Thinking about a workhorse gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hardness isn't really a concern, assuming you're talking about rockwell? I've been using Sabs as my chefs knives as they're the only chefs knives I really have around. My go to knives at the moment are a Sugimoto #7 and a Fujiwara Teruyasu cleaver which I think are both around the 63 mark.

Out of interest, does anyone know what the Katos are hardened to? Broken tips and chips don't seem to be that uncommon with them.

With the understanding that Rockwell hardness most certainly doesn't factor into Kato's process and the fact that I am by no means anything approaching an expert, after discussing this with forum members more knowledgable than myself and based on my experience with the knife I would conservatively GUESS that it is 65-66ish.

I hope throwing a number out there doesn't start an avalanche. I think the Kato workhorse is one of the most difficult knives to describe by comparing to the other popular knives on the forum. It really needs to be experienced to be believed and properly put in perspective.

On the chippiness front - I think there could be a tendency to interperate invincibility based on the heft and thickness at the spine while in reality it is still very thin and very hard at the edge.

With the understanding that Rockwell hardness most certainly doesn't factor into Kato's process and the fact that I am by no means anything approaching an expert, after discussing this with forum members more knowledgable than myself and based on my experience with the knife I would conservatively GUESS that it is 65-66ish.

I hope throwing a number out there doesn't start an avalanche. I think the Kato workhorse is one of the most difficult knives to describe by comparing to the other popular knives on the forum. It really needs to be experienced to be believed and properly put in perspective.

On the chippiness front - I think there could be a tendency to interperate invincibility based on the heft and thickness at the spine while in reality it is still very thin and very hard at the edge.

I like this post. For what it's worth, the Kato petty I've played with felt fantastic.

Aye, great post. Couldn't agree more with the point of misconception that a fat spine/heavy = beater. The reason I'm so guarded over my cleavers at work.

Last edited:
I was hoping this thread would discuss the Mizuno lines more.

The Mizuno blue steel 270 gyuto for $360 seems like a great value for a workhorse.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/HontanrenSeries.html#Hontanren

I may have to get one....

such a great knife. i sold mine only because im way too picky. the steel has really good retention, but its definitely a great workhorse. also, miz can withstand quite a beating and not chip. the 270mm measures out around 262mm edge length but is a tad short at the heel around 51mm. im much more of a 55-57mm heel height kind of guy. the handle quality is about the same as a ks(which means it definitely benefit from a rehandle IMO).

No worries josh, feel free to let me know. I definitely think kato fits your criteria. I have a takamura r2, but it is a laser, not sure about tanaka / saji.

Heard good things about the Tanaka R2/SG2. To be honest though, if I decided to go that route I'd probably just for a Takeshi Saji seeing as I've handled his gyutos before and like his profiles, plus Chefs Armoury stock them so I could pick one out for only slightly more. Saji's knives tend to run long too, not sure about Tanaka's.

Might PM you about the Kato, James. I'd be happy to send some stuff up your way, assuming you'd be interested in playing around with cleavers, don't really have anything else of interest :dontknow:

The Kato is probably getting a bit too expensive, I think the 240 would be a touch too small for my tastes and the 270 is $700+. I have no doubt it's worth every penny though.
The Heiji could be a possibility, been eying those off for a while now. Can anyone make any comparisons of the steel, carbon or semi stainless?

I have two Gesshin Heiji in semi stainless. It is stainless clad where the carbon is carbon clad. I really like the core steel. It doesn't feel awesome on the stones, a little subued, but the edges I get on it are great and have nice bite.

Hmm, could be on the table then. I was going by the measurements on Maxim's site. What's the steel like on the stones and in terms of retention?

The Kato feels similar to the Heiji on the stones, maybe a little more lively. Edges are nice, edge retention is not as good as the Heiji. It certainly isn't bad, but it isn't a world beater either. I would say it is similar to Shigefusa, nice retention, above average, but nothing great. Shiges feel nicer on the stones though.

Back