Torn between Sakai Yusuke KS clone and Konosuke Funayuki/Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a kono 240hh gyuto and I like it a lot. I am lucky I was able to get one before the price increase.Now the prices have gone up %30 percent (roughly $100 per 240 gyuto ) I doubt I would have ordered the same knife. I haven't owned both brands at the same time yet but from the pictures they seem very similar and Sakai Yusuke seems to be the better bang for the buck

Do you know the exact species of steel used in the stainless? How was it in terms of ease on sharpening compared to a carbon?

I have no idea what kind of steel it is, and to be honest, i don't really care. I stopped obsessing about steel types long ago.

I terms of sharpening, i would say it needed a couple more passes on the stone to create a burr compared to carbon, the burr is very easy to remove though compared to some stainless steels i've used.

In terms of the profile, while were all calling this the KS clone, it's deffintely no clone. The KS has less width at the heel, is longer on the edge and is more spear like.

Sorry to barrage you with questions aphex, but do you have the "flatter" yusuke or the standard one that's currently available on blueway?

I got one of the first flat profile knives made.

Back