Thermapen, worth it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had mine for close to ten years. I've only changed the battery once and had to call customer service once for a screen issue that was quickly resolved without return.

I use it for everything, but it's indispensable for frying because it goes above 400, provides instant read and registers temperature increases immediately.

They have frequent open box, holiday, first of the month, end of the year....you name it sales. I have several Thermapen's, and love them, but the biggest downside is the almost constant barrage of e-mail spam once you sign up.

They have frequent open box, holiday, first of the month, end of the year....you name it sales. I have several Thermapen's, and love them, but the biggest downside is the almost constant barrage of e-mail spam once you sign up.

I haven't experienced this?

Just did an inbox search. 14 e-mails from ThermoWorks since March 1st. I'm not pointing this out to denigrate the product...but rather to point out that at most times you can buy the product for less than retail. Having said that, a few less e-mails would be nice.

They're awesome. However mine has developed a slight issue. Has anyone's ever had a problem that the needle bit rotates too much and can point upwards? Mine does this now which is annoying as it turns it off as soon as it turns past where it should

They're awesome. However mine has developed a slight issue. Has anyone's ever had a problem that the needle bit rotates too much and can point upwards? Mine does this now which is annoying as it turns it off as soon as it turns past where it should

I have, keep meaning to send that one back. We have 4 of those models floating around, plus a couple other versions of their gear at the restaurant. I'm sure if you sent them an email with your concerns, they'd take care of the problem.

Yes, they are worth it. Plus, they are really good with customer service. My wife accidentally extended the probe in the opposite direction when trying to close it and created that situation where the probe rotated too high, and it eventually it broke off completely. It was no longer under warranty.

But for $25 they will completely rehab it it for you, and within a couple of weeks I had a just-like-new thermapen. Another time mine dropped and the housing cracked and it was under warranty, and they fixed it for free even though it was my fault.

They take care of their customers.

karring

Thanks for the info guys!
Definitely gonna get one, just gotta decide now on backlit or not...

Have any of you had to recalibrate with any frequency? I actually haven't tested mine in the time I've had mine (which is easy enough to do). Will try that asap.

Have any of you had to recalibrate with any frequency? I actually haven't tested mine in the time I've had mine (which is easy enough to do). Will try that asap.

I pop mine into a boiling pot of water from time to time to see if it is still accurate. I also put it into the immersion circulator for fun as well.

I pop mine into a boiling pot of water from time to time to see if it is still accurate. I also put it into the immersion circulator for fun as well.

And has it ever been miscalibrated yet? how long have you had it?

I love this tool, I use it more than I thought I would. I would recommend a therma pen to anyone.

Back