The PERFECT mug cake

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Khorax ingredient and equipment subtleties like that can sometimes end up not being nice to the baker :) Especially with "trick baking" like microwave cakes or no-rise yeast breads :)

You know what I misread what you wrote about the pH affecting the leavening and thought you were joking and trying to mislead him... Turns out you are correct and I'm just an idiot. I hang out around Reddit too much and I'm conditioned to take comments like sarcsric jabs. Had no idea it mattered for real!

Can you convert the recipe to weights?

Thanks, Pesky

I measured and weighed it for you best I could.
3 tbsp flour = 33g
1 tbsp white sugar = 13g
1 tbsp brown sugar = 10g
1/4 tsp baking powder = 1g
2 tsp cocoa powder = 7g

3 tbsp milk = 45ml
1 tbsp veg oil or butter = 15ml

It's the best i can do, results will vary with moisture content of your ingredients...

So I tried out your recommendations... Turns out you guys are geniuses. I subbed the vegetable oil with melted butter (same volume)... it does indeed taste better, the extra step it worth it. Melt it first though, don't mix in a knob of hard butter.

Also, I substituted 1 of the 3 tbsp of milk with Frangelico (almond liqueure). So wet ingredients mixed in was 1tbsp melted butter, 1 tbsp Frangelico, 2 tbsp milk. Result: EPIC. I'd pay for this in a restaurant. Absolutely delicious, gives it an amazing depth that certainly wasn't there before. I'm sure great results could be had with triple sec, cointreau, grand marnier, coffee liqueur, Bailey's, etc. I'm so glad I posted this on here if only for these awesome recommendations. Thanks y'all!!

I measured and weighed it for you best I could.
3 tbsp flour = 33g
1 tbsp white sugar = 13g
1 tbsp brown sugar = 10g
1/4 tsp baking powder = 1g
2 tsp cocoa powder = 7g

3 tbsp milk = 45ml
1 tbsp veg oil or butter = 15ml

It's the best i can do, results will vary with moisture content of your ingredients...

Thanks Khorax! Will make a couple of mugs for my nieces and nephews!

Pesky

someone once told me there are flavors in Chocolate that are only soluable in alchohol..right or wrong, it brings out nuances.

same with tomato products. i just like booze :) hehe.

oh, i told a buddy about this and he laughed.
he told me he does this.

buys a box of chocolate cake mix..then buys a box of angel food cake mix. he mixes them together..and when he wants a cake, he takes 3 tblspoons and mixes in..some water and microwaves the thing..he said it works awesome. he leaves it mixed in an airtight container and portions off as needed.

i have not tried it..i bought way to much cocoa and backing powder. :D

@Khorax pH can not only mess with leavening - some cookie recipes have baking soda added but no acid, and the leavening effect is hardly there - the reason it is added is because it alters surface browning a bit, and because cookies seem to be among the few foods we LIKE to be a bit soapy/alkaline...

Thanks for this idea. Grandsons love it. Making dessert for their parents now. We added a tablespoon of sweetened shredded coconut to get that German Chocolate Cake thing going. Perfect gooey goodness. Don't forget the whipped cream!

@boomchakabowwow I remember once adding hon mirin to a chocolate sauce on a whim, and it turning out surprisingly good....

Latest posts

Back