Suggestions on re-profiling this 4" paring?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this other than just the standard, shortened spearpoint?
That's my plan; making it about 3" long or thereabouts. And I don't think I'll mind it at 3 inches.
I envisioned a macro nakiri but there's just not enough meat on the bone for that. lol
a01.jpg

TIA!

For sure you will have to correct the concavity in the middle. I guess you would already have done most of it by moving the belly a bit by making the upswing start just a bit earlier.
I don't see the need of shortening it. First get it flat.

Like this? Sorta like a narrow, pointy sheepsfoot?
Yes, about. I would add some belly and turn the tip in a spear point, but that will depend on your technique. When forward slicing you don't want too low a tip or you may damage both board and tip. My major problem with short knives is the little contact area with the board, causing a lot of sharpening reducing considerably its life span.

Last edited:
My major problem with short knives is the little contact area with the board, causing a lot of sharpening reducing considerably its life span.

The opposite is true for me. I find that petty and paring knives have better edge retention and longer lifespans than other knives in my kit because they so rarely make board contact. I mostly use them in hand or for draw cuts.

I’d grind off the guard (?) so the heel is functional plus easier to sharpen (dremel with course sanding wheel works great for major metal removal). As far as the profile goes - Flatten first , then draw different tip profiles on the blade with a sharpie to find one you like.

The opposite is true for me. I find that petty and paring knives have better edge retention and longer lifespans than other knives in my kit because they so rarely make board contact. I mostly use them in hand or for draw cuts.
Using the chef's for all board work does make sense. It's the idea behind the French chef's knife, after all. But you rarely will find vintage parers and petties: all ground away.

I’d grind off the guard (?) so the heel is functional plus easier to sharpen (dremel with course sanding wheel works great for major metal removal).
For the fingerguard much less drastic solutions may do as well: shorten it, or have it flush with the relief bevel, or cutting off the lowest part at 45°. Removing the entire fingerguard is a kind of disfigurement I rather would avoid. Apart from that, I'm reluctant to use powered tools, both for safety and avoiding overheating.

Last edited:
I’d grind off the guard (?) so the heel is functional plus easier to sharpen (dremel with course sanding wheel works great for major metal removal). As far as the profile goes - Flatten first , then draw different tip profiles on the blade with a sharpie to find one you like.
@Ericfg These are 95%+ in-hand work for me: I'd (also) grind off the integral bolster, and I like having that slight concavity in the middle of the blade for peeling spherical items. I'd keep most of it as is, even if it means I have to spend some time sharpening the concavity portion on the edge of a stone.

So here's what I've done so far, including an overnight in oil:
View attachment 285515
The heel's not perfect but I do want to save the bolster; that's the main reason I bought it as it's the first Henckels paring I've seen with one. Gonna take it into work today and give it a go.
Like it! A good idea not fighting for these last millimetres close to the fingerguard. Have seen it lead to an overgrind just before it, resulting eventually in a hole.

So here's what I've done so far, including an overnight in oil:
View attachment 285515
The heel's not perfect but I do want to save the bolster; that's the main reason I bought it as it's the first Henckels paring I've seen with one. Gonna take it into work today and give it a go.

Looks great and that bit of protruding heel won't matter much for most paring tasks.

Thanks! Worked quite well yesterday doing the usual paring knife tasks. Took a very nice edge after some initial bevel-setting(at 19 degrees) from coarse to fine on my guided system. That old Solingen steel is still a great performer IMO.

Back