Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cigars are too damn big. Maybe I'm just a big ol softie but every time I'm about 1/3 or, at most, 1/2 through a cigar I think "boy am I ready to be done with this!"

Friend had a cigar bar at his wedding and it was dozens of half smoked ones left on tables.

I wish they made those Romeo y Julieta's with better tobacco. Ideal size. "Clint Eastwoods" as some call them.

sauce with sauce never appealed to me. why mix several sauces? don’t **** with my mustard or mayo. why would i (if at all) want ketchup on my mayo, or even mustard?

We evolved into the supreme predators upon this planet. Revel in the sauce! Your ancestors earned it for you!

Mayonnaise+ketchup is a holy combination and I simply refuse to condone sauce-orgy slander.

Cigars are too damn big. Maybe I'm just a big ol softie but every time I'm about 1/3 or, at most, 1/2 through a cigar I think "boy am I ready to be done with this!"

Friend had a cigar bar at his wedding and it was dozens of half smoked ones left on tables.

I wish they made those Romeo y Julieta's with better tobacco. Ideal size. "Clint Eastwoods" as some call them.
a bigger cigar usually burns at a slower rate so you get flavors that go with lower temperatures, similar to light roasted coffee versus a dark roast (higher temp)

just put a big cigar down and enjoy the rest later. (been years now since my last proper cigar)

small cigars suck ;-)

I know people who relight, but I tend to disagree though. Relighting leads to bitterness, when I can't finish the cigar in one sitting, its got to go.

Yes, most small cigars suck, most of them are also machine made garbage with cut up trimmings anyway.
If we're talking decent cigars, smaller ones can be great though, but it's rare. Don't get fooled by all the high end brand cigarillo offerings, those are thrash.
La Gloria Cubana medaille d'or no 4, now those are some of my all time favourites 🥰

sauce with sauce never appealed to me. why mix several sauces? don’t **** with my mustard or mayo. why would i (if at all) want ketchup on my mayo, or even mustard?
Because I like it when my dish has more than 1 or two flavours?
Sauces are just ingredients which can complement each other.

Why is it weird to add mayo and ketchup to a burger, but perfectly normal to add soy sauce and rice wine (and 32 other ingredients) to just about any asian dish?

I know people who relight, but I tend to disagree though. Relighting leads to bitterness, when I can't finish the cigar in one sitting, its got to go.

Yes, most small cigars suck, most of them are also machine made garbage with cut up trimmings anyway.
If we're talking decent cigars, smaller ones can be great though, but it's rare. Don't get fooled by all the high end brand cigarillo offerings, those are thrash.
La Gloria Cubana medaille d'or no 4, now those are some of my all time favourites 🥰
agree, ideally I'd finish a cigar in one sitting...but them bick suckers last....and waking up the next morning with a hangover is one thing, but a hangover with an asphalted mouth is something else ;-)

agree, ideally I'd finish a cigar in one sitting...but them bick suckers last....and waking up the next morning with a hangover is one thing, but a hangover with an asphalted mouth is something else ;-)
This. I only like cigars when I'm hammered so it's always 1-2 punch of hangover and kitty litter mouth the next morning

Ashton VSG Enchantments are a perfect size, and a wonderful cigar. Because of the shape, you can light them with a single match. The only problem is that you can get a very good knife for the cost of a box of the things.

Looked up the price on those cigars... You might as well roll up dollar bills and light that. It's literally like seeing money go up in smoke. Thank god that's an expensive hobby I never acquired a taste for.

I cannot praise the Short Story enough. I hope to try the others described here.

https://www.holts.com/clubhouse/top-lists/best-short-smokes

Looked up the price on those cigars... You might as well roll up dollar bills and light that. It's literally like seeing money go up in smoke. Thank god that's an expensive hobby I never acquired a taste for.
Many grocery-store bottles of wine cost more/unit. Mind you, much past $20/stick, showing off starts to overtake enjoyment except for the minority that can really taste the difference.

I cannot praise the Short Story enough. I hope to try the others described here.

https://www.holts.com/clubhouse/top-lists/best-short-smokes
Good looks!

I'm a child, but the last line of this review is killing me.

1000040623.jpg

Sneak (!) preview: my sister, who works airliners, described a crew tactic called crop dusting. Trolling dozens in one blow …

I like the drop one in the aisle at the grocery store and keep walking. The next person down the aisle is in for a surprise.

Triple points for the day I did it to my wife.

I like the drop one in the aisle at the grocery store and keep walking. The next person down the aisle is in for a surprise.

Triple points for the day I did it to my wife.
My ex and I had a hierarchy.

Room-filler (which demanded one lap of the Circuit of Penitence in places that had two ways to get from living room to kitchen)

House-filler (no Circuit lap; pointless)

and the rare but awesome Store-filler

Want to trade my old, used, and discounted jiro that has had pitting to the point where I brought it to Tetogi to have them refinish it and sand out the pitting.

But I want to trade for an as new as possible yo jiro.

Nobody wants this “special” jiro???

Want to trade my old, used, and discounted jiro that has had pitting to the point where I brought it to Tetogi to have them refinish it and sand out the pitting.

But I want to trade for an as new as possible yo jiro.

Nobody wants this “special” jiro???

And what's with that handle? The first shot makes it look as long as the blade.

And what's with that handle? The first shot makes it look as long as the blade.
I really don’t know. I guess it didn’t have a handle when sold? Also looks rather short at the heel and the cladding line gets pretty close to the edge

The American market has come to love these giant cigars with a huge Guage. I think in part the main diffirence is that many people in the US think a cigar is something that's smoked while doing other things and chief them down, making the cigar burn really ****ing hot if it's a lower ring gage. I mean you ruin the cigar anyway smoking like that, but you ruin it less with a bigger ring gage. The fancier noncuban stuff like padron is still typically on the smaller side, but you can find a Macado with a 60+ ring gage.

Cubans have a much better diversity of smaller cigars, and many of the best cigars are small ones that can be enjoyed in like 30 to 45 minutes. They keep ****ing up our relationship with Cuba, but if you can get someone to bring you back some Upmann half coronas, monte 4/5 or even a cohiba siglo 1 those smokes are amazing and you can probably smoke them under an hour without feeling like you need to toss it before it's done. But there are also a number of decent noncubans that can easily be found like the aforementioned padrons, illusione out of Nevada also sells most of their cigars with smaller offerings like epernays, so they can be found. But I doubt people are filling their wedding selection with smaller cigars since bigger ones look cooler for photos.

When I was very young I had a Cypriot babysitter, and spent a lot of time at her elderly parents house as they only lived down the road.

They barely spoke any English, but we had a fantastic relationship and I considered them my third set of grandparents.

They had me eating some pretty out-there stuff, including some dishes that featured a full lamb or sheep’s head (eyes, brain, everything). I don’t vividly remember that much from my childhood, but I sure as hell remember standing at the butcher’s counter, eye level with a row of skinned sheep heads staring right back at me.
Silence of the lamb

I really don’t know. I guess it didn’t have a handle when sold? Also looks rather short at the heel and the cladding line gets pretty close to the edge

Yeah I looked it up at Hitohira. No handle as sold from them. The cladding on the back part of the right side matches up, but the front part is messed. Also the Kuro looks darker.

I’m saddened by the realization that the Cinco Jotas I bought from that market stand on Las Ramblas is not the same as the ones that reach the US. Even the ones served at Asheville’s Curate didn’t taste the same.
Did you eat them at the same temperature?
Most common mistake is eating stuff after coming out of the fridge, and just like cheese ham needs to get up to temperature to really shine.

Back