sushi rice - 'lil help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I resorted to getting Takara mirin mail order from Takara. I like having mirin with no salt in it!

I was taught to always use cold water, so that's what we do for the sushi bar.

It's been said before. Electric cooker. But I'm Asian, and it's a rice cooker is a kitchen necessity. The technology and computerized fuzzy logic mumbo jumbo has been tweaked to perfection to produce perfect rice. It's the price of a great knife. Here's mine. It's an induction heating pressure cooker. It also slow cooks and steams and has a few other functions. My favorite is in making a sweet dessert drink called Shik-hae (Korean) which requires heating with malt powder.

I've been using rice cookers for so long that I'd probably ruin my rice if I tried to make it the old fashioned way.

http://www.hmart.com/shopnow/shopnow_newsub.asp?p=WHA-LX0601

Zojirushi Rice Cooker wins! Can't live without it.

I have a perfectly functional but used small 3-cup Zojirushi NS-LAC05 rice cooker that I'm about to donate to Goodwill, but if someone wants it, I'll give it to them for the cost of shipping :) It's not a pressure cooker, but it's been a reliable friend for a few years.

I have the same model living on my counter (The 8 cup Zo lives in the pantry.) . It's great for a small quantity, 2 - 3 servings. Very generous offer

Back