Takeda: It's baaaack!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you're really liking the knife now--that's what's important. Glad it worked out!

Now THAT'S the way it should look, but be aware, these bad boys (when this thin) bend mercilessly! Don't ask me how I know. Just take it easy and all's well.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get these pics posted. My 1yo son is cutting 12 (yes TWELVE!) teeth at once. I haven't slept in a week.

Here is a pic of what it looked like when I first got it

image-13.jpg

As you can see, a lot of the finish is gone now

image-12.jpg

And here is another shot of the edge. Hope you can see it better than the other one.

image-11.jpg

I am definitely enjoying it a lot better now that I don't have to saw through stuff. I'm also loving the natural feel of the wa handle. I can't believe how natural it feels. I think I would like to get a custom handle sometime in the future just to pretty it up some more :wink:

I never knew until I used a wa. Now I get pissed when I don't use one. Literally. There's a lot of ****** handles out there. And the wa succeeds based on its simplicity, and sheer use- ability. Not knocking westerns, but I feel that wa's are more versatile in general.

Now that is what it should have looked like in the first place. I'm glad there was a happy ending to the story.

Have you sent a follow up with thanks? Perhaps if you send a letter, you can mention how much more you like it, and ask why more knives don't have such high grinds. If you wish to be polite, you can ask if there are any disadvantages to the thin grind that other customers dislike.

wow look nice, look like a totally different knife, did he change the angle of the bevel?

Have you sent a follow up with thanks? Perhaps if you send a letter, you can mention how much more you like it, and ask why more knives don't have such high grinds. If you wish to be polite, you can ask if there are any disadvantages to the thin grind that other customers dislike.

I sent a thank you and let him know how much I love it. I didn't ask about any grind issues. Jeremy from Chubo also sent a follow up email asking my thoughts as he and Takeda-San are good friends. I have to say, as disappointed as I was when I first received it, the overall process of getting it fixed was very pleasant and I made a new FB friend in the process lol. He's a very lovely man.

wow look nice, look like a totally different knife, did he change the angle of the bevel?

I think he did judging by the before and after pics. It seems to be more angled then it was previously

I never knew until I used a wa. Now I get pissed when I don't use one. Literally. There's a lot of ****** handles out there. And the wa succeeds based on its simplicity, and sheer use- ability. Not knocking westerns, but I feel that wa's are more versatile in general.

I was thinking about that the other day when I was cutting a ton of veg for curry soup. Normally my hand would start cramping after all the chopping but I didn't have any fatigue with the Takeda. It felt odd using my Hiromoto to cut up butternut squash after all the chopping with the Takeda. I can't imagine the fatigue chefs have :scared4:

Back