Stropping

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real point of my post though was that using these sprays on wood instead of leather delivers a big difference that you will notice.

Most leathers will soak the compounds sub-surface which then don't allow them to work so efficiently while balsa (very porous as well) seems to float the compound on the surface if the compound is thick enough. I prefer to use a compound and leather that worked well together because when you find this combination you get the added benefit of the leather providing draw (drag) to the edge which pulls burrs which is one thing that balsa doesn't do, balsa can align and refine but provides no draw.

My point is simply that I've been resisting trying balsa for quite a while because I don't believe they will improve my edges. Posts like yours reinstill that urge to test everything and I don't want to have another dang strop lying around! :bat:

Come on, it's only a little, skinny piece of wood. It won't take up much space. You know you want to try it. :goodevil:

If you already have one of the sprays then you only need to spend a couple of dollars for a piece of balsa. If you don't then PM me and we'll work something out. :thumbsup:

PS - I've tested over 30 manufacturers offerings (that's well over 100 samples tested - took months) in all of these compounds available (because I am that knut) and found only a couple worth consideration from all the ones I tried. The thing is that most worked great and would impress anyone but a few excelled and those are the ones I'm interested in. :)

Maybe that is why my particular leather + 0.5 chromium oxide combo work so well...still using the same stuff I bought from you 2 years ago (and the felt + 1 micron diamond you had I love for deburring) :cool2: shameless plug

Come on, it's only a little, skinny piece of wood. It won't take up much space. You know you want to try it. :goodevil:

If you already have one of the sprays then you only need to spend a couple of dollars for a piece of balsa. If you don't then PM me and we'll work something out. :thumbsup:

Yeah. I think it's inevitable... Now I have to find some place local to make me a strip. :p

I love the hell out of my balsa CrO strop. I use leather and balsa after sharpening, but then just straight to the balsa for touch up honing. It keeps everything nice.

Sometimes I think :idea2: I need to quit being so cheap and invest in some more compounds, so I can go to Nirvannna that is the 4-sided Salty rig.
Then it occurs to me that all of my knives are plenty sharp and that $100 on compounds would get me a good start on a new knife (c'mon Gesshin petty :hungry:). So I don't end up changing, I just sit in this holding pattern. But hey, at least the weather out here is quite nice.:hula:

I bought a 12x3x1/2" piece of balsa for $2 cut the balsa down to fit my stone holder and have been using it with some "yellow crayon" (flexcut gold) with pretty great results. The crayon isn't very fine 2 microns or so and gives me a very strong toothy convex edge that allows me to sharpen only every 2 or 3 weeks with only 1 gyuto used on a fast prep line.

Yeah. I think it's inevitable... Now I have to find some place local to make me a strip. :p

I just got 6 feet (two 3' sections) of 3" wide Balsa that is 1/4" thick at a local art supply place for about $6. You can glue it to a backing or just put it on some of that non slip grippy mesh stuff you put underneath rugs to make them stop sliding on hardwood floors.

I just cut up the balsa to fit in a stone holder. I find that having a strop the dimensions of a stone take makes the whole process easier--if I strop it like I finish on stones, I'm consistent.

Back