I get the 40°N version but there are some even fancier versions too.

A long time ago my bosses bought one of the bourbon barrel aged bottled from Red Boat. I finally took it home. Kind of makes me laugh.

I have about 6 varieties of fish sauce around at all times. I am not a huge fan of 3 crabs but it has its uses.

I think South India has largest veg. population on the planet.

Northern India has wonderful meat curries. Not to mention some truly beautiful women.

Something to do with eating meat curry? :) I don't mind eating vegetarian off an on. Just don't try to make that a legal requirement like some vegans around here would.

When I went to India was working at Kahala Hilton. Stayed for free at Hilton in Madras. It was fancy hotel & the female staff front of the house were exotic beauties. Even on Air India 1990 there were boxes in people's laps things that would never be legal in US. People having great time watching the Indian movie and a stewardess that could win any beauty contest.

When I went to India was working at Kahala Hilton. Stayed for free at Hilton in Madras. It was fancy hotel & the female staff front of the house were exotic beauties. Even on Air India 1990 there were boxes in people's laps things that would never be legal in US. People having great time watching the Indian movie and a stewardess that could win any beauty contest.
you forgot while being able to smoke :)

India is sensory overload. Was there about a month mostly travel by train & taxi Scooters. It's like stepping back in time.

Where did you get that Hello Kitty soy container. I thiñk Janice loves our cat more than meo_O

It’s a kikkoman bottle lol. The Asian Markets sell a variety in them for about $5cad (expensive for the quality and amount, but the bottle is worth it). They’re legit glass bottles, the hello kitty isn’t a shrink wrapped label that peels off

I use tomasu shoyu for my good dipping soy sauce, it is made in the Netherlands and from ingredients that are all sourced locally. Really good flavour!

Trip to Korea sounds great. I made a broth tonight with white wine, stock, light soy, double fermented soy, fish sauce, and gochujang to put it over the top. Really good flavor. It’s a whole new palette to play with. Loving it.

Trip to Korea sounds great. I made a broth tonight with white wine, stock, light soy, double fermented soy, fish sauce, and gochujang to put it over the top. Really good flavor. It’s a whole new palette to play with. Loving it.
Instead of fish sauce try dried anchovies and Kombu. Sake instead of wine.

Back