Takada no Hamono Blacksmith Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genghis_F

Often wrong but never in doubt
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Tanaka forges Takada knives, but occasionally see Shiraki listed.
Is there a way to easily tell who forges what? Or is shiraki no longer associated?
And is M Takada is the sharpener for all Takada knives?

Sorry for if this is basic

TIA

All this time I’ve been duking it out during limited retailer drops and I could have just ordered a Takada via IG?!

All this time I’ve been duking it out during limited retailer drops and I could have just ordered a Takada via IG?!
Im not sure about the lead time for those
I chatted with him about visiting the shop
He’s very nice and welcoming. I’ve been told that stock on hand is pretty limited so not sure I’ll have anymore success scoring one when im there in person next month

I know Tanaka forges the Blue 1. I think Nakagawa for ginsan. Not sure about the others, but it's one of the two.
From what Mitsuaki-san told me on IG, Tanaka forges Blue 1 and White 2 ( He mentioned they are his favorite ) and the rest are by Nakagawa. I recently ordered a 210mm Blue 1 non Damascus Suiboku which I will pick up in person next month.

From what Mitsuaki-san told me on IG, Tanaka forges Blue 1 and White 2 ( He mentioned they are his favorite ) and the rest are by Nakagawa. I recently ordered a 210mm Blue 1 non Damascus Suiboku which I will pick up in person next month.

Looking at old listings at Tosho, White 1 was done by Tanaka as well.

He also does blue one Damascus from nakagawa occasionally. Maybe his normal blue 1 too. You can tell here with the different Damascus:

I'd be happy with either. Both are great (just from a visual perspective I like Tanaka's Damascus more though)

It is my understanding that he has only made one Suminagashi forged by Nakagawa and it was for Nakagawa's personal use and he does not offer them for sale. (for Gyutos at least)

Did you order on IG? Is there a process to order or just tell him what you’re looking for?
Maybe I should try to get an order in first

Did you order on IG? Is there a process to order or just tell him what you’re looking for?
Maybe I should try to get an order in first
I just mentioned that I would be traveling to Japan, I told him I was interested in a Gyuto and if it would be possible to pick one up in person. He asked which steel I preferred. I asked him what his favs are and he mentioned Blue 1 and White 2. I choose 210mm Blue 1 with a Rosewood handle.

He gave me the following pricing:

Suiboku Gyuto 210mm White 2
Rosewood - 46970 JPY
Ebony - 53900 JPY

Suiboku Gyuto 210mm Ginsan
Rosewood - 55000JPY
Ebony - 61930JPY

Suiboku Gyuto 210mm Blue 1
Rosewood - 56380JPY
Ebony - 63310JPY

To clarify, yes this was all through IG.

If you have particular dimensions in mind, that would also be good to discuss at time of ordering. Most of the 240s are going to run standard Sakai short at around 230. A lot of them are not very tall at the heel, either, often around 45ish mm, which is too short for my preferences.

If you have particular dimensions in mind, that would also be good to discuss at time of ordering. Most of the 240s are going to run standard Sakai short at around 230. A lot of them are not very tall at the heel, either, often around 45ish mm, which is too short for my preferences.
Still enjoying the one I got from you a few years back. Inspired to pull it out for dinner prep.

IMG_4428.jpeg

Latest posts

Back