Knives & Stones Syousin Chiku Migaki Gyuto by Yu Kurosaki, holiday special edition

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm excited to hear your thoughts performance wise. So go chop some stuff!

Making a stir fry tonight so lots of prep...yay. Lol, if I knew a local chef well, I'd offer to do prep on the weekends for free just to get to chop stuff.

I'll post thoughts on it after I get to use it a bit. It'll have some competition, I thinned my Haburn wide bevel slightly and put a different edge on it and it really woke that knife up. I was cutting some delicata squash last night and man did it blaze through it, interesting that the little stuff makes a noticeable difference. I'm really looking forward to using this one.

Mike

Any chance for a second batch of holiday special 240s?
After all, Christmas is still awhile off, not to mention New Year ;)

The problem is I will only receive another batch after the new year :(
and the handle is way too costly to become a regular fixture

Should have bought one instead of waiting for a reply about the saya. Would love one with the upgraded handle when they come back in stock.

Handle is out of the top drawer. Not too blingy but definitely feels like an upgrade. Here she is post thinning finished sanjo style

Badger

Can you elaborate on the finishing? I have the same knife. The only thing I don't like about it is the bead blasted false blade road. Also, how much thinning did you find necessary?

Well, I'm very curious. Looks like it took some work. I'm not afraid of work. It looks like you did a full progression on the whole knife. Did you finish with stones? Looks like a high polish.

Two coarse stones to do the heavy lifting. Naniwa 220 superstone and bester 400. Wet & dry 60 through 600 for handle-to-tip sanding. Micromesh full progression for polish. Realised it needed some more thinning so had to repeat a lot of it. That said, buy yourself a flapwheel attachment for your drill and to the donkey work establishing the horizontal scratches patterns with that. And emery powder on balsa wood finger strips with some sort of sticky paste (I use a diaper cream) makes for a much smoother finish than wet-&-dry

Back