The future knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kotte

Reaction score
Everybody dreams of it, few talk of it and even fewer has tried to make one. But now the knife of the future is here: that lovely desirable stainless core combined with rusty soulful soft cladding. It is the best of both worlds, and ’like totally’ inverted.
I Thank the brilliant Swedish blacksmith, Patrik Carlvik from Smedjaaspen, for forging this knife wonder - effectively taking us all into a new era.

(Aebl core steel, something rusty on the sides, and walnut handle - success guaranteed).

Attachments

• F0D78CF4-D2D7-4D29-B93D-0794C5F6B5E8.jpeg
    F0D78CF4-D2D7-4D29-B93D-0794C5F6B5E8.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 34398332-9FDD-4C23-A6B2-C005A0230620.jpeg
    34398332-9FDD-4C23-A6B2-C005A0230620.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 142
The best of both worlds. Sure. It will require a serious marketing effort. But I'm sure people are prepared to believe it's an excellent idea.

The best of both worlds. Sure. It will require a serious marketing effort. But I'm sure people are prepared to believe it's an excellent idea.
Well, at least I did my best! My marketing skills are somewhat limited, so I have little further to add 😅. Or, with the exception of my newly invented slogan: ’Shiny where it counts!’

So it's got an edge that can stand up to high acid without worry, but still allow for some nice polishing of the bevels.

Sounds better in my head than "stainless knife with all the maintenance of a full carbon!"

It’s not exactly blue. More like deep, deep, dark brown
It's my understanding soft iron hardly takes a patina. The only permanent about it is the continuous fight against rust. There was a ratio behind the san-mai construction, i.e. protecting hard core steel — think Shirogami#1, AS — from shocks, as well as for economic reasons, the core being so expensive. With AEB-L there is hardly a justification for not using it as a monosteel, except for introducing a rustic element, but there we are getting into marketing considerations.

It's my understanding soft iron hardly takes a patina. The only permanent about it is the continuous fight against rust. There was a ratio behind the san-mai construction, i.e. protecting hard core steel — think Shirogami#1, AS — from shocks, as well as for economic reasons, the core being so expensive. With AEB-L there is hardly a justification for not using it as a monosteel, except for introducing a rustic element, but there we are getting into marketing considerations.

It takes a patina, just not as stable one. Will turn to rust sooner than the core for sure - or most cores I guess. Sometimes going there so fast it gets aggravating. There are some higher quality ones - Takada Y. Tanaka held on for months at end before going there. And the immediate patina it took followed the core quite closely enough instead of being all shades of uglier. And I cut onions and garlic and such a LOT with that one, and back then didn't wipe so often but just dutifully washed and dried when done. Edit: mind you the core was W#2 - at once not a favorite of mine to be had in iron clad, but at once not an especially nice patina it tend to take itself, so possibly more in line with natural patina development on iron cladding.

And then there's the level of polish of course - only adding a layer of time to the inevitable. And some types of finishes sort of add another layer of time. However it's often you get one, not the other, or none at all. :p

I get what you are saying. It sure doesn't "keep" a patina like nice carbon steels.

Back