Stone advice for Takeda kit, and overall.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
photo-7.jpg

My first perma soak... Bester #1200, Rika #5000, Ohishi #10000. After digging through the RV which is in the back yard, I found two Shuns which I was hiding since over a year ago (one barely used, one brand new) - look for them on the BST soon! And also found a bad boy $400 kamisori straight razor I thought I lost when living on the other side of the state. Razor is gonna get sharpened tomorrow a.m. with the knives.

:spin chair: First set of stones for me guys, thank you for all of the advice! :hungry:

Im still unsure if I should make a progression past the 10,000 grit for the edges, or even use it for the edges other than the razor collection which I have. I really want to shiny up some of my cleaver faces though...maybe then it would be worth it to look into higher grits?

Any further input on the subject?

Sweet kit! As to polishing the blade faces, I've only done that with sandpaper (wet/dry with some soapy h2o).

Cheers

Thanks man, I also have the Beston #500, but its sitting dry because none of my knives need that bad of attention.

Thats a great set. I use the same set-up except my 10k is a Naniwa. I have a bunch of other stones, but I always come back to this progression

You can always go up to the 10k to get that nice polished look, then drop it back to the rika to bring back some teeth...

I would suggest using stones only to polish bevels. It's so much easier to do the whole blade face with sandpaper, and if your blade face has any subtle hills, they will be exposed.

Nochop, chinacats you guys talk about sandpaper, Im leary of this method, what grits do you guys use?

I'd stick with the Rika for your knives. I have one and haven't used it for ages until recently and it is a fantastic stone

Nochop, chinacats you guys talk about sandpaper, Im leary of this method, what grits do you guys use?

I start with 400 (I also have some 180 for when there are deeper scratches to be removed) and work my way up to 2k...finish with a bit of steel wool #0000 for a fairly refined finish. I think the 'proper' way is with fingerstones, but that is not something I have tried.

Latest posts

Back