Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kiawe is a type of Mesquite. So in a strange way, if you're not collecting it yourself, it may be easier to source CONUS.
Cheers! I’ve used both kiawe and mesquite—though the kiawe was during pre-pandemic days, it was considerably milder than mesquite to me. Want to give it another go, since my smoking skills have improved a lot since then.
Would buy local kiawe if I can source within a close drive. Otherwise, I’m happy with the combinations of pecan/hickory/applewood I’ve been using.
Mesquite can be wonderful, and easy to find, but the attraction towards kiawe was using a local wood that I grew up around.

Last edited:
I’d rather have people cook from instant mixes than not cook at all—Bisquik is a happy compromise for pancakes.
Some don’t have the time to make things from scratch.
FWIW, Jiffy makes a very good cornbread—just add an egg and milk, …and gussy it up by adding cheese, jalapeno, bacon.
View attachment 321014
Instant might be a good alternative for some things... but for brownies and pancakes? Brownies is literally chocolate, eggs, sugar, butter and some flour. What do they even put in the box?! Same story with 'pancake mix'... you literally have to add milk and eggs... so its just a box with flour and instructions.
If it's a 'cheap shortcut' version it also defeats the point of making it yourself to get a higher quality product. 🤷‍♂️

Instant might be a good alternative for some things... but for brownies and pancakes? Brownies is literally chocolate, eggs, sugar, butter and some flour. What do they even put in the box?! Same story with 'pancake mix'... you literally have to add milk and eggs... so its just a box with flour and instructions.
If it's a 'cheap shortcut' version it also defeats the point of making it yourself to get a higher quality product. 🤷‍♂️

I only buy instant pancake mix that requires water. The point is that I don't have the other stuff and I want food. I generally have water.

For pancakes there is also some sort of leavening agent, usually baking soda. But yes, measuring two dry ingredients isn't hard.

For better or worse, there’re many people that simply dislike cooking. My brother and his wife bought an Instantpot years ago, it’s still in the box; a big supermarket near my work has a produce section dominated by bags of precut vegetables for salads/soups/stir fries/etc. For some, the fear factor of measuring ingredients made easier by premixed ingredients.
Brownies made from a boxed mix (i.e. Betty Crocker) is an early intro to baking for a number of people—cheap, easy, familiar, good enough.
I greatly appreciate home baked goods that show up at my home, even if it’s from a common box mix, baked in the disposable pan included in the box.

FWIW, this is my go-to buttermilk pancake recipe:
1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs
1¼ cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Last edited:
Im impressed with cooking skills of many home cook here. When had to change eating habits age, pre diabetes etc. Made more from scratch so much crap is in processed food. When you eat more healthy most of the time can make it taste good without one hand full of salt & the other with sugar.

This is the most sick I've seen Janice. I bought test kits for them both tested positive for covid. They said hardly anyone in EU wearing mask. I think they picked it up in London. It's been about a year since last bosters. She is going to doctor. I'm laying low plenty liquids & fruit.
65+? Yeah top off if you can:

cdc.png

Stay safe and make sure they quarantine! Good luck to you guys

So apparently I'm an insensitive mysognist excuse of a man because I genuinely prefer knives in the 250 range.

I guess we have arrived on a new formula for knife length recommendations. Recommended size in mm = 200 + (200 - X), X being penis length in mm.

So apparently I'm an insensitive mysognist excuse of a man because I genuinely prefer knives in the 250 range.

I guess we have arrived on a new formula for knife length recommendations. Recommended size in mm = 200 + (200 - X), X being penis length in mm.
Wait wait why do you get punished for having a hog by smaller knife rec!!

Too front-heavy already? Is it an embarrassment of riches sort of thing, can't let them have the 250s too?

Last edited:

I guess we all can work out now how long your penis is… ;)

🤔

Idk about following the first paragraph with a proposal for a standardized rec that’s only applicable to people with penises…

Wait wait why do you get punished for having a hog by smaller knife rec!!

Too front-heavy already? Is it an embarrassment of riches sort of thing, can't let them have the 250s too?
I guess it's a bit like honest signalling peacocks do? Showcasing a handicap to illustrate fitness in other departments? ;)
I guess we all can work out now how long your penis is… ;)
I honestly didn't put much thought into it or verify it... I was relying on someone like @mengwong to come along and correct my homework. :D

I guess I would be happy? To measure KKF members’ … members? For science?

After I crawl out from underneath the elephant in the room though

(And agree on methodology)
The question was for measuring edges in case there was confusion for some reason

Last edited:

I like my sakimaru 360; take heart.

I guess I would be happy? To measure KKF members’ … members? For science?

After I crawl out from underneath the elephant in the room though

(And agree on methodology)
Thanks for taking one for the team. Hereforth thou shallt be named Sir Mengwang.

Im impressed with cooking skills of many home cook here. When had to change eating habits age, pre diabetes etc. Made more from scratch so much crap is in processed food. When you eat more healthy most of the time can make it taste good without one hand full of salt & the other with sugar.
Take care of all’s y’all’s health man! I hear you, went through a major health scare a couple years ago—I’m much more careful/aware of ingredients, meat/plant ratios in my cooking.

The science seems off, biased against Chinese cleaver users.

Back