The definitive KKF knife skills video - your opinion needed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhpr262

Reaction score
(TL;DR: Does the KKF need its own knife skills video, made by our best experts, to counteract the sh!tty stuff noobs have to deal with on youtube?)

No matter what steel, size and shape, at the end of the day a knife is only as good as the person who wields it. As they realize that, lots of noobs come here to ask questions, and we do have lots of experts who can answer them, but it is usually the same questions which get asked again and again, much of it having to do with the proper handling of a knife.

We have lots of knowledge here on the forum, but it is time consuming and impractical to find and you can never be sure you have found it all - our community has grown pretty big. Being taught by a real teacher will usually be better, quicker and more thorough than autodidactic learning.

For example, I have just looked at our questionnaire, and not all of it is very clear, especially the various grips and cutting techniques - no fault of the author, it is just the kind of stuff where a picture or, far better, a video, is worth more than a thousand words.

So, what I am proposing is: The Kitchen Knife Forum, The Sharpest Place of Earth, needs its very own ultimative knife skills video, put together by our best experts! It befits us to actively promote knowledge of proper handling and care of our precious babies! Too much bad, outdated or simply wrong stuff on youtube and the likes!

What should be in it? Open to discussion of course, my suggestions:

The different grips: point grip for precise cut in soft stuff, hammer grip, pinch grip, pressing thumb on spine for hard stuff, all clearly demonstrated on video, an explanation of when to use what grip, their advantages and disadvantages, what not to do (like not pinching the blade between fingers of your left hand when walking across the board, but pressing on the spine instead).

The cutting motions: The classic rock chop and its mechanics, the push cut, mincing/walking the blade across the board, peeling stuff, chopping stuff, which to use for what produce, differences in technique between German, French and Japanese knifes, gyutos vs. nakiris ...

General cuts: Planches, batonnets, julienne, brunoise ...

Demonstration: All the techniques demonstrated in practice, on the most common (potatoes, cucumbers, squash, celery) and some not so common (avocado, mango, pomegranate) veggies and fruit.

What do you all think? Is it a good idea? What else should be in it? Anybody of the pros here willing to volunteer? Keithsaltydog, Theory ...?
Unfortunately I can't do it myself, I am just an enthusiast who has never seen a pro kitchen from the inside, so it doesn't behoove me to publish such videos.

I like those vids, but I had something more methodical and comprehensive in mind, and more "from the ground up".

If somebody would do one, I would watch it. However I do not think it's a dire thing

Also, I do not think using the words noob and sh!tty belong in a serious proposition. Also I found it quite insulting.

The videos put up by Rick and Salty do give a very good overview.

Anything more comprehensive would take a relatively concerted effort on the part of whoever made the videos, and would need to be compensated in some way.

If a decent amount of people were willing to put up a few dollars each, we could put up a kickstarter or something similar with the proceeds going to Rick (for instance) to make an hour long instructional knife skills video. It would be unreasonable to expect anyone to do this without adequate compensation.

Also, I do not think using the words noob and sh!tty belong in a serious proposition. Also I found it quite insulting.
well, we already have a "youtube knuckleheads" thread in the Media Center :D

Anything more comprehensive would take a relatively concerted effort on the part of whoever made the videos, and would need to be compensated in some way.
If there was support, and a decent amount of people were willing to put up a few dollars each , we could put up a kickstarter or something similar with the proceeds going to Rick (for instance) to make an hour long instructional knife skills video. It would be unreasonable to expect anyone to do this without adequate compensation.

Some people actually enjoy making videos. We'll see if anybody volunteers. A chance to immortalize yourselves people :doublethumbsup:

Some people actually enjoy making videos. We'll see if anybody volunteers. A chance to immortalize yourselves people :doublethumbsup:

It does seem a tad presumptuous to ask someone to do requests and to do them for free.

To set up a camera to record you doing what you do, or making a short video on a particular topic of your choosing is one thing; but to devote the time to actually put together a comprehensive instructional video is something else entirely.

As far as I'm concerned, it would be generous for someone to put together such a video for any less than $1k; with crowdfunding that's only $5 each split between 200. I'd be willing to throw in a few dollars and so too should anyone else who thinks they would benefit. Ultimately the only person involved who wouldn't benefit would be the creator, so why should he foot the bill, give up his time voluntarily and put in the work so that others don't have to put their hands in their pockets.

At $5 each it's only like buying the guy a beer, surely you'd appreciate it enough to at least do that as thanks?

i love watching videos, but your knife skills wont improve from that...

Wasn't Jon planning to do something like that?

Stefan

As far as I'm concerned, it would be generous for someone to put together such a video for any less than $1k;

1000 dollars?? I have no idea what you have in mind, it needn't be any fancier than the dozens and dozens of videos our better known members have already put on youtube. Just longer to have everything "bundled" so to speak, with a few spoken explanations. No reason why that would cost a single dollar cash.

Maybe the various sections can even be split up so various members do one or two of the points I have mentioned, then the video is spliced together. I could do that if needs be.

I see two problems with this approach.

1. There is no definitive knife skills - it is more of a spectrum of different cuts and grips that suit the person.

2. Putting video out there that has some claims about quality is very labor intensive.

So if you go that way you should have much more detailed plan and some vague idea for compensation if such is required.

I would like to see a video about basics though. Because the difference between push cut and chop, guillotine and board walking can be hard to make. And a lot of videos on youtube are crap and a novice doesn't have the experience to distinguish between knucklehead and the real deal.

You have no idea how many times this request has landed in my youtube inbox. I always planned on doing it but time never allowed for it. I have an outline, sort of a script if you will. Just need to hammer it out one day. This will happen and it will be a huge weight lifted off my shoulders once complete.

Yeah, $1k seems low to me.

I'm not sure you fully understand what you're asking. What you're wanting would not be possible to do well off the cuff. It would need proper scripting to ensure clarity, care taken with regards to camera angles, editing and thorough descriptions of what he is doing and why.

Just consider; do you think that the Zwilling instructional knife videos were produced with a budget anywhere near as small as $1k? Lets not forget that you're asking for something better than those videos offer...

Rick offering to do this free of charge is very, very generous. I don't think that he should feel obliged to put in the work for our benefit, especially if it's something he's not psyched to do. If or when you get round to doing this Rick, send me a PM with your Pay-pal address and I'll gladly kick a few dollars your way.

Rick offering to do this free of charge is very, very generous. I don't think that he should feel obliged to put in the work for our benefit, especially if it's something he's not psyched to do. If or when you get round to doing this Rick, send me a PM with your Pay-pal address and I'll gladly kick a few dollars your way.

+1

I am a knife maker who doesn't know how to use a kitchen knife. I'll pay $50 for the video. That's what I pay for a video on hollow grinding or flat grinding.

Tim

I know it is not the same, not a KKF video, but I have found this free Complete Knife Skills mini-course really informative and well done:

It doesn't have as much deep knowledge on some topics, but in my opinion the teacher does a great job at teaching a lot of basics, safety and common sense.

I'm not affiliated with the on-line platform or the teacher, but the video helped me, like Rick Theory videos also greatly helped :)

I will gladly pay for this kind of videos!

Lets not forget that you're asking for something better than those videos offer...

When did I do this? I have said plainly that I don't care about professional lighting, audio, editing and so on.

You have no idea how many times this request has landed in my youtube inbox. I always planned on doing it but time never allowed for it. I have an outline, sort of a script if you will. Just need to hammer it out one day. This will happen and it will be a huge weight lifted off my shoulders once complete.

Thats's great to hear. I am looking forward to it.

When did I do this? I have said plainly that I don't care about professional lighting, audio, editing and so on.

If you're happy with what's already out there then why do you want Rick to make a video?

There's plenty of commercially available videos, which can be viewed on YouTube for free; if you're not satisfied with those you wouldn't be asking for a KKF instructional video unless you're expecting something better.

Better doesn't necessarily mean higher production values, just a better instructional video.

I think that I would like if members pointed me out to a good basics video. One that is slowed down for dumb dumbs like me:).

There are a ton of knife skills videos out there by "the nerd elite". You know, the DBs that bash your videos online for not having clean enough finger nails. Watch those, then watch someone who actually cooks for a living. It aint all proper and nice all the time.

Bottom line, if you want to get good with a knife, don't fear it.

I think that I would like if members pointed me out to a good basics video. One that is slowed down for dumb dumbs like me:).

I know you don't mean slow in a literal sense, but I find slowing down the playback speed of videos helps me learn. You can slow down most youtube videos by clicking on the settings button on the video player.

It would be nice to have the info all collected in one place (one video), almost like a definitive guide, yet at the same time i understand the huge undertaking this would be. If Theory is going to be doing this i would be happy to chip in a fee bucks to help out with the cost. Could something like a Kickstarter be used to drum up a nice collection of funds to bankroll the whole thing?

best way to improve knife skills is to get over the fear of cutting yourself, and the only way to do that is through experience of cutting yourself countless times. no video is going to help that really.

Back