The most bulletproof stainless steels

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one area where outdoor/camping/sporting knives really overlap with kitchen knives is in butchery. Breaking down protein in warm, humid environments presents its own set of challenges. Sometimes even just being in those environments presents challenges. I've had stainless get rust spotting after a few days backpacking, for example. And even at home, I've awoken to discover that a brand new stainless Ginga had gotten pitted overnight because I didn't wipe it down after using it to chop kimchi the previous evening. A rude awakening indeed. People talk a lot of **** about Globals, but I can dump on Cromova 18 all day long and it'll wipe off fine without complaint. It's garbage to sharpen compared to the Ginga, of course. Which got me wondering if any of those super duper powdered metallurgy alloys gets away with being extremly non-reactive while still taking a good edge.

Without a doubt, Trizor (Chef Choice) is a bad ass, hard, tough stainess. It will take and hold an edge, even when used to cut through chicken bones, crab legs, basically the tough, ugly knife tasks.

The edge out of the box needs some thinning, but the steel just takes abuse. I'll add, NOT an easy stainless to sharpen and the handle is to small, its hard to use for extended periods. Not sure exactly what steel they use though.

Without a doubt, Trizor (Chef Choice) is a bad ass, hard, tough stainess. It will take and hold an edge, even when used to cut through chicken bones, crab legs, basically the tough, ugly knife tasks.

The edge out of the box needs some thinning, but the steel just takes abuse. I'll add, NOT an easy stainless to sharpen and the handle is to small, its hard to use for extended periods. Not sure exactly what steel they use though.

Originally Trizor was CM-154 (US spec ats-34), based on an interview with the designer;
but they may have changed it later at some stage.

Last edited:
Are you cutting fish on a 36' fishing boat, working on a 300' processor, being a private chef on a yacht or being a chief cook for a 1000' container ship? That seems like the most pertinent question.

Might be total nonsense but if ya got 1000s worth of knives in a sea environment why not clean them well and put them in a 300$humidor when not in use you can buy little 50$ controllers to tweak the temp and humidity

SG-2 and SLD are both non-reactive. Maybe not true stainless, but so close as not to matter. And you can put a superb edge on either steel, with good edge retention.

Back