Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The science seems off, biased against Chinese cleaver users.
You have a valid point. I guess any formule should also consider height and perhaps even 'total blade surface' to be able to account for nakiri and cleaver users.

You have a valid point. I guess any formule should also consider height and perhaps even 'total blade surface' to be able to account for nakiri and cleaver users.
Wide outta spine knives like Jiro, Sanjos should get extra consideration.

Here in America for the most part measure in inches. Vintage wooden Rulers & yardsticks found in the house only inches. Had to buy yard stick & ruler
20240514_064914.jpg
with cm on them too. I'm sure the rulers kids have in school have cm too.

This may be an unpopular opinion… S-grinds are no better than a good convex grind.
I suppose they have their merits if you wanted some weight reduction or are slicing through a thick slab of something and were peculiar about the amount of drag on the blade. What do all you think about it?
Haven't used any of the novel grinds I've seen since coming back to forum, but I'm really curious to try them out. At a glance I can't see the appeal, but that's no substitute for using one.

This may be an unpopular opinion… S-grinds are no better than a good convex grind.
I suppose they have their merits if you wanted some weight reduction or are slicing through a thick slab of something and were peculiar about the amount of drag on the blade. What do all you think about it?

I've exactly two s-grinds, so my comments are based on that.

An s-grind need to be based on a performance convex to start with otherwise it tends to be too thick near the edge. It will do well when cutting slices, but for a dice I found that product still clings in the s.

Absolutely agree. I've tried several S grinds and a good convex still wins for me with far less compromise.

Haven't used any of the novel grinds I've seen since coming back to forum, but I'm really curious to try them out. At a glance I can't see the appeal, but that's no substitute for using one.
Closest thing I have to an S-grind is a Takeda. So far, I’m not connecting with it. Food release is not at all magical, and that thickness not far behind the edge leads to annoying difficulty with the prime products on which it should be good, like a big onion or russet potato. Or even a portabella.

Yes, concern seems to be long term maintenance, which is an idiotic idea for all the home cooks here on kkf. professionals who need to sharpen every could days can be excused. only deep S's work in absolute food release terms.

It will do well when cutting slices, but for a dice I found that product still clings in the s.
I think the only one where I don't get that is a suppppper deep S. A super deep it kind of crumples or easily pushes off even in a dice (meaning i just need to swerve during cut to "push" the dice over, its slow but i have time).

Last edited:
I've tried three s-grinds so far:
  • Kamon production knife: wasn't super impressed, overall it felt like it either needed to be heavier or thinner BTE. Food release was pretty good but not magic.
  • Eddworks nakiri: super impressed! This thing cuts really well, has enough weight to feel authoritative and fall through product, and the S is deep enough to shed food quite well and very noticably reduce stiction vs. Eddie's convex grind.
  • Shindo 210 gyuto: this is a forged hollow, not a ground fuller, but I think it counts. Release is good but not on the same level as Eddworks. The hollow is very effective in limiting stiction. Cuts great, just wish it was 15g heavier.
More often than not I want the heft and confidence of a good workhorse convex grind, but s-grinds and the like definitely have a place IMO.

I'm sure the rulers kids have in school have cm too.
It's a mixed bag. Many students claim they can read centimeters, but they dont actually know what 5cm looks like. Also, if you think fractional inches are bad (which kids in the 8th grade struggle to read), wait until you encounter the rest of the garbage that is the US Customary Unit system.

"The vase exerts 0.06 slugs on the table".

"The cost of freight is 155$ per ton". "Is that per short ton or long ton?"

"How many grains are in a carat?"

The only believable justification conspiracy theorist can use to claim the moon landing was faked is that we use US Customary unit system!

/rant over

It's a mixed bag. Many students claim they can read centimeters, but they dont actually know what 5cm looks like. Also, if you think fractional inches are bad (which kids in the 8th grade struggle to read), wait until you encounter the rest of the garbage that is the US Customary Unit system.

The only believable justification conspiracy theorist can use to claim the moon landing was faked is that we use US Customary unit system!

/rant over
Also: "how much does a 1 oz gold coin weigh?"

/rant over
The vase exerts 0.06 pounds. Pounds are a unit of force. The mass that exerts 1 pound of force under 1.00x g is a slug.

Using pounds to denote mass is the usual convention among nonengineers, but it is technically incorrect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(unit)

Being a scientist in the US cracks me up. I will record the weather in Fahrenheit, my water temperature in Celsius, my purge rate in gallons per minute, but my sample volume in milliliters and often the sample flow rate in mL/minute.

Some studies require us to take soil cores at 1 meter/2 m/ 3 m etc. depths but all the plastic sleeves and coring tubes for the drillers come in 5 foot increments. Headaches abound.

Last edited:
Being a scientist in the US cracks me up. I will record the weather in Fahrenheit, my water temperature in Celsius, my purge rate in gallons per minute, but my sample volume in milliliters and often the sample flow rate in mL/minute.

Some studies require us to take soil cores at 1 meter/2 m/ 3 m etc. depths but all the plastic sleeves and coring tubes for the drillers come in 5 foot increments. Headaches abound.
I grew up with both systems side-by-side and am pretty handy with on-the-fly conversions. German grade/high school in US.

My folks put up an outdoor alcohol thermometer by the kitchen window. It was graduated in Réaumur. I’m no stranger to offbeat systems of measure.

It did take me a while to get used to British colleagues describing their weight in stone. But it does explain the source of the American idiom “ninety-eight-pound weakling.”

The vase exerts 0.06 pounds. Pounds are a unit of force. The mass that exerts 1 pound of force under 1.00x g is a slug.

Using pounds to denote mass is the usual convention among nonengineers, but it is technically incorrect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(unit)

man, if you wanna be pedantic, you at least have to be correct. lol

typically, pound without context is understood to mean the pound-mass (unit symbol: lb). the pound-force you speak of is lbf.

your definition of slug is incorrect. it is actually:
1715741543021.png

⇒ one pound of force accelerates one slug by one ft/s² (not by 1g).

also, why does your definition have three sig figs for the acceleration?

man, if you wanna be pedantic, you at least have to be correct. lol

typically, pound without context is understood to mean the pound-mass (unit symbol: lb). the pound-force you speak of is lbf.

your definition of slug is incorrect. it is actually:
View attachment 321545
⇒ one pound of force accelerates one slug by one ft/s² (not by 1g).

also, why does your definition have three sig figs for the acceleration?
Sorry; wrong acceleration.

But per link a pound was, is and remains a measure of force and not mass. “Weight” is mass times 9.81 m sE-2.

“lbf” is redundant.

Sorry; wrong acceleration.

But per link a pound was, is and remains a measure of force and not mass. “Weight” is mass times 9.81 m sE-2.

“lbf” is redundant.
edit is screwing with me.
In re sig figs, point conceded.

“lbf” is redundant.

i'm sure you could make a reasonable argument against it, but authorities like the IEEE say that that's the symbol. that's also what i remember seeing in my mechanical engineering textbooks.

i'm sure you could make a reasonable argument against it, but authorities like the IEEE say that that's the symbol. that's also what i remember seeing in my mechanical engineering textbooks.
Perhaps it’s cultural. I’m a chemist, not an engineer. My texts were firm on defining pounds as force. The convention to describe mass in pounds is informal iirc. “Just because everyone does it” carries a fair bit of (cough!) weight, but at day’s end it reduces to an argumentum ad populum.

My dad, who is a (retired) engineer and a member IEEE since I can remember, was also careful to teach me that pounds are a measure of force.

Different professions have different traditions, but in this case I have a qualified consultant available. I’m willing to meet in the middle but not to recant. Eppur si muove.

Latest posts

Back