Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! Drives me apeshit, finally settled on 3x zoom for my S23 and just having it focus on my fingers and take about 6 to get a good choil in there somewhere.

Now on to choil commentary:

It tickles me to no end that the choil #1 markedly outcut choil #2
View attachment 320076View attachment 320077

see, now that's a good choil shot right there. no comment on the choil. i mean the shot is good.
could possibly benefit from more direct illumination of the choil, though.

see, now that's a good choil shot right there. no comment on the choil. i mean the shot is good.
could possibly benefit from more direct illumination of the choil, though.
3x zoom and some back lighting usually does the trick

Choil city

Attachments

• 20230915_203440.jpg
    20230915_203440.jpg
    689 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230802_220517.jpg
    20230802_220517.jpg
    793.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230403_230522.jpg
    20230403_230522.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230301_165253.jpg
    14.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230301_164615.jpg
    13.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230109_153354.jpg
    20230109_153354.jpg
    821.6 KB · Views: 0
me neither, but who doesn't like $5 Foot Long? i'll fight you
Hahahaha, ...I prefer a half a sandwich at Subway. Haven't been in years, might try a whole one since I probably eat more these days.
Slightly of topic—been meaning to try Jersey Mike's, my brother likes them.

Unpopular Opinion:
I dislike bundles on BST, it's akin to Subway's long gone "$5 Foot Long" deal.
Is that unpopular? I thought I was one of the few that didn't mind them.

Also I bought a bundle to get something I really wanted and it came with a Joel Black eel knife that it turns out I really like. It's like the world's shortest suji, of the fat-spined style.

Subway and Jersey Mikes are both garbage compared to a proper New Jersey sub.
New tried a proper New Jersey sub, ...added to list. Was tempted to try a Jersey MIke's my last time in Hawaii, but balked at the price, it was $19.60 for a California Club Sub!!! Passed on it and got a massive bowl of pho from the Vietnamese next door for a less money.

have you been to urban hawker in midtown?
No, never been, I'm rarely in midtown, except when visiting MTC—was in Singapore a month ago—in NYC I prefer to go to the Malaysian/Singaporean joints the Chinatowns/Malaysian neighborhoods.

My last burger at Five Guy's was a little sloppy, the bun a little too squishy, aluminum foil makes them a little soggy IMHO. Shake Shacks burgers are architecturally sounder.
5523CB56-F090-4FC5-93D5-BC96465B943A.JPG

Comparing Five Guys to In-n-Out, is like comparing Outback Steakhouse to Arby's...

wait, which one is which?
i would consider outback to be much better, but i don't like either tbh.

i think in-n-out is better than 5guys, but i am biased because in-n-out doesn't exist where i live, so it feels exotic.
shake shack is for sure better than 5guys. between shake shack and in-n-out, idk. maybe in-n-out, but i've always been on vacation with friends and in a great mood when having it, so that colors my perception.

in-n-out > shake shack > culver's > 5 guys
maybe?

ps: weirdly, arby's is probably the only fast food chain that i have absolutely zero interest in. i don't get why anyone eats there. i guess the seasoned curly fries are ok, but no one goes just for fries lol. i'm no stranger to fast food, and i've eaten at arby's 2–3x total. it sucks even by fast food standards.

pps: the cool thing about culver's is the sandwiches have been buy one get one free for many years. wild that they haven't plugged that coupon leak.

Last edited:
Richard & I tried out 5 guys we are both retired cooks. Not impressed at all esp. the burger overcooked dry falling apart.

Janice & I used to buy subway foot longs cut in half. In a cooler with potato salad.
At the beach at Kahala. Tasted good after swimming or snorkeling.

Keith's salmon burger with healthy ingredients & steak fries skin on.
20240428_154744.jpg
20240428_155019.jpg

I feel like I'm one of the few that has remained super disappointed in Jersey Mike's and never liked it, despite multiple chances in store as well as catering tries.

I put 5 guys in a slightly different tier than In-N-Out. Kinda like comparing Moe's to taco bell. 5 guys is solid if you want to feel bad after 2k calories, but too expensive and too greasy for me to go more than once a year, at best.

Whataburger > In-N-Out > Cookout though I freely acknowledge that Innie is markedly better in CA than TX, and it's a good value for what you pay. But a double whataburger with jalapeños and spicy ketchup just scratches that late-night drunk itch sooooo nicely.

I feel like I'm one of the few that has remained super disappointed in Jersey Mike's and never liked it, despite multiple chances in store as well as catering tries.

I put 5 guys in a slightly different tier than In-N-Out. Kinda like comparing Moe's to taco bell. 5 guys is solid if you want to feel bad after 2k calories, but too expensive and too greasy for me to go more than once a year, at best.

Whataburger > In-N-Out > Cookout though I freely acknowledge that Innie is markedly better in CA than TX, and it's a good value for what you pay. But a double whataburger with jalapeños and spicy ketchup just scratches that late-night drunk itch sooooo nicely.
Whataburgers are in the South a regional enterprise.

Back