Toronto - Where to eat?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, no dice on the Jays game, got too late of a start, but Rol San was very good.
Reat reccomendation, thank you. The pork spare ribs in black bean were the best I've had anywhere.

Glad you enjoyed it!
Sorry about the crappy weather though....Hope it clears up for the rest of your stay.

10%? 15% is standard in Toronto and the rest of Canada.

Uh... not from anyone I've gone out to eat with and certainly not what friends and family who have worked as servers have observed.

Then again, my friends and I don't typically go to swanky places so maybe it's different with nicer joints. Certainly none of them or family who worked as servers worked in anyplace special.

I think it really depends what restaurants your at. Most of the Asian restaurants that I frequent have tip somewhere included in the bill, the rest of the places I go I usually tip 15% min. Unless service was terrible. I don't eat out much though, my most frequented place is probably Cora's for breakfast or a local place for ribs. The rest of the time it's business dinners and work picks up the bill :)

I think it really depends what restaurants your at. Most of the Asian restaurants that I frequent have tip somewhere included in the bill, the rest of the places I go I usually tip 15% min. Unless service was terrible. I don't eat out much though, my most frequented place is probably Cora's for breakfast or a local place for ribs. The rest of the time it's business dinners and work picks up the bill :)

Asian is the exception to the rule in Toronto. Even in pubs 15% is expected.

One Chinese joint my family and I got to know some of the servers and one of them whispered to us once "Don't bother adding a tip. We don't get any of it. The boss takes it all." I think that's changed since then though, and I think they were an exception.

Chinese joints operate on a pooled tipping system, so typically no one individual ever feels particularly concerned about the tip... or the service. This is really why you don't get attentive service at chinese joints. Uh... at least not if you're Chinese. They may treat non-Chinese customers better.

My grandmother used to make up for this with some servers who were really good by slipping them red envelopes with cash in them during Chinese New Year's. I don't know how to do anything like that with her gone now, as only someone senior gives someone junior those envelopes. Peers don't, and I'm not old enough to count as senior to the servers. No idea if this way will even remain with the current generation.

Anyhow, I'm getting off-topic. I guess I've ended up tipping a bit over 11.5% most of the time since I calculate on after-tax totals.

Last night we ate at Khao San Road, based on your Sukhothai suggestions, as it seem to be the same owners. The meal was exceptional, easily the best thai I have ever experienced.
Lunch was Bannock's at the Bay, for a "taste of authenticity," we had poutine and a smoked salmon bannock. While not the magical thai we had the night before, it as quite good comfort food, like a Thanksgiving pita.
Then we went on to Little Nicky's for mini doughnuts and a cappuccino, those hot little doughnuts are magical. This should be on everybody's must-do list!

There were some foodie locals at Khao San Road that were seated next to us at the community table, their bill was around $110 and they tipped $10. I've been paying close attention elsewhere to what people are tipping because I feel weird only tipping 10% (been tipping 15% here, I usually do closer to 25% back home) but 10% does seem to be what people are doing from what I have seen.

<I've been paying close attention elsewhere to what people are tipping because I feel weird only tipping 10% (been tipping 15% here, I usually do closer to 25% back home) but 10% does seem to be what people are doing from what I have seen>

Tip what you feel like tipping..It's no different here(Toronto)then anywhere else in North America.
Bad to horrible service= stiff em'
Acceptable service= 10%
Good to excellent= 15%++
It's up to you..

Funny, I work across the street from Bannock and I still haven't gotten around to going in.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I love The Black Hoof! Very charcuterie and game/offal based.

I haven't been, but I read that Grant Achatz loves the $45 smoked Manhattan at BarChef. So if your pockets are too fully of money, you can try that ;)

k.

Actually I think 10% in Toronto is considered pretty low. At least 15% for acceptable service has been standard for a long time I'd say. I used to serve in a not so busy place, with older and richer clientel and a 10% tip came occasionally but would definitely be considered low compared to the avg.

Now I"m in the kitchen, but the place is busy with young people and the wait staff make good tips. If someone tips a flat 15% its definitely on the low side of the avg.

I think a lot depends on the type of restaurant and type of clientel as well.

One Chinese joint my family and I got to know some of the servers and one of them whispered to us once "Don't bother adding a tip. We don't get any of it. The boss takes it all." I think that's changed since then though, and I think they were an exception.

Chinese joints operate on a pooled tipping system, so typically no one individual ever feels particularly concerned about the tip... or the service. This is really why you don't get attentive service at chinese joints. Uh... at least not if you're Chinese. They may treat non-Chinese customers better.

My grandmother used to make up for this with some servers who were really good by slipping them red envelopes with cash in them during Chinese New Year's. I don't know how to do anything like that with her gone now, as only someone senior gives someone junior those envelopes. Peers don't, and I'm not old enough to count as senior to the servers. No idea if this way will even remain with the current generation.

Anyhow, I'm getting off-topic. I guess I've ended up tipping a bit over 11.5% most of the time since I calculate on after-tax totals.

Ha, my mom also has a few special servers she loves and gives the red pockets as well. I love that and wish I can do that one day. I'll feel like a gangster in Goodfellas.

I haven't been, but I read that Grant Achatz loves the $45 smoked Manhattan at BarChef. So if your pockets are too fully of money, you can try that ;)

k.

My niece's husband had one a while back and said it was weird(too smokey) and not worth $45.00....to each their own.

If you're still looking for an authentic cantonese experience outside of downtown, a good suggestion (that takes reservations also) is Maple Yip in scarborough.

Solid food there

Back