D. Martell Summer School 2012

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Summer School 2012

Also, we'll offer a 10% discount (to any student signed up for this class) on any item listed in our online store if ordered for and picked up at class that day. :)

I want to remind those attending of the 10% discount available to you. Please note that we do not stock anything at this time (w have to order from either Japan or our west coast warehouse) so if you want stones for class please order them at least 7 business days prior to the class date to ensure that they'll be there for you. The best way to go about ordering is to contact me via PM or email with your request and I'll follow by sending you an invoice.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. :)

Dave

How many knives should one bring? How about strops and J-nats?

How many knives should one bring? How about strops and J-nats?

A minimum of one double bevel is needed but you may want to bring a selection and even a single bevel along just in case. For strops bring whatever you want ....or not, we have some on hand regardless. On the naturals, please feel free to bring what you have but these aren't required or needed.

Only 4 more days! :)

I don't think I will be able to make it unfortunately. We are short 2 cooks this weekend and I just don't see any way around that. I can look into it tomorrow but no promises. Sucks too cause I was really looking forward to this one. :(

I don't think I will be able to make it unfortunately. We are short 2 cooks this weekend and I just don't see any way around that. I can look into it tomorrow but no promises. Sucks too cause I was really looking forward to this one. :(

Time for a new job? :D

My dad talked to you on the phone the other day and signed up actually. I am picking up a carbon gyuto to over night him tomorrow; luckily for me he is giving it back to me as a "thank you" :) :) Hopefully I'll get to meet you one day too, I'm jealous. BUT I cant wait to get some pointers from him later on! I'd love to take the class if I had more time.

I'm a definite "no" now as well. I'm off on Sunday, but the way my flights have worked out next week I've had to move my "vacation" by a couple of days. I couldn't possibly justify getting to Allentown (and on up to your place) and then three days later heading back out to go to the other side of the world. Next time -- there's always a next time.

It's getting hot in the shop so make sure that you dress cool for the class people.

They got these fancy department stores in and around Philly that sells these box shaped things. You stick 'em in yer window and hook it up to some electricity and it blows out cold air. Now I just keep cool by staying in my cement pond.

I only wish that I could do A/C in this shop. I have at least one A/C unit in storage but the windows in the shop are flip out and won't allow for them to be installed. Two years ago my neighbor lent me his roll around portable unit that cools his entire house and it couldn't put a dent in the shop heat. I sometimes think about those giant ass evaporative cooler things but I'm afraid of rusting up all my equipment. So unless I can figure out something else I'm stuck with fans. :(

Window boxes can be installed in walls if you cut holes in the wall!

If you hang canvas tarps over the holes they won't know!

Let's make that 3 people I'm short this weekend now. I'm starting to consider your advice Dave.

Let's make that 3 people I'm short this weekend now. I'm starting to consider your advice Dave.

Oh damn - good luck there Rick......oh BTW, I bet it's cooler in the shop than in your kitchen....just sayin'! :wink:

See you sunday, just bought a ticket.

Oh i bet my kitchen is cooler...we got a sick AC setup.

Oh damn - good luck there Rick......oh BTW, I bet it's cooler in the shop than in your kitchen....just sayin'! :wink:

Well, last week not one but two people on separate occasions one day apart crashed a golf cart at full speed into the ac compressor that runs into the kitchen. So it's pretty rough right now. $3000 worth of damage at least. They were both caught on film and let go immediately. Wanna see the footage?

I looked around and found I don't have any true J-knives. Will my Artifex and Addict be okay to bring?

Back