Takeda question..to have or not have...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one want to clean up the blob of glue here are some tips. Cut with a knife if you dare, sharpen a piece of brass to scrape off of the blade, the brass is softer than the blade and will not scratch it. Wipe away the last bits with acetone.

These are just general advice, I haven't seen a takeda yet :)

If one want to clean up the blob of glue here are some tips. Cut with a knife if you dare, sharpen a piece of brass to scrape off of the blade, the brass is softer than the blade and will not scratch it. Wipe away the last bits with acetone.

These are just general advice, I haven't seen a takeda yet :)

Takedas are clad knives , even with brass you will scratch the soft cladding stainless or iron , over the kuro uchi finish it will be quite visible too

Bill,

I explained your conundrum to Mary Lu and she said, "Sounds like he's chasing the fantasy of an ideal rather than the reality." Gotta love her. She keeps me grounded without being a dream killer.

Cheers,

Rick

Rick...Realism and kindness in one bundle. You guys make a fine paring. Very diplomatic.
I do excel at self-torture. Could be that it's time to let this one go...I think.

I have about a half dozen Takeda AS knives and love them all. Extremely thin, well ground and sharp, but most are older. I have a 300 gyuto that I take delight in push cutting a big boneless ham like it was a carrot. Amazing knife. I buy most takeda AS blades that I find. Not many around any more. The NAS stainless clad seem much thicker to me. As for Knifewear YMMV depending on who you talk to. Had one of their managers? Suggest I celebrate the purchase of a 270 sujihiki by making tacos with it .... tacos??? Made me wonder whether he had ever used a sujihiki. Like I say YMMV. Am I wrong but there seems a trend that long standing Japanese bladesmiths are turning more and more of their production over to less skilled apprentices yet taking advantage of the premium pricing their names command?

I have the same good experience with Takeda, although mine are a few years old, all AS (carbon cladded) knives. My advice is get them from Tosho and ask them to be as thin as possible behind the edge.

Received my takeda NAS bunka 220mm, used a bit for prep and then put it in drawer and forgot about it, i took it out yesterday for general cleaning and oiling all the knives. And i found my takeda has curved slightly on the edge part, its so minimal that only if you put it on the flat surface you will notice. It was basically still brand new, never sharpened. Now im worried if it will curved even more in the future

I got my 300 gyuto from Tosho. I love it❤️❤️❤️! I bought a Takeda Yanigaba from Chubb. Turns out it really is a sujihiki and has a couple of wiggles in the blade. It doesn’t really affect the cutting performance but were it to develop into a curve I expect it would seriously complicate sharpening. I have no first hand experience but understand that blades can be returned to Takeda’s shop for straightening if needed.

Plus, there've been some changes to Takeda's grind in the past three years since this thread was last active :p

Which brings me to the point of how many “Takeda’s” are now produced by the master versus how many are produced by less skilled apprentices. Am I wrong or does the move to stainless factory clad blades eliminate the more difficult task of forge welding softer reactive steel to a hard carbon core. As for me I tend to stick to reactive clad blades for the majority of my purchases.

Here’s the photo to show you how it curved. The spine is perfectly straight. Just the cutting edge side that feels like a slight curve in the middle part.
I tried to send Takeda-san a message. But he insist for me to send it to him so he can check it directly and by doing that, for whatever might happen, i need to pay the shipping for each way which will cost around 100-120$aud.
If he will fix the knife, im happy to pay the shipping cost. But what if he decide that theres nothing wrong with it, and he will explain that his knife is tools for kitchen and every single one will have their own “unique” characteristic and so on.
I can say this because i have friend who sent his knife back because there were problem with the handle. And he sent it back to my friend and said it is fixed when nothing is done. In the end, all he has is regret and losing that 120$

Attachments

• C4BB624E-0B87-4885-8BF4-EB28B0D5EBEF.jpeg
    C4BB624E-0B87-4885-8BF4-EB28B0D5EBEF.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 149
  • D5907EE0-ED1C-4901-BF99-9915617D4EFE.jpeg
    D5907EE0-ED1C-4901-BF99-9915617D4EFE.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 143
Hmmmm .... a difficult one. I would probably send it in with the expectation that it would be straight on its return. I don’t see a curve like yours as falling within the parameters of a “normal variation”. Given that it is a NAS blade it is current production and could be replaced if it couldn’t be straightened. That would be my expectation. What does the seller of the Takeda say about the curve?

Back