Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah just the polished vs unpolished finish. I was always under the impression the polymerized oil would fill the pores and roughly equalize everything anyway plus I wasn't sure how well the polished Smithey interior would actually hold on to seasoning. Didn't seem to want to at first but after few months it's started to pull ahead from the very well-loved and well-seasoned lodge.

The Smithey is a little heavier than Lodge (both 12") but I don't think that matters much. Both bigass heavy skillets.

Last edited:
Haven't visited this thread in a while. Damaspork posting all his meat dishes on what you cooked thread has vegetarian wife. My better half doesn't like leather seats in a car or wearing leather belts because they come from a cow. I love leather belts, wallets you name it.

Read labels on food ingredients some are a mile long with all kinds of laboratory stuff. Even make own salad dressing tastes good not all that crap in it. We are eating more plant base foods.
Fish & eggs will never give up. I eat more eggs than her, they are loaded with nutrients esp. the yolks.

This soy substitute meat use in curry, pasta, stews. If your sauce is good the soy takes on the flavors.

Found a good curry paste few healthy ingredients, the shrimp paste adds umami. I add lots of fresh ginger, garlic, lemongrass, coconut milk, kaffer lime leaves & juice. Lots of fresh vegetables it's all in the sauce. Curry picture yellow paste mild for her. Also have Panang(picture), & red spicy for me.

Make my own trail mix too. Put in it what I like all the dried fruit has no added sugar. The tart dry cherries are good, figs, apricots, mango.

View attachment 314809View attachment 314808View attachment 314807View attachment 314806

Mae Ploy brand curry? That's good stuff, although I find their green and red curry to be excessively hot. The yellow and Massaman are pretty mild though; sounds like I need to try their Panang.

Mae Ploy brand curry? That's good stuff, although I find their green and red curry to be excessively hot. The yellow and Massaman are pretty mild though; sounds like I need to try their Panang.
The red is medium hot, green is hotter. Also put cinnamon in some curries instead of sugar cinnamon is healthy good for diabetics. Turmeric is also healthy use in moderation because it's bitter. Made a eggplant curry with Panang. Tai basil from garden, lemongrass, keffer lime leaves, coconut milk. If you like ground pork pares well with Panang. It has some heat less than red. Savory sauce.

I've only tried their green but liked the umami funk it has. Agree it certainly has some sass to it.

I've been digging the Maesri tins for curry paste lately too. I order the variety pack since I can never decide which I like best

The Mae Ploy is good because has real food & spice ingredients. Nothing else. Much of Eastern packaged stuff is loaded with stuff that's unhealthy. Just read what goes into most of the noodle packaging.

I like the Red & Panang both have some spice, but not overly hot. The yellow is mild.

I've only tried their green but liked the umami funk it has. Agree it certainly has some sass to it.

I've been digging the Maesri tins for curry paste lately too. I order the variety pack since I can never decide which I like best

I been rocking the Maesri lately

PXL_20240416_160909449.jpg

We use quite a few curry pastes. We have done our own paste from scratch and they ARE better, but due to the time it takes and the fact we frequently might not have a required ingredient I find the pastes are fantastic on their own.

For Thai curries I use the paste but I amplify it by adding more fresh ginger, garlic, chilies, lemongrass, etc. And I toast some coriander and cumin seeds and crush them and add those too. And more soy, fish sauce, lime juice, etc. The can is just one note in the recipe.

For Indian curries I can't do spice blends or pastes. I haven't found any that I like as well as what I can do from scratch.

We also add quite a bit to the curry pastes. My wife taught me to prepare a lot of ingredients and put them in small bags to freeze them for easy use. I slice fresh ginger, galengal, lemongrass, lemons, limes, and they can be easily used. We lay them in a single layer flat in small bags, and then put those little bags inside a larger quart bag. Storing things frozen is a great way to get full use out of what we buy.

Sharpening progressions with more than two stones in them are usually overkill.
If you were limited to two stones (for routine maintenance; I’m excluding repairs or major thinning) what would they be?

If you were limited to two stones (for routine maintenance; I’m excluding repairs or major thinning) what would they be?
I am (obviously) not @stringer, but strictly for edges I'd have a 800 grit diamond stone and a great Belgian coticule - can't imagine needing more than that under normal circumstances

Going out on a limb here - a seasoned sharpener can get more out of stone than a noob and consequently needs fewer to get the job done. Some people can't get a clean paper cutting edge of a course stone

Going out on a limb here - a seasoned sharpener can get more out of stone than a noob and consequently needs fewer to get the job done. Some people can't get a clean paper cutting edge of a course stone
Maybe, maybe not. Takes some skill to properly de-burr on something fairly coarse. But also I rarely see someone improve the quality of an apex on a finer stone if the coarse stone work is mediocre. Just as easy to round an edge with finer stone as it is to crisply de-burr and refine the apex. I think I'd rather teach someone to sharpen with an 800 grit and a strop than an 800 grit and 3k for instance.

I recall that there was talk of a sharpener who only used a Chosera 800 and could get excellent edges out of it by technique alone.
Definitely doable. I don't find 500-1.5k edges problematic at all if properly de-burred. I've managed to cleanly de-burr off my 400 grit diamond using light edge leading strokes before. Toothier than I like personally, but was definitely "sharp"

I recall that there was talk of a sharpener who only used a Chosera 800 and could get excellent edges out of it by technique alone.
I mean @cotedupy put us all to shame in the hanging hair test thread by passing the HHT off of a Shapton 120, presumably by letting it glaze over a bit and work more like something higher grit, and by decreasing the pressure.

I mean @cotedupy put us all to shame in the hanging hair test thread by passing the HHT off of a Shapton 120, presumably by letting it glaze over a bit and work more like something higher grit, and by decreasing the pressure.

From what I recall it was something like that. I recall the post was by @labor of love and trying to find the source he mentioned, but was never able to.

?
Don’t recall this. Probably was someone else?

May have been, as search isn't being my friend, and I'm pretty sure this was pre-Covid days so years. I just recall it being a post here about how the member had watched a skilled person using a Chosera 800 (or maybe a 3000, now I'm not sure), make a blade screaming sharp.

Latest posts

Back