Spoon prebuy (forks and spats too)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those look great Del!
Are the handles thick enough so they won't bend?

Also, the spoons on top and bottom end up looking really small because they're next to monster Gray Kunz spoons! It's funny what the frame of reference can do.

man I wish I got in on this, dreaming of a spoon and fish spatula set

Peter,
The handles are about .090" thick or 2.25mm which is thicker than the flatware in my pantry. They will bend with enough force as will any of the commercial flatware. In fact I am planning on leaving the handles on the tasters mostly flat, because after shaping the bowl, the angle seems perfect to me. If any of you guys want to adjust the handle that can be done.
Thanks,
Del

They are etching now, though this will take much longer than normal, this is a mix of two very acid resistant stainless steels.

Those look great Del!
Are the handles thick enough so they won't bend?

Also, the spoons on top and bottom end up looking really small because they're next to monster Gray Kunz spoons! It's funny what the frame of reference can do.

Sucess, and more to come.
Thanks,
Del

sp1.jpg

sp2.jpg

sp3.jpg

sp4.jpg

sp5.jpg

sp6.jpg

I got an Ad Hoc cookbook for xmas and this photo of Thomas Keller was in it. It made me think of my Ealy spoon. I often take my spoon out and lovingly look at it ;)

k.

keller_spoon.jpg

I thought ours would be drawer queens, but my wife put them out in one of the utensil canisters next to the stove and we've been using them regularly. The tasting spoon has gotten the most use by far, which I did not really expect. So they are nice to look at, but very useful as well! :cool2:

Thanks for posting Guys, its funny I just came in from working on Colin's spoon form, I knew it would be a challenge, but man that shape is a real bugger!!! Not the profile of the spoon but the shape of the bowl, so many complex curves. Its like blind fitting a dress with just a picture of your model, well maybe not that bad, thanks to Colin I have one of the spoons, but its still nasty. The good thing is that once I get the spoon form done I can use it many times. This is something I wish I could cast.
Del

Good way to test the curve of the handle on the tasters is to fish a ice cube out of a tall glass of water that's about 2/3 full. Fish out the ice and see if you can bring the cube to your mouth with out it falling off.

I got an Ad Hoc cookbook for xmas and this photo of Thomas Keller was in it. It made me think of my Ealy spoon. I often take my spoon out and lovingly look at it ;)

k.

There TK Go's again ripping me off....I so tired of him riding on my coattails...GOD bet in his next book he's holding a sheep horn suji saying " I love Bill Burke knives"

Thanks for posting Guys, its funny I just came in from working on Colin's spoon form, I knew it would be a challenge, but man that shape is a real bugger!!! Not the profile of the spoon but the shape of the bowl, so many complex curves. Its like blind fitting a dress with just a picture of your model, well maybe not that bad, thanks to Colin I have one of the spoons, but its still nasty. The good thing is that once I get the spoon form done I can use it many times. This is something I wish I could cast.
Del
dell have the proper spoon 3d modled and then have the press die CNCed that sure woudl get you way into the ball park maybe even on first base

dell have the proper spoon 3d modled and then have the press die CNCed that sure woudl get you way into the ball park maybe even on first base

If I ever do one that is a more complex shape I might just do that, but I am an ornery cuss, and I like to do as much of the work myself as I can. Besides this way I get to talk about it more ;)
Del

I have been using Kutz spoons for the last 3 years. The larger spoon (I think selling for 11 bucks now) is one hell of a spoon. It is build like a brick ****-house and infinite uses. BUT the smaller version is horrible. It needs more of a point on the tip for better quenelles. Keep in the 10-20 dollar range and you'll have every chef buying those spoon. MAKE IT QUENELLE PERFECT !!

Theres my two cents gentlemen. Happy Holidays. Hope this helps

He's just man, I don't know if that would even cover the materials!

There TK Go's again ripping me off....I so tired of him riding on my coattails...GOD bet in his next book he's holding a sheep horn suji saying " I love Bill Burke knives"

hahaha

...wait, you serious?

Johnny,
After the current projects are done, i hope to make a few things up for sale, The spoons are a blast for me and i have at least 5 billets stacked and ready to forge for more spoons, and other things. Give me a month or two to get things in prder and then we will see.
Thanks,
Del

Glad you're busy and having fun Del. I will keep an eye out for talk of more spoons from you down the road.

-Johnny

I have been using Kutz spoons for the last 3 years. The larger spoon (I think selling for 11 bucks now) is one hell of a spoon. It is build like a brick ****-house and infinite uses. BUT the smaller version is horrible. It needs more of a point on the tip for better quenelles. Keep in the 10-20 dollar range and you'll have every chef buying those spoon. MAKE IT QUENELLE PERFECT !!

Theres my two cents gentlemen. Happy Holidays. Hope this helps

I think it's more like $200 for the small one and $300 for the larger one.

I think it's more like $200 for the small one and $300 for the larger one.

I for one hope he makes a quenelle spoon. Plenty of top chefs on this site could send pictures to him of their current favorite to help him. I am in for $200 on that any time.:doublethumbsup:

Back