TF or Toyama: The Review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To get some background on this, read this thread.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/tf-or-watanabe.38102/
Some TL;DR, I was comparing between both knives few years ago. Now I've ended up with the highest end of both.

Bear in mind, these two are not your off the shelf TF Denka or Toyama honyaki either. The TF Denka I bought in 2019 while in Japan directly from TF, the last produced Western TF Denka I know of to date and customised to my preferences as it was only a knife blank when I saw it. The Toyama honyaki was purchased 2019 from sharpening god Lee, who thinned it to make it even more amazing. So these are knives at the peak of their maker's craft.

So here the are, both knives in action on some mirepoix. With a cameo from a cheapass beater. I'll let you guys come to a conclusion to which one you like better. For me, I like them both, but I definitely reach for my TF more often as it is so much more fun to use.

It's like, from looking at cutting performance, I'd grab the "cheapass beater".

It's like, from looking at cutting performance, I'd grab the "cheapass beater".
Yes, I would recommend the cheapass beater any day. To be honest, if I had that as my only knife, I would be totally happy. But I do get absolutely annoyed by the food sticking, that would be my only complaint with it.

I will this weekend and share the findings.

But so you mean 270 SS, 270 Damascus, or 270 Honyaki?

I'm most interested in the comparison to the 270 SS, but really all those comparisons are interesting. I've got a couple of heavy 270's, which I pick up when there is a big pile of work to do. Not sure how that Nakiri would fit.

Yes, I would recommend the cheapass beater any day. To be honest, if I had that as my only knife, I would be totally happy. But I do get absolutely annoyed by the food sticking, that would be my only complaint with it.

What is it?

In your vid carrot planks stickeage was worse with it, but for the celery overall or carrot mince it didn’t seem worse off than the Toy or TF. We sadly didn’t see it at work with onions. 😊

What is it?

In your vid carrot planks stickeage was worse with it, but for the celery overall or carrot mince it didn’t seem worse off than the Toy or TF. We sadly didn’t see it at work with onions. 😊
Its a Kikuichi Elite Carbon gyuto and my first Japanese knife. Just saw the prices now, and they're not priced as "cheapass beater" right now. I did pick mine up while I was in Japan at a fraction of the price.

Still would wholeheartedly recommend it.

Yeah these are kindly more expensive than they ought to nowadays. Browsed some once upon a time.

Thank you very much sir!

To get some background on this, read this thread.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/tf-or-watanabe.38102/
Some TL;DR, I was comparing between both knives few years ago. Now I've ended up with the highest end of both.

Bear in mind, these two are not your off the shelf TF Denka or Toyama honyaki either. The TF Denka I bought in 2019 while in Japan directly from TF, the last produced Western TF Denka I know of to date and customised to my preferences as it was only a knife blank when I saw it. The Toyama honyaki was purchased 2019 from sharpening god Lee, who thinned it to make it even more amazing. So these are knives at the peak of their maker's craft.

So here the are, both knives in action on some mirepoix. With a cameo from a cheapass beater. I'll let you guys come to a conclusion to which one you like better. For me, I like them both, but I definitely reach for my TF more often as it is so much more fun to use.

could you add a little detail about sharpening god Lee?

Toyama for the win 🥇 😂
Dont have that problem whit chipping on my toyama/watanabe and the steel is just Amezing imho
0A6EB7DC-B115-46C9-8454-2665EEE54A48.jpeg
42EB39A0-8832-4045-A7E8-49D796E837D9.jpeg

Funny how it just struck me that these knives look more authoritarian with something like a cheap Ho handle on. That's just me...

I do admit the KU one and the Nakiri as well are aptly fitted and more prominently "forward" than any, amongst all these indredibly nice handles.

Seeing a lot of love and some quite steady use into them though. That's saying something real positive of the blades themselves.

Thanks for posting that picture it's amazing.

Funny how it just struck me that these knives look more authoritarian with something like a cheap Ho handle on. That's just me...

I do admit the KU one and the Nakiri as well are aptly fitted and more prominently "forward" than any, amongst all these indredibly nice handles.

Seeing a lot of love and some quite steady use into them though. That's saying something real positive of the blades themselves.

Thanks for posting that picture it's amazing.
I changed the handle to get a better balancepoint on the knifes whit Ho wood They are so forward heavy specialy 270 gyutos.. so the handles helpt to get them to feel better.. but its Also imo the best knifes from Japan consider the proformance grind and heat treat is imo super good on the blue2 from him.
So this family grown faster then other makers 🔥

@Sebastian Chrstiansson Are those both Toyama 240? Could you name the model and if T 240, what dimensions does that replacement handle on the left blade have? I have on in order an am thinking for the future, how to replace the stock handle.

1674822237517.png

@Sebastian Chrstiansson Are those both Toyama 240? Could you name the model and if T 240, what dimensions does that replacement handle on the left blade have? I have on in order an am thinking for the future, how to replace the stock handle.

View attachment 221951
Sorry to hijack but they are both Watanabe. Should be almost identical to Toyama though (they have some kind of unclear but very close commercial relation). Kurouchi and Migaki versions are different in grind though.

It’s great to see this thread alive again - I mean who can tire of Denka vs Toyama - I just got a 210 mm dammy Toyama nakiri - thanks to partner in crime @nakiriknaifuwaifu, straight from Japan and about 30% cheaper

Love using that knife!

Denka does feel different though, unique feel when you cut with it. I have Wa handles, so my Toyama has a lot more heft when compared to a Wa Denka - Yo Denka of course will be a different matter

It’s great to see this thread alive again - I mean who can tire of Denka vs Toyama - I just got a 210 mm dammy Toyama nakiri - thanks to partner in crime @nakiriknaifuwaifu, straight from Japan and about 30% cheaper

What's the source? Please, please, please!

Back