Special Steel ???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I find it hard to believe that modern metallurgy can't produce this steel if it really was that good. I think this is one of those examples of something uber rare becoming overhyped but I am willing to be convinced otherwise. Maybe somebody who knows more about metallurgy than I can explain to me why this steel is so odd that a good metallurgist couldn't duplicate it exactly if he or she wanted to..

Larrin is traveling today with his family, should be home tomorrow.

My guess is that this steel a very high carbon steel with a small amount of alloy in it, 1.35-1.40% carbon and maybe .15-.20% percent chrome, tungsten or vanadium used as a grain refiner and low amounts of manganese. Using virgin steel limits the amount of tramp alloy in the steel. The steel probably has very low amounts of impurities in it also.

Hoss

I think modern powder steel is just as good if not better than the Togo steel and alike, and easier to work with. Not to mention, cheaper to produce/forge.

IMO, this type of steel is more associated with its rarity and history, but lack of commercial sense to reproduce.

Borrowed from another thread:

Carbon:1.4-1.5% Chromium:0.5-0.6% Tungsten:2.3-3.06% Molybdenum:0.05-0.08% Vanadium:0.16-0.2%.

Good stuff Ttb. Given the chemical make up, this is what they call a finishing steel. Similar to F-2 and F-3 but with more carbon. This type of steel has been replaced by high speed steels over the years. There are some similar grades made in Germany today.

Hoss

Latest posts

Back