tanaka blue #2 love

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as promised, tanaka rehandle family pics:

ginsanko 270 gyuto (pakkawood ferrule, rosewood handle)
blue #2 210 gyuto (linen micarta ferrule, cherry handle)
blue #2 105 petty (all linen micarta w/ g10 spacer)
tanakafamily_zps1275649d.jpg

tanakafamily2_zps63122f3b.jpg

tanakafamily3_zpsb184be42.jpg

tanakafamily4_zpsa8be852b.jpg

tanakafamilychoil_zps1ac2a44b.jpg

so i took these blue tanakas to the stones today, only down to 1000 then finish on synthetic aoto (very little on this one) strop with cbn (cubic boron nitride) spray, and i dont know if i was doing something wrong but there were long strips of wire coming off the blade with very little pressure applied. this is the sharpest edge i've ever ended up with, kudos to blue carbon steel!

did the vinegar bath on the 210 as well, but only 2 dunks of 5min each this time and the results were much better. then tried to patina with hot chicken. after scrubbing off the gross brown stuff ended up with mild blue/green/yellow colors. the acid patina thing really does offer some protection from reactivity i guess. cleaned and sliced quite a few brussels sprouts with the petty and left it there for 15min with no reactivity what so ever.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it is tanaka and it is blue #2. And I do love it.

I got to see these things at work the other night and they are insanely nice! That little petty with the vinegar etch/patina was cool looking with the black micarta handle.

panda how is the grind of the ginsanko versus the blue 2? Ginsanko still a laser and beautiful slicer? Also has anyone used the VG10 Tanaka? Blade looks identical to blue 2, but with a yo handle (at least on ebay).

ginsanko is thick blade (most certainly not a laser) that is ground down from half way up. it has excellent food release which aids in cutting. blue 2 is convex ground completely from the spine down to the edge, but food still sticks a little bit. blue 2 is extremely thin behind the edge, so much that it often digs into the cutting board!

blue 2 is the better pure cutter and is easy to sharpen, but i prefer the actual usage of the ginsanko as it is most certainly a 'beautiful slicer' and much prefer its low pointy nose profile.

have ZERO interest in any vg10 so can't help you there.

After reading this thread and watching Theory's video I was seconds away from clicking the buy it now button on the bay for a Tanaka Blue #2 Gyuto, then I realized I would be on vacation when it would be delivered so I backed away. Should I really get one?

whos knife is that one posted? that thing is sick.

Back