Updates from Metal land.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Guys, On monday I hope to get Judd's and Michael's blades done to the point of heat treatment and on their way to being ground. I will start getting the handle pieces together and hand finished. I will run through the handle spec for each so we know where we are.

David Small Gyuto and Suji.
Handles to the smaller size you like 12cm, short choil. Materials - Damascus ferrule and endcap - wood to be determined, I have a choice for you.
Balance, - On choil

Sean Gyuto
I'll e-mail you regarding hand size
Materials damascus ferrule and endcap with two tone amboyna.
Balance -On choil

Aphex - Gyuto
As I remember large hand size, 14cm?
Materials - Mokume front and endcap, blackwood ferrule/copper spacer and your provided Ironwood.
Balance - on choil or plus 20mm

Judd - Suji
Stainless front end cap and spacer with bog oak ferrule and Wood provided. Smaller size, 12cm? and slim
Balance - An inch infront of choil

Matt - Gyuto
Let me know the measurement diagonally across your hand or your preference in handle length.
I'll get some wood choices laid out next week for you.
On Choil/ plus 20mm

Michael Gyuto
Handle, let me know the measurement diagonally across your palm, or preference in size.
Blackwood ferrule, mammoth spacer, I'll give you a choice of wood next week and brass endcap.
On choil/plus 20mm

On the balance the damascus ferrule and fitting ones are a struggle to keep the balance forward. It will be choil/front of handle.

Anything not right or i need to know, let me know folks. Cheers
Will

Bog oak? *** is Bog Oak? It sounds like something you put gold bond blue on to ease the itching/burning feeling.

Pesky

bog oak- oak trees submerged in an oxygen free environment for thousands of years ( peat bogs, swamps and such) the trees partially turn to lignite or jet by absorbing the minerals and chemicals in the bog. Most bog oak is Black or very dark brown a it has begun to transform, thousand or millions of years from now it will turn to coal.

Bog oak? *** is Bog Oak? It sounds like something you put gold bond blue on to ease the itching/burning feeling.

Pesky[/QUOTE

Lol, I spat my tea out when I read this. Don't worry Judd, it looks nice, can be brown to jet black, often used by pipe makers. These bits are stabilized too. I think there is one bit of wenge somewhere and lots of blackwood, so there is choice. And there will be wood pictures as preparations are made.
:biggrin:

And thank Son for the explanations you know your minerals and things for sure.
The term bog oak for me always reminds me of the slightly gloomy Irish Poetry we read at school, but thats me getting carried away now, like Pesky.

Bog oak=wenge with smelly armpits. It's a British thing.:biggrin:

Something you get drinking tequilla and eating bad tex-mex. "Roll down the Windows, I got me a touch of the bog oaks!"

I'll kick you in the Taco's in a minute Pesky:viking:

I'll kick you in the Taco's in a minute Pesky:viking:
Hahahahaha!!!! Just do it....He will leave you alone for a few minutes anyway :D Great looking stuff there Will! Good to see you kicking stuff out again.

Profile on your KS looks perfect. Love that Sabatier profile.

Thanks Guys, I've been holding out on you a bit as Judd's has been fighting back a bit, its been a hell of a week. All blades bar Judd's are now HT'd and a couple of extras, a butterflies pattern variation Petty+270 Suji with blue core and a butterflies pattern Suji, 270mm.:)
IMGP2416.jpg

Funny you should say that, Nivia hand cream wanted a blacksmith for an advert recently, I missed the application though:D
Stuff is going on, finishing some grinds and starting to clean up some handle bits. Should get a couple of the simpler ones done by the weekend.
Next week I have a work experience chap, he is going to help me get some blacksmithing work finished. I might have time to fiddle with handles a bit but will be back on it the week after.:biggrin:

My trusty fork lift has died:sad0: To be fair it was expected, I payed much less than scrap value for it 5 years ago. Alas I let the batteries drain and can't get it going. Its now 3 tons of "in the way" in the corner of my workshop. I'm hoping I can tow it a few hundred yards to the scrap yard down the road to pass go and collect £500.
I will have to do a photo montage on its funeral day.:angel2:

Aphex and Michael's Gyuto's will be done by next week. Here is some progress.
Quick etch before finishing the blades.
Michael Gyuto 250mm profile 1
IMGP2563.jpg

IMGP2563.jpg

Aphex 250mm
IMGP2570.jpg

IMGP2571.jpg

Together
IMGP2572.jpg

After hand finishing, some testing.
IMGP2579.jpg

IMGP2580.jpg

The 3mm, 2mm, less than 1mm behind the tip grind works very well. Giving great parting and stability whilst very laser like to the tip.
I gave them a couple of grind tweaks though after testing and started on the handles today. Pics to follow.
Have a great weekend everyone:biggrin:

Handles on the way.:biggrin:

IMGP2582.jpg

IMGP2585.jpg

IMGP2586.jpg

IMGP2588.jpg

IMGP2589.jpg

IMGP2592.jpg

IMGP2593.jpg

Blades tweaked and re-tested hand finished again and logo etched.

IMGP2594.jpg

Thanks all:biggrin:

Will, those blades look absolutely beautiful, keep up the great work. I also would like to state that I am a big fan of your gyuto profile, very nice.

The excitement is building, can't wait until next week.:bliss:

Michael's 250 Gyuto, profile 1 and Aphex Masamoto profile 250 are done! Ready when you are folks, just need a good honing session and they can be off to you.:biggrin:
Here's some pics for you.
IMGP2608.jpg

IMGP2607.jpg

IMGP2606.jpg

IMGP2605.jpg

IMGP2604.jpg

IMGP2603.jpg

IMGP2601.jpg

IMGP2600.jpg

IMGP2599.jpg

IMGP2598.jpg

IMGP2597.jpg