The collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Kamon Massdrop 225 coming in at some point. Then there is the Modern Cooking/Fredrik Spare 230 Honyaki from batch 2 that will be made and shipped sometime I think in January.

Aside from those, there is all sorts of things I find interesting (e.g Shi-han 52100, HSC Z-Wear) that I'd like to go for, but at the moment, there is some household stuff taking priority. Maybe later in 2022 I'll have some budget again to explore the knives that don't seem to be the top interest. For me, it is more a journey to explore the different smith and steels they work with.

Reflecting the last two sales.

ZKramer Carbon 8" - never felt right in the hand
ZKramer Carbon 10" - because someone asked nicely
Kono GS 240 - too lasery at the length for what I wanted
Kotetsu 180 Bunka - too thin at the edge for general use in my kitchen
Takeda Large NAS Nakiri - too much belly
Kaeru Stainless 210 Gyuto - just needed to make room for other stuff
Miyabi Birchwood 8" Chefs - balance point too far back
Miyabi Black 7" Santoku - wedged really bad, didn't want to try thinning
Zwilling Diplome 8" - balance point too far back
ZKramer Essential 10" - as I regretted selling the ZKramer 10" Carbon (and can't buy one in Canada anymore), tried to relive the experience with this and it just wasn't the same.
Mazaki 170 Nakiri - really nice knife, just the one that finally told me that I'm not really a nakiri guy
TF 150 Nashiji petty - nice knife, but role got replaced by the Victorinox boning knife
Misono 190 Swedish Carbon Lefty - balance point too far back
CCK 1103 - figured I'd focus my technique on gyutos at the time
Kono HD2 240 - after liking the 210 wanted to try - didn't like the balance.
Devin Thomas AEB-L 220 - Beautiful knife, but too much money in one blade for my day to day use.
Dalman Warikomi 230 - Longer than I wanted, and budget said it had to go.
Konosuke Fujiyama FM 210 White 2 - Traded. Just like other Konosuke's more.
Konosuke HD2 210 - Traded. Other Konos just exceeded it
Konosuke YS-M 210 - Just pulled the MM off the rack more, and for mental health was cleaning up the collection
Shigefusa Kuro 165 Santoku - was thick and didn't want to try and thin it
Hitohira Kikuchiyo x Ren 180 Santoku - handle too big for my liking
Moritaka 240 B#2 Gyuto - bought for a 240, and replace by a Kono MM
Kagekiyo 240 W#2 K-Tip Gyuto - traded for it, nice enough but just didn't gel with me.
S Tanaka R2 210 Gyuto - obtained in a trade, didn't like the balance of it right out of the box.
Toyama 180 Nakiri - really well put together knife. It lost out to a 230, but it was a close comparison.
Dalman 210 Honyaki - Just a few small things kept this from being a keeper.
Kono 210 Tetsujin - Too much like the MM out of the box, didn't even try a cut.
Muteki 143 Petty - really nicely made knife, just didn't jive with the balance point
Takamura 210 Chromax gyuto - too thin of spine.
Kono Madei Sumiiro Bunka - surprisingly the profile didn't agree with me
Hitohira Togashi Migaki White 1 240 Gyuto - was going to be a bit of a project knife (needed thinning and a new handle) and got bumped by a new knife the next day.
Sabatier Nogent 8" - just decided I wasn't going to use it.
Markin 210 Rex121 Gyuto - stunning knife, just needed make budget room.
Kono HD2 180 petty - nice little knife, just not my kind of thing
Kono MM 270 Gyuto B#2 - Great like every MM, just too long for my kitchen.

Been delinquent in my updates to the sale list

ZKramer Essential 10" - as I regretted selling the ZKramer 10" Carbon (and can't buy one in Canada anymore), tried to relive the experience with this and it just wasn't the same.
Mazaki 170 Nakiri - really nice knife, just the one that finally told me that I'm not really a nakiri guy
TF 150 Nashiji petty - nice knife, but role got replaced by the Victorinox boning knife
Devin Thomas AEB-L 220 - Beautiful knife, but too much money in one blade for my day to day use.
Konosuke YS-M 210 - Just pulled the MM off the rack more, and for mental health was cleaning up the collection
Moritaka 240 B#2 Gyuto - bought for a 240, and replace by a Kono MM
Kagekiyo 240 W#2 K-Tip Gyuto - traded for it, nice enough but just didn't gel with me.
S Tanaka R2 210 Gyuto - obtained in a trade, didn't like the balance of it right out of the box.
Toyama 180 Nakiri - really well put together knife. It lost out to a 230, but it was a close comparison.
Muteki 143 Petty - really nicely made knife, just didn't jive with the balance point
Kono Madei Sumiiro Bunka - surprisingly the profile didn't agree with me
Hitohira Togashi Migaki White 1 240 Gyuto - was going to be a bit of a project knife (needed thinning and a new handle) and got bumped by a new knife the next day.
Konosuke HD2 180 petty - wicked little knife that just wasn’t for me. Not a petty guy
Konosuke MM B#2 270 - everything great about a MM, just too long for my kitchen.
Raquin 200 - impulse buy. Sold as I needed the budget more.
Shigefusa 240 Kasumi gyuto - nice knife, but not quite what I wanted
MCX Spåre 230 26c3 differentially hardened gyuto - sweet knife at a wonderfully price. Too forward balanced. Ordered something else from Fredrik

I have sold what many would keep as a collection.

The rack currently
Kono MM Blue 2 210 gyuto
Kono MM Blue 2 240 gyuto
Kono FM White 1 195 Nakiri
Raquin 225 gyuto
Kamon Massdrop 225 gyuto
ZKramer Carbon 10" chefs
Kaeru SLD 270 suji

I have a custom on order to replace one knife there.

I have sold what many would keep as a collection.

The rack currently
Kono MM Blue 2 210 gyuto
Kono MM Blue 2 240 gyuto
Kono FM White 1 195 Nakiri
Raquin 225 gyuto
Kamon Massdrop 225 gyuto
ZKramer Carbon 10" chefs
Kaeru SLD 270 suji

I have a custom on order to replace one knife there.
Uhh, which one with what? 😁

Hmmm.... Until the knife reaches me and I see if it can beat the knife it is meant to replace, I'm keeping that info close to my chest.
Surely one of the knives must have surpassed the ZKramer? Any special reason you choose to keep that one?

Surely one of the knives must have surpassed the ZKramer? Any special reason you choose to keep that one?

I've actually answered that question before in this thread. It's a knife that I'll never sell.

If you look at my sale list, I've actually sold a 10" Carbon and bought it again. I have a bit of a irrational love for the ZKramer. It has never left my rack since I bought it again.

It has a wicked nice distal taper, and the 52100 feels bomb-proof. Biggest knocks against it? Flat grind and a bit too thick behind the edge. I've heard that thinning makes them wicked nice.

But why I like it? It's beast mode. That slightly too thick edge, bomb-proof 52100 and 300g makes it the go-to knife for stuff I wouldn't do with anything else. Spatch-**** a chicken - done. Slicing thick pork cracklings - done. Cutting super crusty pizza - done. Chopping nuts or chocolate - done.

I use it rarely, but I love it for what it does. The Raquin could probably fit into the same mode, but for half the price the ZKramer is the beast/beater.

Gotta be that Kaeru suji then. It's the only one that's not a true carbon, plus I mean come on, look at the rest of that list.

I've actually answered that question before in this thread. It's a knife that I'll never sell.
Ah thanks, I had read that comment a while back and forgot it was in this thread. I've been pretty much using my ZKramer the same way for any cutting job that I think might be too much for other edges. I do have Farberware knives for even more risky cuts though.

A few more went away...

Moritaka 240 B#2 Gyuto - bought for a 240, and replaced by a Kono MM
Kono Madei Sumiiro 170 Bunka - surprisingly the profile didn't agree with me
Konosuke HD2 180 petty - wicked little knife that just wasn’t for me. Not a petty guy
Konosuke MM B#2 270 - everything great about a MM, just too long for my kitchen.
MCX Spåre 230 26c3 differentially hardened gyuto - sweet knife at a wonderfully price. Too forward balanced. Ordered something else from Fredrik
Myojin SG2 240 - Was hoping for a stainless MM and this wasn't quite it.
Takada Blue 1 Suiboku 180 Nakiri - Great litte nakiri, just lighter than I liked in a square blade.

A few more went away...

What did you find lacking about the Myojin compared to the MM? I'm enjoying my MM a lot right now and something like it in stainless would be just about perfect as a single gyuto for travel etc.

What did you find lacking about the Myojin compared to the MM? I'm enjoying my MM a lot right now and something like it in stainless would be just about perfect as a single gyuto for travel etc.

The particular SG2 knife that I had was not as thin as my MMs are. All the basics were there (convex at the heel, with a flatter grind at the tip), but it was just thicker than both my MMs. I can't do a decent job of thinning and I wasn't ready to send it out, so I sold it. I've heard that some people's knives that they got were nail flexing, so it does appear that there is variance in the knife you get so you could get a "good" one or one like the one I had.

And another went:

Devin Thomas AEB-L 220 - Beautiful knife, but too much money in one blade for my day to day use. Was afraid to damage the ultra thin tip
Dalman Warikomi 230 - Longer/tall than I wanted, and budget said it had to go.
Takada Blue 1 Suiboku 180 Nakiri - Great litte nakiri, just lighter than I liked in a square blade.
Kamon 225 Massdrop - Excellent built knife. Just something about the balance in hand felt a bit off for me, so sold to have budget for other knives

Two more bite the dust:

Devin Thomas AEB-L 220 - Beautiful knife, but too much money in one blade for my day to day use. Was afraid to damage the ultra thin tip
Kamon 225 Massdrop - Excellent built knife. Just something about the balance in hand felt a bit off for me, so sold to have budget for other knives
ZKramer Damascus Nakiri - Homebutcher sale made me try it. Nice enough, but not enough to keep
JNS Kaeru 270 Stainless Suji - just felt too light in my hands, was never really happy with it.

Another one bites the dust:

ZKramer Damascus Nakiri - Homebutcher sale made me try it. Nice enough, but not enough to keep
JNS Kaeru 270 Stainless Suji - just felt too light in my hands, was never really happy with it.
Takada 210 Gyuto Ginsan Suiboku - stunning knife, just got "one in, one out" hit by a ShiHan.

Always like to see your updated lists and little thoughts about it

Another one bites the dust and adding on that happened last year.

Takada 210 Gyuto Ginsan Suiboku - stunning knife, just got "one in, one out" hit by a ShiHan.
TF Denka 165 nakiri: returned to retailer as there was a bend in the blade
Jiro 225 gyuto - returned to vendor before it even shipped. Hadn't realized the weight and knew it's wasn't going to be my thing.

Another one bites the dust...

Jiro 225 gyuto - returned to vendor before it even shipped. Hadn't realized the weight and knew it's wasn't going to be my thing.
Ittetsu Tall Nakiri - baby cleaver in weight but nakiri handle, wanted to use a cleaver grip, but couldnt due to the neck on the handle

Haven't done this for a while:
20221104_163819.jpg

What's the middle gyuto? Whatever it is, this is a real nice set!

Top to Bottom
ZKramer 52100 10"
MSicard 52100 185 Nakiri
Kono MM B#2 210
Kono MM B#2 240
Hitohiro Tanaka/Yohei B#1 Damascus 240
Kono FM W#1 195 Nakiri
Shihan 200 A2
MCX Spare 230 ApexUltra
Raquin 225

Top to Bottom
ZKramer 52100 10"
MSicard 52100 185 Nakiri
Kono MM B#2 210
Kono MM B#2 240
Hitohiro Tanaka/Yohei B#1 Damascus 240
Kono FM W#1 195 Nakiri
Shihan 200 A2
MCX Spare 230 ApexUltra
Raquin 225

How would you compare MCX's profile with others like Kono or Hitohiro? I don't know if grinds are close though but curious how they perform on cutting board.

How would you compare MCX's profile with others like Kono or Hitohiro? I don't know if grinds are close though but curious how they perform on cutting board.
Due to the way I cut (a mix of just about everything depending on what I'm cutting), I find I'm pretty tolerant of profile. So long as there's a reasonable flat spot with a curve to the tip so I can rock chop I'm good.

As a result the Spare works nicely for me. Only thing I'd wish is a bit less pointy as I know I'm going to tip it.

Time for an update to the sold list:

Ittetsu Tall Nakiri - baby cleaver in weight but nakiri handle, wanted to use a cleaver grip, but couldnt due to the neck on the handle
Kono W#1 195 Nakiri - beautiful knife, but I'm a lefty and this was righty ground
MSicard 52100 180 Lefty Nakiri - modelled on the Kono nakiri, nice knife but I flip between between being a nakiri guy and not, and I'm not one at the moment
Spåre 230 Coreless Damascus gyuto - stunning gorgeous knife, just the wrong dimension for me (was oversize and I prefer under)

it’s fun reading these quick user notes… keep it up!

Thanks. It's going to slow down this year if I stick to my guns. I was not supposed to buy anything in 2023, but the Spare Damascus (which was ordered last year) came up, and I've got one more inbound (as when fate tempts you 3 times with the same knife, you jump on it the third time).

Did I miss it -- what replaced the Kaeru slicer?

Interesting that your MM's are so thin. My 240 B2, an early one I think, is a great, great all around performer, but it feels like the grind is lower than on a Fujiyama, making it feel more solid. I'm surprised the R2 you got felt chunky in comparison. You must be right that it's down to knife-to-knife variation.

Back