spicy white steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure there are a lot of people that know. I'm surprised no one here knows.

Ditto.......I find it hard to believe a foundry can make a profit by making a batch of steel for just one knife maker.

I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't the only ones to use it. But if you don't tell anyone what you are using, tough to know if someone else is using the same thing. Especially with different heat treats, cladding, etc.

Iwasaki (and whoever is working for/with him), Shigefusa (et al) and Heiji (et al) all use the same steel, most likely with the same HT. How many people is that? Sounds like a crowd to me. It's probalby a combiniation of a well kept secret and that there probably just aren't a whole lot of people that care.

The steel came in today. The chemical cert says that it has 1.27% C, .007 P, .001 S with a few other standard elements and a very small amount of grain refining alloy.

It is some of the cleanest steel I've ever seen.

I'll laminate some this week I hope. (sanmai with 403 stainless on the out side)

Hoss

SWEET. I can't wait to see what you think of it.

The steel came in today. The chemical cert says that it has 1.27% C, .007 P, .001 S with a few other standard elements and a very small amount of grain refining alloy.

I'll laminate some this week I hope. (sanmai with 403 stainless on the out side)

Hoss

You should probably try that with something basic, like a square, cleaverish in shape, but not as tall and thin it out bit, just to see how it does. The pm me for who may be able to purchase your experimentation. :D

Hoss

Sounds promising!

I heat treated a sample of the steel last night. It was 67+ out of the quench and 64.5 after tempering. I'll probably take it to 63rc. This stuff , like expected, resists tempering. I broke it to look at the fracture grain size. It has a very fine grain. It looks as fine as AEB-L. Lookin good so far.

Hoss

What's that Devin? A spicy pass-around knife coming soon?!? Why yes, sign me up please :)

I heat treated a sample of the steel last night. It was 67+ out of the quench and 64.5 after tempering. I'll probably take it to 63rc. This stuff , like expected, resists tempering. I broke it to look at the fracture grain size. It has a very fine grain. It looks as fine as AEB-L. Lookin good so far.

Hoss

Ah ha!!!! For a year now I've been puzzled how people on so many forums claim a steel is fine grained without ever seeing any photomicrographs. Now I get it!! You're looking at fracture surfaces! Sometimes I'm a bit slow. :(

-AJ

100x magnification

Hoss

Ah ha!!!! For a year now I've been puzzled how people on so many forums claim a steel is fine grained without ever seeing any photomicrographs. Now I get it!! You're looking at fracture surfaces! Sometimes I'm a bit slow. :(

-AJ

hey Hoss you could be a pal and send a small piece of that to Idaho :) well not too small

It occured to me that I am halfway between two of the best knifemakers in the world. Perhaps Devin andBill should meet in the SLC to discuss spicy steel and bring samples. Hehe. Hoss, you are making this pretty irresistable. I hope it all works out good for you.

It's irresistible because it is spicy. People used to travel half around the world to get those. :)

Bailey Bradshaw showed me a quick and dirty little trick for determining if he had gotten the grain size down without having to break a blade, but it might not work on kitchen knives because of the fine edge and bevel geometry unless you try it before you do your final shaping. He told me that when you put the edge on the blade on the belt grinder, if you are able to draw out a long, floppy wire edge, then you have some pretty fine grain. Like I said, quick and dirty, but perhaps more helpful to find out if you screwed up your heat treat and DON"T have fine grain.:D

-AJ

That makes sense. You must have posted that before because I couldn't shake the feeling of deja vu.

It occured to me that I am halfway between two of the best knifemakers in the world. Perhaps Devin andBill should meet in the SLC to discuss spicy steel and bring samples. Hehe. Hoss, you are making this pretty irresistable. I hope it all works out good for you.

Maybe you should make the trip to Panaca.

Hoss

Devin, how much manganese does the new spicy steel have in it?

And whether or not you can readily produce a super sexy spicy hamon. Sounds like it might be time to break out the Satanite and the cake decorating bag, Hoss. :D
Mn determines if it is water hardening or oil hardening.

Hoss

Back