tsukasa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayGee

Reaction score
There is a 210 Tsukasa kitaeji at Japan Tool! Looks wild.

What exactly is meant by kitaeji? I always just thought it was Shig's term for pattern welded or 'Damascus'...

I find the torsional patterns from Tsukasa Hinoura more visually appealing, is there a functional advantage to the 'Kitaeji' pattern? More labur intensive vs his other style?

Kasumi in my understanding refers to the way the knife is forged and how the hagane and jigane are situated, my assumption was that kitaeji was referring to the same albeit in a different configuration. I think a lot of people conflate finish with construction.

Though I suppose I then do not understand a "kasumi gyuto" unless it's single bevel. More like warikomi or San Mai gyuto innit...

"One of the two most beautiful, most well made, most sought after Kitaeji knives from Japan. No need to mention what the other one is.(^^)"

...someone please DO mention who this other one is.

Kasumi in my understanding refers to the way the knife is forged and how the hagane and jigane are situated, my assumption was that kitaeji was referring to the same albeit in a different configuration. I think a lot of people conflate finish with construction.

Though I suppose I then do not understand a "kasumi gyuto" unless it's single bevel. More like warikomi or San Mai gyuto innit...

That was my initial take on it as well. I always thought "Kasumi" was the construction of single bevel hagane and jigane. Shigefusa uses as a series name and it seems it is universally used to describe the contrast between hagane and jigane brought about by fingerstone finishes (I believe it translates as "misty" or similar, which is fitting for the visual).

That was my initial take on it as well. I always thought "Kasumi" was the construction of single bevel hagane and jigane. Shigefusa uses as a series name and it seems it is universally used to describe the contrast between hagane and jigane brought about by fingerstone finishes (I believe it translates as "misty" or similar, which is fitting for the visual).

As far as I am aware, neither kasumi nor kitaeji refer to the method of construction of the blade, but rather to the finish and/or tyoe of cladding.

According to Gator (zknives.com):

Kasumi - In Japanese kasumi means mist. Refers to rather hazy looks of softer jigane next to hard, shiny hagane.

Kitaeji - Multi Layer Jigane. Often referred as damascus.​

A blade made with a hagane (core) and jigane (cladding) is known as awase:

Awase - Generic Japanese term for clad knives. Softer layer Jigane is clad over hard steel core Hagane. There are three types of awase: San-Mai, Warikomi and Ni-Mai.​

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Rick

Off topic but isn't hattori KD technically the most lusted after knife in Japan. But I'm guessing he means shigefusa or maybe kato, both are in crazy demand.

Back