The Shun Experiment

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. I have had the Shun blue 8” Kiritsuke since mid December, and I have really enjoyed using it. I know that this is an older thread, but if anyone is still interested, here are a few thoughts on the knife and Shuns in general.

As a simple home cook, it is my go-to knife and receives daily use. I have yet to sharpen the knife although it is honed generally twice a week.

The F and F on the knife is stellar. I say that having just bought another Shun (Premier 5.5” Santoku) that does not have the same streamlined edges and finish. (The Santoku was ordered online and will be returned.)

This knife was a gift, and I cannot say with 100% certainty I would give the $229.00 retail price. Right now it is $149.00 on some sites, and I would, without hesitation give that much for it. I have a mess of Shun knives (I will include the list below with price paid), and I am a fan. I have tried several of the higher end Japanese brands thoroughly discussed on this site as my friends own several restaurants and have professional chefs using a variety of knives. Obviously there is a difference in the need for sharpening due to steel, but, in my opinion, it is negligible for a home cook as myself. In addition, the classic chipping critique has never been an issue for me, as I do not abuse my knives. That being said, they are not treated as delicate orbs either. My Shuns tend to be very well balanced, but I have handled many in their various lines that have poor balance.

Back to the knife use, this knife sees everything from a ham to shallots. The tip works goes through onions without an issue and its thin blade works just fine as a slicer. This knife, like all my Shun, is cleaned and thoroughly dried before storage. It is a very comfortable knife to hold and employ for a couple of hours at a time. It has a nice weight and excellent balance with a pinch grip.

Not sure what questions, if any, you might have out there, but I am happy to offer my insights on this knife or any other listed below.

There will be people on this forum who disagree with me, and they are certainly entitled to their opinion. For me, I always buy a knife that I have held and used. This is why I have been drawn to Shun as several retailers keep them in stock and have a 30-day return policy.

Best.

AJW

Shun Blue
Kiritsuke Gift

VG-Max
4” Classic Wide Pairing $40
4” Classic Santoku $50
6” Classic Western Chef $60
4.5” Premier Honesuki $90
5.5” Premier Santoku $100

VG-10
6” Haru Ultimate Utility $40
4” Edo Pairing $30
5.75” Edo Utility $90

Hello all. I have had the Shun blue 8” Kiritsuke since mid December, and I have really enjoyed using it. I know that this is an older thread, but if anyone is still interested, here are a few thoughts on the knife and Shuns in general.

As a simple home cook, it is my go-to knife and receives daily use. I have yet to sharpen the knife although it is honed generally twice a week.

The F and F on the knife is stellar. I say that having just bought another Shun (Premier 5.5” Santoku) that does not have the same streamlined edges and finish. (The Santoku was ordered online and will be returned.)

This knife was a gift, and I cannot say with 100% certainty I would give the $229.00 retail price. Right now it is $149.00 on some sites, and I would, without hesitation give that much for it. I have a mess of Shun knives (I will include the list below with price paid), and I am a fan. I have tried several of the higher end Japanese brands thoroughly discussed on this site as my friends own several restaurants and have professional chefs using a variety of knives. Obviously there is a difference in the need for sharpening due to steel, but, in my opinion, it is negligible for a home cook as myself. In addition, the classic chipping critique has never been an issue for me, as I do not abuse my knives. That being said, they are not treated as delicate orbs either. My Shuns tend to be very well balanced, but I have handled many in their various lines that have poor balance.

Back to the knife use, this knife sees everything from a ham to shallots. The tip works goes through onions without an issue and its thin blade works just fine as a slicer. This knife, like all my Shun, is cleaned and thoroughly dried before storage. It is a very comfortable knife to hold and employ for a couple of hours at a time. It has a nice weight and excellent balance with a pinch grip.

Not sure what questions, if any, you might have out there, but I am happy to offer my insights on this knife or any other listed below.

There will be people on this forum who disagree with me, and they are certainly entitled to their opinion. For me, I always buy a knife that I have held and used. This is why I have been drawn to Shun as several retailers keep them in stock and have a 30-day return policy.

Best.

AJW

Shun Blue
Kiritsuke Gift

VG-Max
4” Classic Wide Pairing $40
4” Classic Santoku $50
6” Classic Western Chef $60
4.5” Premier Honesuki $90
5.5” Premier Santoku $100

VG-10
6” Haru Ultimate Utility $40
4” Edo Pairing $30
5.75” Edo Utility $90

Thanks! Just ordered a 10", will report back.

Back