Ultimatum Redux

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. And you get a nice handle. I had to polish my KS.

Any day.

I'd have no issue paying $350 for that knife as is.

Currently;
$190 for 19c27
$200 for 52100
$250 for M390 (if it happens, it's still in the works)

So, would a buck-fitty cover a new grind, polish and handle f/ Mario? Seems on the low end to me... I'd guess more like another 2 hundy... maybe more?

Wow nice work Mario. Not sure I could be convinced to spend more than the Masamoto but hey it sure is a looker.

Dave

The handle is a luxury. Could easily do without.

Nice re-finishing job on that Ultimatum, Mario - looks Beaut!

Salty - we'd all love to see some vids of how it performs. Especially thoughts on before and after.

It begs the question - considering the price of the knife new f/ Mark, and then adding Mario's fees for re-finishing and a new handle, does the total cost justify the end result? Compared to other knives that wouldn't require such re-finishing? I'm curious, because I purchased an Ultimatum in 52100, but returned it because I wasn't happy with the knife for many reasons, level of finish being one of them.

The answer is no.It would cost more to re-handle/re-grind one of those then to purchase a new one from me.

Any chance we can get some more pics? Kinda curious how the profile compares to the ks which is the knife it was patterned after no?

Any chance we can get some more pics? Kinda curious how the profile compares to the ks which is the knife it was patterned after no?

And it would be nice to see a Sabatier in the pic as well as I believe this to be the origin of the profile?

And it would be nice to see a Sabatier in the pic as well as I believe this to be the origin of the profile?

Sabatier profiles are all over the place. I've seen some sabs with super flat profiles and some with a good amount of belly. Pics of this knife next to the masamoto ks would be cool. It would be real cool if the pics could visually compare the grinds too.

Sabatier profiles are all over the place. I've seen some sabs with super flat profiles and some with a good amount of belly. Pics of this knife next to the masamoto ks would be cool. It would be real cool if the pics could visually compare the grinds too.

Interesting...I have a few nogent/**** and K-Sab...virtually no belly whatsoever...have handled many additional ****/elephants and all have had very similar profiles...that being said, being a professional chef, I'm sure you've seen many more than me. I am curious though as I had always heard that Masamoto had 'borrowed' their profile from K-Sab...am I just misinformed (wouldn't surprise me)?

Back