Stupid Rosle Lefty peeler

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always peeled away from me. I don't do it knyfenerd's way though, I do the whole carrot with each stroke. Surely it is quicker because the skin doesnt get in your way?
+1
Also when I am peeling potatoes I found that I am using my left wrists snap motion as much as use the peeler in my right hand. I have't measured how fast I would peel a case but when we had our daily "potato peel off " with my sautee guy for about a year (he was using the technique demonstreted in the video ) my technique proved faster and more effortless. For the record that guy was fast!!

your fast. but i dont think that its because of the teqnique, but rather your practice. im not much slower, i guess. do you guys usually cut the ends or do you peel em?

No , all I did was when I was peeeling the potato I pressed the peeler on top of the potato ( I am talking about a case of almost identical looking russets or idahos) while moving the peeler downwards at the same time I would rotate my wrist 90 degrees anti clockwise . By doing that with one stroke from top to the bottom the area that peeler covered would be peeled.And using my left fingers and palm I would rotate the potato clockwise. FWIW I have been using OXO"s wide grip Y shaped peeler (best in the market IMO)

HA funny stuff. I peel a carrot one stroke the whole length unless they're small. (hmmm is it a size thing?) Looks slower but double work for one stroke. And I like to lay asparagus flat on the board when they're skinny to avoid breaking.

that's too erratic fro me, i go along the whole length of the carrot inward, about 9 strokes. efficient, and less chance of taking a chunk out of a knuckle. :D sometimes i'm too lazy to take out the peeler and just do it with a knife, i've even used a spoon before, hahaha.

C'mon guys. Someone tell me they can do it FASTER towards themselves, I mean prove it. -with a video

If you've got a 50lb bag of carrots or potatoes you absolutely have to peel in 15 minutes, would you slowly peel inward, dodging peels and scraping knuckles?
:threadjacked::threadjacked::threadjacked::threadjacked:

Sorry for the thread jacking No Chop, but I really take offense to someone telling me they don't understand how or why I could/would peel this way.

To each his own, you guys can be slow if you want to!
:flame::flame::flame::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

:popcorn:

in my head I couldn't see going away from myself. But when I was a kid I always went away, straight into the trash. I can't see doing so with a y peeler tho.

well, i just peeled a carrot. actually i dont think that your faster at all, but i guess my peeler takes off more.

I go away from me, but I ain't fast either way. :)

Chris, that video made me laugh. At the end, I like the slam and implied, "Take that"!

If anyone needs a reason not to peel towards themselves is because you never cut with a knife toward yourself. And you can all peel a carrot with a petty right? :) Naturally that would extend to a peeler.

-AJ

I cut in hand towards myself pretty regular.. Did try going away from myself today after seeing the videos. No doubt it will be faster for carrots, I'm not convinced for potatoes though.. Need another vid to see that vs the way I currently do it..

I have always peeled away especially after cutting myself a couple of times peeling towards myself. The Rosle makes it really easy, I compared it to my old one and its no contest.

Chris it cracks me up that you're so passionate about this, I like to go slow whilst peeling and really never gave it any thought before this thread even though I've seen many different ways that people prefer to use. Lol!!

I peel potatoes towards me with a paring knife but that's totally different. My first job in the kitchen was peeling potatoes and nothing else so and I'm pretty quick at it.

Working in a country club, there is often times when four or five guys will stand around and peel half a dozen full cases of potatoes. Also, making gallons of demi glaze calls for an awful lot of peeled carrots.

It's funny that we'll spend hundreds on a knife, but depend on a $4 peeler.

At home, I too prefer to use a paring knife, but that's probably just to hone my skills; and two or three potatoes is a little different than two or three hundred.

In other news, the flipped Rosle has been treating me rather nicely. It's not very wide, but it is extremely sharp. I don't find it overly comfortable either, but it seems solidly made. That added with the fact that the blade itself is removable and sharpenable should lead to a long life....

Back