Tell Me About Pens

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFKitchenknivesguy,

Before you drop big coin on a rollerball try some out, first, to see how each feels in hand. Refills are usually interchangeable between brands, and I don't know if MB's are any better than another. Unlike fountain pens, where nibs are a huge deal, with rollerballs, you're paying for the shell.

I got lost in work the last two days, but I really appreciate all the replies. So from what I'm reading, the refill is the most important part...so paying for a beautiful handmade (by a random person on Etsy) is no big deal as long as I'm happy with the appearance and it takes a good refill? And if I want overpriced prestige, then buy one of the bigger names? Sounds about right. I do like prestige though, always been a weakness. Couldn't justify paying 4 digits for a pen though, but lower 3 digits, maybe. Any artists you recommend, please link!

Check out Rudy Vey. He does custom jobs and will put together something as economical or as elaborate as you like. I can tell you first hand that his craftsmanship is second to none. Google ultimate pen designs.

Quantum, anyone who still write letters pen and ink has me on their side! Who makes Noodlers Brown? I'd love a good brown ink. I've been using a really intense deep deep black - Pelikan Tinte 4001 Gunther Wagner. I've had a Lamy but the body cracked and leaked ink! Beautiful pen though, and I liked the nib very much. I've also used Parkers, Schaefers (sp?) and a Pilot from way back in the 50s.

Apart from the body/shell the important things in a pen for me is primarily the nib and then the filling system. For me, nothing beats a Pelikan nib.

Noodlers #41 brown is my fav although i have tried many of their others and have a different brown right now as well. The #41 reminds me of the 16th and 17th centuries or medieval periods. I also prefer to write on faded white/ ivory paper/ antique white paper. Fred meyers has resume paper which I buy because its not too expensive and works great with my pens. One of my Lamys body broke as well and im pissed because its a $150 pen. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

I use Noodlers also, their Manhattan Blue. It's a dark rich blue that really contrasts nicely on white paper. Black is a tough ink to use because it's usually a bit thicker than others and so will tend to clog more easily. Write on!:thumbsup:

I just checked Noodlers online and was surprised how many colours they have in their ink range. Not seen it here in Oz though. I had 2 Lamys that cracked. A fountain pen which developed a hairline crack and leaked ink all over my fingers, and a ballpoint which cracked at the point connecting the clip. OK, I don't care how good they look I decided that Lamys are lame. Their cheaper line with the wire clip and bright plastic body looks kinda nice though.

Yeah, black ink can get thick and clog but I don't seem to have a problem with the Pelikan 4001 Gunther Wagner black. I like it because it's soooo very intensely black.

Anyone use an oblique nib? I really recommend it. Anyone who knows and appreciates assymetry in knife grinds would appreciate oblique nibs I reckon!

I picked up a Monty black wt gold accents on E-Bay for 90.00,you have to check out the pics.I lucked out excellent shape.Wt. 20X LED Loop can see small surface scatches,other than that looks new.Had to order my own ink cart.I have bid on a few other roller pens on E-Bay.

At work I liked the space pen pressure roller in a Parker body.You can make storeroom order in walk in refrig. & freezer pen still works perfect where others will cease to write.

Back