Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We probably should move this whole conversation to a separate coffee bean thread. Here are three reasonably priced Canadian beans I can recommend as daily driver…not overly sour nor too dark. All pretty balanced imo.

IMG_0722.png

Last edited:
I think our hard London water is probably the single biggest limiting factor at this point, even when filtered through a BWT.

I don’t like the hassle/environmental impact of buying bottled water.

The Timemore is my first electric grinder after 10 years of coffee herders, and I’m pretty content. Part of the enjoyment of pour over for me is that once you have a good grinder, inoffensive water, and good beans, that’s kind of it in terms of reasonable upgrades.

The coffee I make at home improved the most when I was bored over COVID and became slightly neurotic about developing my palette, jotting down flavour notes and getting more familiar with what under and over extraction tastes like, versus when I’ve ever bought new kit.
Easy…make your own water…a lot of recipes, but you can also use premade stuff like this product.

https://thirdwavewater.com/

To be fair, I also had an early version of the DF64, which was horribly inconsistent until I got an antipopcorning insert, and is still pretty bad after that with the stock clump crusher that creates a ton of fines from regrinding. It may not be the fairest comparison for flat vs conical burrs when it's these other flaws that were the problem. That kind of turned me off from their other offerings to be honest, even though the DF83 seems like a great price for what it is. Even on the newer versions the bellows are still on the upper burr carrier that uses a spring for spacing, meaning when you press the bellows, you also press the burrs closer together.
Yeah I just treat the DF as a carrier for the SSP burrs. Got a great deal on a used one, and a big upgrade from my eureka. One day I'll grab something a little more high end. Love the look of a zerno. Even though it's 64mm, I hear alignment is near perfect which is awesome and very important

@labor of love ok I'll post here to not clog up the thread. Someone else said to dial the signature back and in addition to that, I just posted a lighthearted meme about loving baby jesus because he had a lot of jesus talk in his signature. What does that have to do with signal boosting or whatever? Why tag me twice asking to respond, it's not that deep lol

Anyway why get so mean over a ricky bobby gif? Did TF break up with you or something man.

Last edited:
@labor of love ok I'll post here to not clog up the thread. Someone else said to dial the signature back and in addition to that, I just posted a lighthearted meme about loving baby jesus because he had a lot of jesus talk in his signature. What does that have to do with signal boosting or whatever? Why tag me twice asking to respond, it's not that deep lol

Anyway why get so mean over a ricky bobby gif? Did TF break up with you or something man.

It was distasteful. Especially in a welcome post.

I think the signature is distasteful. Regardless, it was nothing disparaging, nor did I say to change it. What's distasteful? Baby jesus=bad?

You found the signature distasteful and then posted a meme about said signature. Sorta makes the "lighthearted" intent seem weak. Some might see it as mocking.

You found the signature distasteful and then posted a meme about said signature. Sorta makes the "lighthearted" intent seem weak. Some might see it as mocking.
I guess distasteful isn't really the right word. More like cringey. But again, it's just a Ricky Bobby meme. Are we not allowed to make jokes about religion now?

Also haven't you talked somewhere on this thread about words and people being too sensitive and stuff? Something about being anti woke?

Regardless. Not deep. Scene from the movie just popped in my head when I read the signature, so I posted. The end

I guess distasteful isn't really the right word. More like cringey. But again, it's just a Ricky Bobby meme. Haven't you talked somewhere on this thread about words and people being too sensitive and stuff?

Regardless. Not deep. Scene from the movie just popped in my head when I read the signature, so I posted. The end

You found it cringy then. Same, same. You had a reaction to the signature and took the time to post that meme. You could've just let it go, but you didn't. Context matters hero.

You found it cringy then. Same, same. You had a reaction to the signature and took the time to post that meme. You could've just let it go, but you didn't. Context matters hero.
What am I missing with the hero thing?

"took the time to post the meme" Bro I just type ricky bobby jesus meme ON THE BUILT IN FORUM RESPONSE. It took less than 15 seconds. "I could have let it go" There was nothing there in the first place o_O

What am I missing with the hero thing?

"took the time to post the meme" Bro I just type ricky bobby jesus meme ON THE BUILT IN FORUM RESPONSE. It took less than 15 seconds. "I could have let it go" There was nothing there in the first place o_O

It was a welcome post. Some might see what you posted as mocking. Some might see it as intentionally mocking.

If there was nothing there in the first place why did you bother?

It was a welcome post. Some might see what you posted as mocking. Some might see it as intentionally mocking.

If there was nothing there in the first place why did you bother?
Because I thought it was funny. Regardless, it was funny to me, still find it funny, wasn't meant to be disparaging, it's great to have something you care about that much.

You think it's not funny and that's fair, can we move on now and go back to regular scheduled programming of unpopular opinions?

Because I thought it was funny. Regardless, it was funny to me, still find it funny, wasn't meant to be disparaging, it's great to have something you care about that much.

You think it's not funny and that's fair, can we move on now and go back to regular scheduled programming of unpopular opinions?

Well, as long as you were entertained.

Sure.

Yeah water is a massive rabbit hole to go down. If you really go down it apparently you can use different waters to accentuate different beans. With that being said, I also use pavlis. Simple recipe, tastes fine, and most importantly prevents machine scale build up.

The only downside is you need to start with distilled or RO water. Which means buying gallons (feels wasteful, lots of plastic.), using a zero water filter (what I do, but annoying to lose fridge space and still uses lots of plastic…) or RO water (which wastes a crazy amount of water to generate)

The no-alcohol provision is probably a liability matter. You don’t want non-sparkproof electrics around a fair quantity of flammable vapor.
it definitely is not, since it was my provision ;-)

The nature of the destillation device is such that I seriously doubt wether it could adequately differentiate between methanol and ethanol.
it DOES do a great job separating lime and crud from tap water though ;-)

Yeah water is a massive rabbit hole to go down.
I enjoy doing what I can to make my coffee the absolute best it can be, but (for me) there’s definitely a limit of reasonable endeavour, after which point the pursuit of ultimate perfection makes it not enjoyable anymore.

I just want to be able to drink a really good cup of coffee in my own house without feeling like I’m Walter White or have my GF think I’m mentally unwell.

It’s for this reason I have not delved into home espresso, which by all accounts seems to be orders of magnitude worse than pour over.

Last edited:
The whole water thing is not just for the espresso, but also to keep the boiler lime scale free and not have it corrode away.
The RPavlis recipe does just that, anything additional is tinkering for taste...I have played around adding some magnesium salt to it but stopped doing that because the effect is minimal IMHO.

I enjoy doing what I can to make my coffee the absolute best it can be, but (for me) there’s definitely a limit of reasonable endeavour, after which point the pursuit of absolute perfection makes it not enjoyable anymore.

I just want to be able to drink a really good cup of coffee in my own house without feeling like I’m Walter White or have my GF think I’m mentally unwell.

It’s for this reason I have not delved into home espresso, which by all accounts seems to be orders of magnitude worse than pour over.
Ironically that’s why I went the espresso route instead of pour over. 😂 Flavors of bitter/sour make a lot more sense to me than dealing with nuanced tasting notes and the faff of pouring which just reminds me of gongfu tea which while I admire the aesthetic of just seems like too mental work for me.

Back