Time To Switch To Bing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not that I think you shouldn't be allowed to dislike it. I don't care to judge WHAT others believe, only to analyze HOW they believe it. Carry the same concerns to your life elsewhere. If you will go out of your way to avoid this, does that mean you pay everything in cash, don't have cable TV(or broadcast TV, since the digital switch), avoid stores with security cameras and all toll roads, don't have customer accounts or electronic records anywhere?

Google doesn't tell people "Fred likes Hungarian Salumi and collects tropical fish, and lives in a white house on main street in Fredricksburg, TX. He would do anything to protect his dog, Chuck." It just says that he is one of a bajillion people who have shared interests in Salumi and tropical fish, lives in 78624, and talks alot about the words "Dog" and "Chuck". That kind of data is great for businesses--I've used it, my wife has used it. I if I had to make a living in total ignorance of who my customers are, what they do, what they like, and what they might do in the future, I'd rather be a mountain man. I personally want businesses to know what I want to buy, so they will sell it. Then I can buy it. It's the only voting I actually have a chance to participate in.

It just seems to me that folks expect Google to live up to a standard that does not exist anywhere else. What you do on someone's website isn't private, you are using a computer in someone else's building. They are allowing you to share a real, physical thing they own. You are reading this because many of us paid actual currency to pay for the site to live on a computer in a room somewhere. It has a plug that goes into a wall, it collects dust, it gets hot, it requires maintenance--it is a real thing someone else owns that we are using together. To expect anonymity as a right, or even an option, is hard for me to understand. :scratchhead:

I also tend to feel that in general, we are becoming more and more public as a society. People are posting their entire lives all over facebook, twitter, etc and its becoming normalized to a ridiculous degree with the youngest of us. I feel that creating a more private web browsing experience is one small measure in which I can take back some privacy in my life. Maybe its just me and I'm off my rocker, who knows.

The "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" approach just doesn't quite work for me. And I feel like you're making some very valid points. Its a comfort thing for me.

I feel you on the comfort thing. If you've never spent a night reading about secret government stuff and arcane theories about society until you are scared to look out the window and you feel like the guy in The Raven by Poe...well, you haven't really lived.

I agree that the real problem is that so much stuff is shifting to be done in communal shared environments, that it is probably not good for us. The fact that I never truly have to say goodbye to someone is a strange fact. I mean, I was watching TV the other day and two characters(close friends) were saying goodbye forever, very sad. I was thinking "why don't they just keep up with each other on Facebook or Instagram or something?" That is how Goodbyes go these days--"Well, I guess this is Goodbye. This is hard. Well, we can just call or email anytime. Or video chat. So no big deal. See you around!" I talk regularly with a friend whose whole family lives on mission in Thailand. I know more about her kids than my own Niece.

And my wife and I can just call each other at any point in the day when we are out of the house. She went to D.C. for a weekend, and when she came back, it felt like she just stepped out for errands. That can't be good for people. Because people eventually die, and sometimes you are actually alone, and we can't be totally unprepared to deal with that stuff through the natural baby steps.

So I agree with you, but the answer for me is to go into the woods sometimes and don't bring your phone. Something I almost never get to do anymore.

*edit* Also, on the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear"...I want to say that I don't do anything I am ashamed of, just plenty of things that other people wouldn't understand. I often don't say what I'm thinking, but not because I wish I hadn't thought it, just that it wouldn't play well in the room. But when I get asked, like when Google checks to see what I'm doing...well, they asked for it! Make sense of my browser history, will you? I'll show you a confounding assortment of interests!

When I renewed my business license a few years ago someone decided that I was a pharmacy. Google has my home address and phone number telling people that there is a pharmacy in my nome. I am not comfortable with that, but I am stuck with it.

Thanks Eamon, I will investigate further!

hehe what you guys think of this guy ?
I think its quite ironik that he posting all his videos on YouTube and they alow it :D

[video=youtube;HbU2fXzdkuM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbU2fXzdkuM[/video]

I admit it, I'm one of the "paranoid" ones. I don't use my real name on line, I use email aliases, I block cookies and scripts. I lie about my birthdate and pet names. One of the reasons that I do this is I've taken a lot of computer security classes. And one of the common points the computer security instructors make is DON'T put personal information on line. In fact, the practice of using false personal information on line was advocated by more than one instructor. It's not Big Brother I'm worried about---it's ID theft. And if you're dog's name is "Chuck", that's one of the first things someone will try as a password when they try to break into your account.

hehe what you guys think of this guy ?
I think its quite ironik that he posting all his videos on YouTube and they alow it :D

[video=youtube;HbU2fXzdkuM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbU2fXzdkuM[/video]

I think he's out there. As in talking crazy, all the time.

The only problem with that, is that he's right waaaay too much of the time. Predicting 9/11, wars, drafts, economic collapse, long before they were the miserable reality.

He's not the investigator, he's just a mouthpiece. But he knows some real stuff. My only concern with trusting his information is that he isn't dead yet. People like Bill Cooper, who DO investigate firsthand, often end up on the wrong end of a "police altercation" or a "tragic accident". Due to his continued survival, I am not sure how how to distinguish, in what Alex Jones professes, between what may be truth and what may be state-sponsored counter-intelligence.

As has been mentioned, the problems include ID theft, restriction on the type of information that you are presented with (Google restricts search results based on things that you're most likely to click on), more effective advertising (we don't have unlimited cash), discrimination from insurance companies - who buy your data, and general slow eroding of expectations of privacy.

Back