Staub or Le Creuset? Post some of your favorite recipes!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..... and one enameled 6qt I think. It is just on the large size for 3 people.....

Not sure what you are talking about, I am by myself and dream of the 9 quart oval... All the things you can do with left over braised meat, and many of them taste better a day or two later. Oh, and another +1 for the braising book, one of the best cookbooks out there IMHO.

Stefan

I have a hard time leaving left overs alone :p I would LOVE a 9qt, but allas my wife says the shelf is full, there must be room on it before you buy anything to put on it... Trust me I'm working on ways to condence what is already there...

FSCN0125.jpg

DO0209106.jpg

DSC00762.jpg

A few pics... older but hey :p

Staub for me! I use it on a glass top no problems. I think Staub and LC are pretty much 6 and 1/2 dozen the other the same, though I give the edge to Staub. I don't like the cheaper imitations made in China because I have my doubts about the lead levels their enamel. Nothing to back that up other than my spidey senses as a metallurgist.

Any soup goes into my Staub.

-AJ

i have 2 staubs and 1 LC. I like the staub more than the LC - the LC feels like a lightweight - my mind must be pretending that i get a better sear with the staubs. But i must admit that the first staub I owned had a lid that didn't fit right so i had to return it. But the two since then have been pristine. Oh - and staub's colors are prettier.

This thread is really making me want to go out and buy a 7.5 qt Staub or Le Creuset dutch oven. The only other large pot I have is a bare Lodge dutch oven but I don't like using it for chili because of the metallic aftertaste it imparts. I see pictures of guys at chili cookoffs that use bare cast iron for their chili, does prolonged use/seasoning ever make the aftertaste go away or how do they deal with the problem of tomatos and other acidic foods in bare cast iron?

... and one enameled 6qt I think. It is just on the large size for 3 people ....

Not sure what you are talking about, I am by myself and dream of the 9 quart oval... All the things you can do with left over braised meat, and many of them taste better a day or two later. ...

My wife whipped up a chicken stew for the two of us last night in our 5-qt. Fontignac (Staub's cheaper brother) and I'll be eating leftovers for the rest of the week (which is a good thing).

Speaking of cheaper brothers, I noticed Costco has a house brand 6.5-qt that's made in France and looks pretty nice.

I have three... "dutch ovens" a 2qt round, and a 3.5qt and 6.75qt oval. All Le Creuset. I don't really favor Staub over Le Creuset, or Le Creuset over Staub... I just happened to receive a Le Creuset as a gift and started the collection. I want the Goose Pot... not sure if the wife will ever allow that one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000162M7M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is really making me want to go out and buy a 7.5 qt Staub or Le Creuset dutch oven. The only other large pot I have is a bare Lodge dutch oven but I don't like using it for chili because of the metallic aftertaste it imparts. I see pictures of guys at chili cookoffs that use bare cast iron for their chili, does prolonged use/seasoning ever make the aftertaste go away or how do they deal with the problem of tomatos and other acidic foods in bare cast iron?

Properly seasoned CI will not leave off flavors to the average taster. However 10% +/- of the people out there have a more hightened taste reception or sensitivity to metalic flavors. When I was doing braises and cooking with CI pots and pans at my last place I never had a comment about off flavors. Not that the customers would be reliable base for comments really but the staff that gobbled up the left overs never said boo.. My first reaction to all comments about a metalic taste is to inspect the seasoning on the cookware...

I have three... "dutch ovens" a 2qt round, and a 3.5qt and 6.75qt oval. All Le Creuset. I don't really favor Staub over Le Creuset, or Le Creuset over Staub... I just happened to receive a Le Creuset as a gift and started the collection. I want the Goose Pot... not sure if the wife will ever allow that one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000162M7M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Kind of like me and Lodge, I got used to them and don't like how others stack up against them. I do keep an eye out for the older items in good price ranges. I'm looking at a #16 Camp DO and my wife glares at me every time I stop near it #16 DO Great size for pizza and such outdoors :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years back I was lucky enough to get a package deal from Costco, a 9qt Dutch oven and a 2qt with a kitchen tool set for $175!!! Don't know if you'll ever see those prices again, though.

I love my Creusets but also really dig the cool rooster handle on the Staubs, and the little spikes they put on the inside of the lid to promote condensation and water drops falling into your braise.

Oh man, I should not have opened that one. Gotta leave the office and find food now, and I am sure whatever I find will not be as good as this stew.

I only have one 5qt round Staub that I use for braising. Their 9qt oval dutch oven has been on my list for a while now, but I haven't gotten myself to spending that much on another pot again. It's not that there is a scarcity of cooking vessels in my one-person household...

Stefan

"It's not that there is a scarcity of cooking vessels in my one-person household..."

where then is your harem of bronze silicon(ed) women??

rgds

Properly seasoned CI will not leave off flavors to the average taster. However 10% +/- of the people out there have a more hightened taste reception or sensitivity to metalic flavors. When I was doing braises and cooking with CI pots and pans at my last place I never had a comment about off flavors. Not that the customers would be reliable base for comments really but the staff that gobbled up the left overs never said boo.. My first reaction to all comments about a metalic taste is to inspect the seasoning on the cookware...

I made a pot of red beans and rice last night, no acidic ingredients and therefore not metallic taste. However, last week I made a pot of chili that had a few fresh diced tomatoes plus some tomato puree that simmered in the pot for a couple hours and it had that metallic aftertaste. It tasted find, but the aftertaste was driving me crazy. I'll try re-seasoning.

I made a pot of red beans and rice last night, no acidic ingredients and therefore not metallic taste. However, last week I made a pot of chili that had a few fresh diced tomatoes plus some tomato puree that simmered in the pot for a couple hours and it had that metallic aftertaste. It tasted find, but the aftertaste was driving me crazy. I'll try re-seasoning.

After an "Acid test" of chili or the like I reseason my pots, the long term exposier to acids can eat away at the seasoning. Thats why I have 1 enamaled DO, just for acidic braises and such, like what I'm doing today :) Osso buko (sp) with tomato and white wine... that will go in the lined pot :p

Costco has a house brand 6.5-qt that's made in France and looks pretty nice.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Costco product. For the "in store" $69.99 price, it looks like a hell of a deal.

James

Does anyone have any experience with the enameled Lodge stuff? My dad's birthday is this Friday and he's mentioned before he'd like an enameled dutch oven. I don't have $200+ to spend on something like Le Creuset and don't want to roll the dice on some Food Network endorsed made in China POS. Perhaps I'll take a look at this Costco pot, but I'm not sure if 6.5 will cut it.

Does anyone have any experience with the enameled Lodge stuff? My dad's birthday is this Friday and he's mentioned before he'd like an enameled dutch oven. I don't have $200+ to spend on something like Le Creuset and don't want to roll the dice on some Food Network endorsed made in China POS. Perhaps I'll take a look at this Costco pot, but I'm not sure if 6.5 will cut it.

Lodge enameled ware is made in China, just so you know.

-AJ

I almost always cook chili in my lodge cast iron. I have yet to experience this metallic taste associated with acidic ingredients. Fortunately I'm not in that 10%.

I made a great pork chili verde yesterday in my LC 3.5 (I really do need to get a bigger pot but for one person it's more then enough). Put it on top of some cilantro rice on corn tortillas, better then anything I've had at any Mexican restaurants.

I'm going to go ahead and get him the 6.5 qt pot from Costco. I might end up grabbing one for me as well.

I keep reading that Costco as Copco for some reason. Someday I hope to get my parent's Copco set. Made in Denmark. Quite heavy duty. White enamel interior, blue exterior. They are still around I think though I have no idea how the quality compares to my parents 45 year old, could be better could be worse.

-AJ

I'm going to go ahead and get him the 6.5 qt pot from Costco. I might end up grabbing one for me as well.

I picked up the dutch oven for my dad. Seems well made, but definitely thinner than my Lodge bare cast iron and it feels lighter than the cheap-o $30 enameled dutch oven I bought from World Market. Overall it seems like a good value.

Back