UK Passaround!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vital statistics

Edge length 233mm
Hight 51mm
Spine thickness above heel 4.5mm halfway point 1.5mm 10mm from tip 0.8mm
Thickness behind the edge at half way point 2mm behind 0.1mm, 10mm behind tip 0.7mm
Weight 186g

I've already posted some detailed feedback through pm to Dan, but I wanted to post some quick thoughts here.

When I opened the parcel I was quite surprised. My expectations of a fully forged Western gyuto were that it would be quite beastly, not with this one. The knife is actually quite petite compared to my other Western. On picking up the knife it was quite blade heavy (which is a good thing in my book) balancing about 3cm in front of the bolster. It has the most extreme taper I've ever seen on a knife, starting at 4.5mm then quickly reducing down to 1.5mm at the halfway point. This does make the knife a touch bendy, particularly at the incredibly skinny tip. The profile of the knife immediately reminded me of the Tanaka R2, a nice ballance (for me) between belly and flat spot. It also has that characteristic kink on the spine like the Tanaka has when in conjunction with the highly tapered bolster and handle makes for a very purposeful and attractive knife.

The grind if fully convex and very thin behind the edge. The grind also looks very even which must be incredibly difficult to achieve considering how thin it is. In cutting various product both hard and soft, I found the knife to cut with very little resistance. It is right up there with with the best I own or have used. Considering how thin the knife is, food release is pretty good, but not the best. The only sticking and riding up the blade was found when rough dicing harder product like swede. Nothing welded itself to the blade face though, just a quick push and it was off. Very nice geometry I say.

As others have said, the only problem with the knife is the bolster/handle. It needs to bigger in all directions and the bolster should be a touch taller and positioned slightly further away from the heel as I found my long fingers were getting a bit cramped.

All in all I'd say this is a great performer and I really enjoyed my time with it. When you faster in the price, this knife is a serious bargain and I'd recommend anyone thinking about it should get on board, I'am.

A big thanks to Dan for letting me try the knife, I really appreciate it. I'll be sending it on the the next in line later this week.

Here are a few quick pics I took with my phone.

IMzKu8A.jpg

aCtKORw.jpg

X80Gaxg.jpg

Qks4otj.jpg

R4NxLmH.jpg

fGYfMwU.jpg

Just a quick edit for the above, the knife measures 0.7mm, 10mm above the edge at the half way point, not the tip.

Is the knife still with you Aphex?

Dan,

Is there a reason you choose the bar diameter you use?

I'm curious as it does seem a bit thinner than most go for, and I can't help but wonder if it's a matter of availability or preference.

MAS4T0, remind me what size bar I said I used? I can't remember what size I said, but it would be 23, 24 or 25mm round. Whatever size it is it certainly doesn't feel thin when I'm forging it!
But to answer your question, it depends what steel I'm using. Common steels are easy to find in an array of shapes and sizes, less common steels less so. Generally if the size or shape really doesn't suit my working style I will use something else. We are actually pretty spoiled for steels anyway these days.

PS Thanks again to Aphex for a great review!
MAS4T0 could you send him your address, if you haven't already, as I believe you are next on the list.

I've sent my details.

I'll let you know when the knife arrives.

The knife arrived with me a few minutes ago.

Great knife Dan! I'll update later with some thoughts.

Here's some initial thoughts on the knife (I'd literally just opened the packet):

[video=youtube;ogf5wcgivWE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogf5wcgivWE[/video]

I'll update when I've had some more time with it.

A few notes about the video:

1. In order get the camera positioned to look forward into the board, I had to use a movable butcher block. That's why the surface is rocking at times.

2. I was using a small board as I wasn't making anything at the time, and didn't feel like washing a bigger board.

3. I wasn't doing anything to aid with release, and was going very slowly, so you could really assess the difference.

4. Bonus points if you can identify what I'm wearing. Lol

Are those Muay Thai or kick boxing trunks?

Also, yay for another lefty! Woo!

First lefty knife maker I've known :D

And WOOO! Knew I recognized those trunks, I did MMA for a long time :)

D'oh!
Okay, could you send it back to me?

Is it still available for UK pass around? Would like to get my hands on it 😀

I'm afraid this passaround is over.
But, there may be another soon!

Back