The Steakager

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on the size, I had dropped my kickstarter pledge. Also, the serious eats article does the same thing with a mini fridge. Adding a small humidifier and a humidification sensor & temp controller gives you a dry ager of any size you wish (with humidity control for things like curing certain meats).

Based on the size, I had dropped my kickstarter pledge. Also, the serious eats article does the same thing with a mini fridge. Adding a small humidifier and a humidification sensor & temp controller gives you a dry ager of any size you wish (with humidity control for things like curing certain meats).

It does to a certain extent, but not truly and you run the risk of spoiling a expensive cut of meat. You have to monitor things very closely when you just use a fridge. You need to be able to control humidity, and that mean you need to be able to pull humidity out by fan and have it expelled out of the fridge. Additionally, you need air movement inside over the piece of meat so you need to add a fan inside the fridge as well. The purpose built boxes are expensive for that very reason. They have the electronics to monitor when the fan needs to turn on and off as well as being able to move air in and out. Many people have complained about how expensive something like the Steak Locker or DryAger is, but they are much more than just refrigerator units. They are purpose built to move air and humidity as well most have a UV light component to add an additional margin of safety. It not just about keeping things cold.

The SteakAger allows novices to essentially set and forget. It's that easy, you put the meat in and just wait, you don't have to monitor anything and the box has holes and moves air in and out with dedicated fans for air circulation as well as humidity control. It also has a UV light as well. It's actually a pretty good deal if you consider it, and it allows you to experience and get a handle on dry aging meats. It's essentially dummy proof.

If you know what to do and willing to monitor on a regular basis, yes a normal fridge can dry age as well.

It does to a certain extent, but not truly and you run the risk of spoiling a expensive cut of meat. You have to monitor things very closely when you just use a fridge. You need to be able to control humidity, and that mean you need to be able to pull humidity out by fan and have it expelled out of the fridge. Additionally, you need air movement inside over the piece of meat so you need to add a fan inside the fridge as well. The purpose built boxes are expensive for that very reason. They have the electronics to monitor when the fan needs to turn on and off as well as being able to move air in and out. Many people have complained about how expensive something like the Steak Locker or DryAger is, but they are much more than just refrigerator units. They are purpose built to move air and humidity as well most have a UV light component to add an additional margin of safety. It not just about keeping things cold.

The SteakAger allows novices to essentially set and forget. It's that easy, you put the meat in and just wait, you don't have to monitor anything and the box has holes and moves air in and out with dedicated fans for air circulation as well as humidity control. It also has a UV light as well. It's actually a pretty good deal if you consider it, and it allows you to experience and get a handle on dry aging meats. It's essentially dummy proof.

If you know what to do and willing to monitor on a regular basis, yes a normal fridge can dry age as well.

Advertising shill.

Interesting. Joined a week after this thread started in January and posted about a Shig issue. But the post above definitely sounds like an ad agency wrote it. ..."set and forget..." "...it's that easy..."

Maybe his day job is writing infomercials?

Novices? Who's a stinking novice? I'm an expert on stuff that hasn't even been thought of yet.

Timing noted

Guys, nice how the board treats anyone who doesn't have a lot of posts. I could care less, I don't work for SteakAger, I do run sales for a financial software company so perhaps it shows. Just sharing my experience, could care less if you buy it or not.

I'd post a pic of it in my fridge, but it needs to be hosted and too much of a pain in the ass. I wish the board would allow attachments.

I'd post a pic of it in my fridge, but it needs to be hosted and too much of a pain in the ass. I wish the board would allow attachments.

+1 re attachments. My issue is its size. A little small. I sometimes use an early 1930's GE Fridge to dry age, just after I defrosting. Humidity seems to stayunder 80%. I've done it with and without the use of a usb fan, I couldn't tell the difference. I've gone through 3 fridges in my home over the last 20 years. The old one just keeps going.

Attachments are one of the benefits of being a Site Supporter.

I can't agree with hosting being a PITA. Five minutes to sign up for Photobucket is too much effort?

Attachments are one of the benefits of being a Site Supporter.

I can't agree with hosting being a PITA. Five minutes to sign up for Photobucket is too much effort?

I use imgur which you don't even to have to sign up for =)

I didn't even think about drop box. I just use it as an online backup for anything I want to save.

2016-02-25%2017.42.53.jpg

F me. Another toy for Santa's list. Luckily I know Santa.

Re pics, If you copy them to a public folder on your dropbox, then click "copy public link" and THEN use the insert link icon above and paste the public url in the box and uncheck the stupid button, your image will be displayed. Looks like you're pasting the public link into the text box which will only display the link.

Reposted for benm3 =)

This looks awesome, how many days was this aged?
What cut is this?

The cut on the cutting board was a sirloin tip. It was 10 days. The smaller cuts don't need a long time. The taste was really incredible. It ate flavor like of a NY strip with the near tenderness of a tenderloin. My wife doesn't eat a lot of steak and she kept cutting off pieces and eating it.

The piece is the box still is a whole Ribeye roast, boneless, it will be 30 day on March 18th. I plan to age it 30-45 days. May not be able to wait until 45. I did cook a piece last weekend which was 20 days or so. The tenderness is very pronounced, and soft.

Here is a steak of the sirloin tip that I vacuumed sealed and gave to my boss.

2016-02-25%2018.42.51.jpg

2016-02-25%2018.40.03.jpg

My Meat Company is currently starting its dry age program so I have been hearing a lot of stuff I didn't know. One Thing I thought was very interesting is that dry aging rooms actually age as well. The longer the room is used the more beneficial bacteria is present which can improve the flavor of the beef. My rep said only smaller companies are buying the dry aged beef and that the older steak houses said "we will check your product in a couple years".

My Meat Company is currently starting its dry age program so I have been hearing a lot of stuff I didn't know. One Thing I thought was very interesting is that dry aging rooms actually age as well. The longer the room is used the more beneficial bacteria is present which can improve the flavor of the beef. My rep said only smaller companies are buying the dry aged beef and that the older steak houses said "we will check your product in a couple years".

I'm familiar with the bacteria concept from dry curing meats. When we built our curing box, we bleached all the internal surfaces, and after a couple days I sprayed the walls with freeze dried started culture that I'd allowed to properly bloom the day before. Really helped with beneficial mold formation on the products that we introduced to the room.

Interesting thread, now I need to go check my second refrigerator to see what temperature I can hold it down to.

I'm familiar with the bacteria concept from dry curing meats. When we built our curing box, we bleached all the internal surfaces, and after a couple days I sprayed the walls with freeze dried started culture that I'd allowed to properly bloom the day before. Really helped with beneficial mold formation on the products that we introduced to the room.

Did you buy the culture or do it yourself?

I have to say, not eating meat (I am a piscivore) is certainly less complicated and there are fewer toys to spend $ on. (Well there is that knife thing...)

Back