Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
people are too easily offended because they're weak minded which I have no sympathy for. instead of striving to be less of a p*ssy they just cry foul.

I'm not going to go out of my way to make sure some random person doesn't take offense to my choice of words, that's their own internal problem.

just like it's my own struggle that I find issue with others being so sensitive.
I used to think that way.

And to be certain, there certainly are delicate snowflakes who find offense under every rock.

But that’s not who I’m talking about. I’m talking about the folks that hear racial, cultural, sexual, or gendered slurs and just…quietly die a little inside. Or feel excluded. Or feel unsafe.

You’ll never ever know it to look at them and they will never ever tell you. But in that moment, you aren’t showing up like you think you are.

Bla bla bla…
Breakfast Club Nerd GIF

Sure. I’m totally fine with that. It’s easy enough to avoid racist/sexist/discriminatory language, and doing so is simply part of ongoing behavioural change. I avoid the term “master/slave” in any new code and documentation. That’s just normal language hygiene. But going back and editing source code to replace it doesn’t help anyone. It feels like a pointless exercise of going through the motions for the sake of appearances.
Sometimes it just feels like the right thing to do. It may not make a practical difference.
It reminds me of the Roald Dahl revision controversy. What does that achieve? It feels like whitewashing in an attempt to protect the publisher’s revenue stream, not an effort to actually affect change.
I actually think this is a horrible practice. Let the work speak for itself, for better or worse. Some things are a product of their time and their creator. If they stand behind their work, let them. Don’t make decisions on their behalf.

was lucky enough to see it in Charleston back in 2017, it was an incredible experience and I totally understand why ancient people thought it was this intense supernatural event. I was in a dog park at the time and the second everything went black all the animals (dogs, birds, etc) just stopped and it was utter silence. Amazing
I had to work during this one. Got to experience it with a bunch of drunks to the background noise of free bird while slinging burgers. Still pissed off about that.

As someone who grew up with the master/slave convention in hardware and software, I find a change to primary/secondary or another less fraught set of terms to be a good thing and not at all upsetting.

Words matter. How we use words both reflects our thinking and influences our thinking. These changes are a very small reflection of improving social norms.

It’s no skin off my back to avoid terms that others find genuinely offensive. I’m not (usually) intending to offend and if being conscious of my word choices is part of that, ok.

Agree, words do matter. Language and how it’s used are always evolving.

It’s good being aware of outdated language that offends, pretty much a requirement for anyone who has a job, or lives in a city.

Things that don’t impact you. What other people consume. How other people feel about social issues that don’t align with yours. I’m sure you think you’re just telling it like it is but it comes across as incessantly whiny and ignorant.
fair enough, I realize me saying fake products shouldn't exist is hypocritical of what I've been saying. it's all meant in tongue in cheek and I don't actually feel that strongly about it. more just ruffling feathers.

Things that don’t impact you. What other people consume. How other people feel about social issues that don’t align with yours. I’m sure you think you’re just telling it like it is but it comes across as incessantly whiny and ignorant.
IMHO that is why passing judgement on a forum is tricky...

This piece has always been fascinating. I’m thinking instead maybe TF, Shihan, Raquin and one other? Raquin sorta looks like Marx so this might work.
They gotta subsidize it though. This level of dedication deserves bankrolling.
Interesting to know that these makers are your sorta Mt Rushmore. Maybe there’s a thread somewhere here.

Back