Tadatsuna

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be variations in heat treat between the brands some folks (KCMA) swear by their Tads even in terms of retention, but do state that it requires a milder technique resulting in gentler board contact. The Steel in the Tads is Ginsanko if I remember correctly, where the Suisin is 19C27 I think, don't know if that makes much difference though?

Last time I checked ginsanko looked more like 440c
Edit: nvm I'm thinking of gin1

Would anyone who has the 270mm Tad gyuto mind telling me how long the blade is heel to tip?

I have the Inox Tadatsuna Gyuto, and a suji, I have used Kono HD's, kono whites, like TK said, the IT just doesn't last. It gets sharp as all hell, I have only sharpened the Tadatsunas out of the listed knives. They sharpen real well, and fast for stainless knives, but it doesn't last for an hour, not polyboard friendly at all, I still use mine every day, but there is better options.

If you can't keep an edge on an Ikkanshi -Tad for more than an hour then there's some thing very very wrong. I've had a Western handled Inox IT 185 gyuto, 270 suj and Petty for years now and edge retention is a hair splitting difference from the Suisin Inox. Only a very accomplished sharpener would ever see the difference. Then again I'd expect a Honyaki to take a slight edge. I can't comment on the Gessin but I can tell you that I've never had an edge retention issue with my Tads.

If you can't keep an edge on an Ikkanshi -Tad for more than an hour then there's some thing very very wrong. I've had a Western handled Inox IT 185 gyuto, 270 suj and Petty for years now and edge retention is a hair splitting difference from the Suisin Inox. Only a very accomplished sharpener would ever see the difference. Then again I'd expect a Honyaki to take a slight edge. I can't comment on the Gessin but I can tell you that I've never had an edge retention issue with my Tads.

Putting the Tad Inox gyutos on almost the level as Suisin Inox honyaki is really saying something. I had no idea tads inox steel was THAT good.

I bought a few Ikkanshi-Tadatsuna YSS Inox Western knives through V and V Logistics Corporation- 180mm petty, 270mm suji & a 255mm Gyuto (the gyuto was custom made to my specs) and have not had any edge retention issues. I really like these knives.

Back