Suji as a main knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Main thing is if working for you that's what counts. My work Gyuto's always did all my sharpening on Medium stones.

Single Bevels Polishing stones. Yanagiba's would sharpen after a heavy fish day on a 5K, later on got a Kitayama 8K. The SB's you are taking from sharp to razor edges. Don't need to go to lower grits unless with wear moving up bevel line.

You are correct with thin Sugi's over sharpening will wear them down, its a trade off when you wear them out get another one.

These days with high hrt. steel gyuto's like to finish off on 4K. Just personal preference, really no need to take gyuto's past medium stones.

Definitely.

I was a few deep after work last night so I probably didn't do the best job explaining things.

My Ginga suji was a real eureka moment for me when I originally got it. Just how it cut food and the edge retention it had... I road it hard on poly boards for about two weeks before even feeling the need to touch up the edge. When it arrived it had no visible bevel and so I was unsure how to go about sharpening it. Looking online I saw that in the past on KF that KCMA said with lasers (like a Suisin IH) he liked to keep the almost non-existent factory bevel and would only polish the blade face with higher grit stones, similar to what TheDispossessed was talking about. I decided to go about sharpening it like I do all my other knives - set a (low) angle and make a new bevel. It still performs well but it doesn't have the same cutting ability and retention like it did when I first got it. Which is strange because I haven't had that experience with any of my other knives - including a Ginga gyuto.

If you intend to use it as a slicer -- for roasts e.g. -- consider the longer one. It allows you to make a clean slice with one single stroke.
With the FKH forcing a patina is imperative. The steel contains some remaining sulfur, and will smell terribly unless a patina is installed.

A low suji won't last as long, and the bade won't be so well suited to scooping stuff up to transfer it into a pot or bowl. That would be the my main worry.

i think the fewer the knives the better and a suji is a very flexible knife

Concise it is then DaveB. I'm of the camp that a knife doesn't need to be a laser to still be a great cutter, my main interest is something that cuts incredibly well. I have heard great things about Del's knives and figure it's worth a shot. Worst case, I know from past experience that I do like laser's and can always get one again :)

Benuser, good to know about the Fuji, I have heard this before about their carbons and your thoughts further reinforce that sentiment. If I get one I'll have to pick up a nice bottle of French's Mustard to go with it!

King Matt, that is a good perspective, I'm definitely about minimalism and keeping my knife collection small but highly functional. Ideally I'll keep something like a big ol' 270mm Gyuto around for heavy/big/nasty looking jobs, a daily use knife (long petty, suji, or line knife) and then a bread knife (already have the well respected MAC for this). Figure that set up will do a nice job covering basically all my home kitchen needs.

Thanks for the input everyone, excited to have such a nice discussion going here regarding this!

Hey man,

Would you mind speaking on his sharpening practices more?

I have found that I like having small(er) bevels on my knives but have also noticed that I prefer a coarser grit finish on my gyutos. At my current gig I'm mostly using a 210mm stainless gyuto and generally only use a 1k stone. I find with regular stropping that edge will last me a week or two. I have a 210mm stainless Ginga petty/suji and I love it. Great knife. But I don't like putting it to the stones all that often (to help extend its life + b/c the added flex during service - although it doesn't flex that much). The idea of using only higher grit stones is interesting to me. Did you see him sharpening much? Would he only thin/sharpen at an extremely low angle? How often would he take it to the stones?

Thanks

he sharpened every night slowly and quietly. i believe he always hit the stone at a very low angle evenly on both sides.

I prefer "succint" or "concise". "Brief" infers that something was left out just for the sake of brevity....:nono:

You said yourself, in your own linked thread, that you were going to write a "brief review"?! :laughat:

Ealy Line Knife - A quickie

A brief review of Del's Line Knife:

I picked up one of Del's line knives (Thanks Rick!) early this summer ...

Back