Talk me out of wanting a nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

thanks for the lead ( to Butch).. could you point me in the direction of where I can glean pics and dimensions of your lovely toy?

Somehow you have figured this out earlier and this size has to be custom made as it does seem that there is not much demand for this size. I am sure that you have a lot of fun with it .

Waiting for a reply from a Japanese maker for stainless steel( swedish steel) with Western handle ( eco wood). If it is a go, it shld be within a month from the word go.. we shall see...

again. thanks..
rgds
d

You are pretty much describing the nakiri design of Butch Harner. He made one for me that is a bit higher at the heel for better knuckle clearance and these days I reach for it more often than for my Carter nakiri. F you want to go custom anyway, definitely keep Butch in mind.

Stefan

Here is a pic of it, the perspective is a little warped. Mine is in O1 with a forced patina, but Previously I had one made by Butch in CPM154 that I liked, it was just a touch shorter. Too tired for measure right now, but mine is about 185mm which I find perfect, the standard 165mm is too short. And, as you can see, mine is wa handled but that should not be an issue if you custom order.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...lbums/5147794625334475521/5501007432698236898

I don't have a nakiri and never will buy one. Seems like a waste of money to me, I'd have another gyuto over a nakiri every time. I can't see any use I'd find for it in work, any veg I cut I can do much faster and easier with a gyuto

Tks for the lovely pics.. More confident and inspired with the project after your post above.

Who knows?? may not turn out to be THE knife that I have in mind.. but unless I make that journey and put the "dream knife" thru its paces, I will never know.. Other than that.. it only remains a theory based on hopefully correct assumptions....

Again, thanks.
rgds
D
Here is a pic of it, the perspective is a little warped. Mine is in O1 with a forced patina, but Previously I had one made by Butch in CPM154 that I liked, it was just a touch shorter. Too tired for measure right now, but mine is about 185mm which I find perfect, the standard 165mm is too short. And, as you can see, mine is wa handled but that should not be an issue if you custom order.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...lbums/5147794625334475521/5501007432698236898

All the cleaver people do you recommend getting a japanese carbon cleaver or whatever the local asian mart has?

For your first one, I would grab a cheap carbon cleaver at your asian market. Shouldn't cost you more than $20 or so and it'll give you a good idea whether you like the style or not. It won't hold an edge very long, but it will sharpen back up in a couple passes on a stone.

Back