Thoughts on using 210mm and under knives for prep

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a home cook I either use 240, or jump down to 165 or 180 - both tall enough for a board work

ive used 210s and have never enjoyed them. I feel like you have to work the knife harder when cutting vegetables. Bigger knives have more "muscle" and allow you to simply steer the knife while letting it do the work.

My feeling as well, never been able to understand why, though.

I use this six inch gyuto/santoku hybrid at home. Nice because I have less room and smaller board. Wasn't cutting it at work.

littlerader3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

is that a funayuki?

I always buy 210's and never end up using them so I sell them. The only one I've kept and use almost daily is a Harner 215mm line knife. It cuts everything well, saves space on the line, is a bit taller at the heel then other line knives, between that and the grind it's the only "line knife" that's worked for me besides 240mm gyutos.

I use 210 gyuto as a line knife. For prep bigger is better, mainly reach for 270, 250 =}

I have kept buying 210s in the past , thinking I will use during service if not I will use at home, none of them replaced my large gyutos (270+) at work or a petty ( 150) at home
As long as it has a good distal taper and thin tip I will use my gyuto for any produce prep

Bought many 210 gyuto, santoku 180 - 165, nakiri 165-180,but never really used them a lot specially in prep time. Longer knives work better on prep shift and petty or slim gyutos on the line.

This is an interesting thread to me. Like many of you, have lots of gyutos (14 to be exact), a Bunka and a few sized pettys. Without a doubt, my G get the most use, but because each blade is so unique, I match the G-knife with the ingredient about to be prepped. However, I'm a home cook and work on a 14" X 14" end grain. My Kato 240 WH is my most unused knife, next to the DT ITK 250.

I agree that larger knives have more weight and blade length to work on, but their also not as nimble as smaller knives. Also, technique plays a big part to how your knives perform. My Dalman 172mm G with wicked taper and tip will put a whoop a$$ on any ingredient under that length.

For me its all about pairing the right knife with ingredient. Kinda sad that my Shig 188 G is only used for mushrooms, but their really well sliced mushrooms (HA)

Started with a 300mm carbon sab. After that a 270mm carbonext, then 240mm Asai and now my 210mm carbon Itinomonn is my favorite! Fits very well my meager skills and small kitchen.. Also enjoy my 190 Bunka and 150 Petty.. Really wan't a 300mm+ suji though..

Lars

At work I tend to use the biggest knife that will fit in the space available to speed things along and make the fewest cuts. However, our head day cook uses a 6" Miyabi as his main knife and doesn't seem to need a bigger one very often for whatever amount of prep. I'd guess that learning to process large amounts of bigger product with a small knife is just like learning to do fine precision work with a big knife.

At work I tend to use the biggest knife that will fit in the space available to speed things along and make the fewest cuts. However, our head day cook uses a 6" Miyabi as his main knife and doesn't seem to need a bigger one very often for whatever amount of prep. I'd guess that learning to process large amounts of bigger product with a small knife is just like learning to do fine precision work with a big knife.

I think it depends on what you learn on too. I learned my knife skills on a 10 inch knife , so bigger knives feel more comfortable to me.

Shibata 150 just grabbed the small prep role with alacrity. Made me bumb up to a 240mm when I need more. Made roast beef sandwiches and supremed oranges with the 150petty today. Really versatile. Could have used KS 165.. but it just doesn't like the board or i think, citrus. Any bigger needs, the 240 kono is waiting. New 210 suki Zdp hairline is waiting for a happy buyer at BST for a good deal..

Saw it for sale on a website and bought it. I don't if you can still buy a Radar off the shelf these days. You could then.

It's a nice little knife. Perfect for me at home.

I find it interesting that one of the best chefs in my hometown? He is a good friend. But he is a relative novice when it comes to J knives . He is presently using a 210 mm MAC. He loves it. I showed him my arsenal and he thought my Kono 240 was very sharp very thin and very light but way too big (long). His restaurant kitchen is small but not cramped... I think I have talked him into trying a Shibata 210 Ktip gyuto. Bet he's gonna love r2

Last edited:
I miss my Mac Pro all the time.

I find it interesting that one of the best chefs in my hometown? He is a good friend. But he is a relative novice when it comes to J knives . He is presently using a 210 mm MAC. He loves it. I showed him my arsenal and he thought my Kono 240 was very sharp very thin and very light but way too big (long). His restaurant kitchen is small but not cramped... I think I have talked him into trying a Shibata 210 Ktip gyuto. Bet he's gonna love r2

I started with a Mac Pro and I loved it. Then I learned a little more about proper J-knives and wasn't too into the Mac anymore. Then I learned a little more about sharpening, and about cutting with J-knives, and I like it again.

I'm just a home cook but I have only one 210mm. It's a strange size since I always reach for a 240mm for general cutting. I also have a smaller 180 that I use for a utility knife and a smaller paring knife. The 210mm that I have I only keep around because potatoes and starchy vegetables absolutely will not stick to that blade. If it were not for that I would not have a 210mm.

Back