Stones... favs?...lineups?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Gesshin stones I've used (mostly the soakers not the S&G) tend to offer more desirable traits with fewer tradeoffs (or tradeoffs to a lesser degree) compared to others I have: some Imanishi/Bester, Naniwa, Suehiro, King, Sigma Power. The Sigmas as a whole might be my current 2nd favorite overall brand in synthetics, but lose out in cutting speed
-Pretty good feedback
-More cutting action per stone expenditure
-The ones I've used have been pretty dang fast in general. The 2k and 4k soakers are ridiculous for their grit range.
-Some mud/slurry generation (as opposed to just swarf skating on a nonresponsive surface), which I like

Under what conditions would they be a suboptimal choice - if you sharpen in a way that it takes X amount of strokes to find your angle and get going, or get into a habit with feeling like sharpening takes X number of strokes or X amount of time, there will be more than necessary metal removal and overuse of these stones.

You get what you pay for with these

Foody, compared to your naniwas, how do you personally feel Gesshins compare

Faster cutting at the grits I can compare evenly (Chosera/Pro and the Gouken series), very noticeable. More desirable if you like a little mud getting worked up. Faster cutting isn't everything, mind you, like, I treat the Naniwa Hayabusa 4k as more of a refinement stone whereas on the Gesshin 4k had to try and dial back to not generate a sizeable burr with it. Feedback is more telling on the Gesshins, probably some of that is that I've got predominantly the Gesshin soakers and am comparing to more S&G Naniwa stones. I don't own any Gesshin 5-8k grit finishers (yet) and am happy with the synthetic finishers I've currently got
I really don't think I've gotten a 'bad' synthetic. There's been a few I didn't jive with at first, but some months later with better technique and awareness have come back to and understand + enjoy more. All have been at least fair or good or great, but there is also that 'better' tier when you have to compare like this :)

I find that good soakers have better feedback and are faster cutters for the same grit. S&G is more convenient if it's a togo kit or you can not permasoak.

If you live in Europe you may get the Naniwa Pro series at reasonable prices. I would suggest 400, 800 and 3k, corresponding to JIS 500, 1200 and 4k in the end result. The 2k is great for deburring simple stainless.

Interesting, does it means that Naniwa is using ISO and not JIS? Does it apply to their old chosera line?

No, it's about the end result. A Chosera / Naniwa Pro 800 will give an 1200-ish end-result, if used lightly with a bit of mud.

No, it's about the end result. A Chosera / Naniwa Pro 800 will give an 1200-ish end-result, if used lightly with a bit of mud.

I see. That's alignes with my experience of Chosera 800.
While they use JIS (I assume), it seems that the performance is more aligned to ANSI scale.

Faster cutting at the grits I can compare evenly (Chosera/Pro and the Gouken series), very noticeable. More desirable if you like a little mud getting worked up. Faster cutting isn't everything, mind you, like, I treat the Naniwa Hayabusa 4k as more of a refinement stone whereas on the Gesshin 4k had to try and dial back to not generate a sizeable burr with it. Feedback is more telling on the Gesshins, probably some of that is that I've got predominantly the Gesshin soakers and am comparing to more S&G Naniwa stones. I don't own any Gesshin 5-8k grit finishers (yet) and am happy with the synthetic finishers I've currently got
I really don't think I've gotten a 'bad' synthetic. There's been a few I didn't jive with at first, but some months later with better technique and awareness have come back to and understand + enjoy more. All have been at least fair or good or great, but there is also that 'better' tier when you have to compare like this :)

Thanks foody. So it seems overall you find the Gesshins a little more aggressive?

Lately, for my good white or blue steel knives, I go red aoto then aizu and get great cutting performance. For my stainless knives I just stick with JNS 1k. I like a toothy edge.

Back