Upgrade from Misono 440 recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My takamura 240 gyuto also in R2 steel, less than $500 IIRC.
_1050218.jpg

For a "forever gyuto," it's worth the drive to JKI. You can read all the reviews, read the specs, but if it's one knife to rule them all, best to try it in your hand.

Believe me, I wish I could. Unfortunately that's an impossibility until next march or April unless we are blessed with orders out of this dreadfully awful place lol.

The Kikuichi damascus is a OEM blade offered (far cheaper) by many companies, I would avoid that one. If you want damascus+western+performance, the recommendation of the Tanaka R2 is right on point. Very good value for money considering the materials/smith. The only gripe I have seen is that the handles are on the small side, which may or may not be an issue.

There's a new Hiromoto (Tenmi-Jyuraku Damascus) with a similar aesthetic, VG-10 core just been introduced by JCK which is closer to your price range.

Img758.jpg

The Kikuichi damascus is a OEM blade offered (far cheaper) by many companies, I would avoid that one. If you want damascus+western+performance, the recommendation of the Tanaka R2 is right on point. Very good value for money considering the materials/smith. The only gripe I have seen is that the handles are on the small side, which may or may not be an issue.

There's a new Hiromoto (Tenmi-Jyuraku Damascus) with a similar aesthetic, VG-10 core just been introduced by JCK which is closer to your price range.

Img758.jpg

I've been leaning towards a Hiromoto since I saw how stunning Dave made them in his spa thread. The Damascus really isn't that important to me, I just thought the way it flowed into the hammered part of the blade on the Kikuichi was rather pretty.

How does the Hiromoto perform? It seems to be a popular knife given all the reworks Dave has done on them.

i would not recommend the hiromoto damasscus line, especially taking the pricing into account. I have 3 knives from the VG10 damascus line (doh! this was my first set of J knives back in 09), while it looks OK, its VG10 was not the best.

I have only read great reviews of the AS line, and if it was me, I'd pick up a 240 AS with Dave package over the damascus line.

I've been leaning towards a Hiromoto since I saw how stunning Dave made them in his spa thread.

Dave-pimped Hiromoto AS's appear from time to time in the buy/sell/trade forum here. Performance is going to be stellar if you pick one of these up, if you put out a "want to buy" post you may get some offers. Be aware that the hagane is not stainless though, although AS is pretty robust once a patina has set in.

I vote for Konosuke HD western with white micarta handle.

I think you owe it to yourself to at least try out a wa handle before you commit to a "forever knife" (good luck on that, btw! ;-) As others have mentioned, that will open up your options.

Lots of people (myself included) find the transition to wa not much of an issue. Especially if it's a knife that cuts well and you enjoy using--you may not be thinking about the handle very much.

There are various ways you could do that without necessarily buying a brand new knife (which still couldn't be ruled out). You could be involved in a passaround or ask for a loaner (maybe even some of the good folks who have already commented have something suitable), or you could buy a reasonable contender on B/S/T (which you would likely be able to use and sell for almost the same price if it turned out to not be what you really wanted).

I think that waiting to get your current knife back from Jon might also make you appreciate it more. We know it will come back sharp. I don't know if that particular knife is a candidate for thinning, but I would guess its performance will be significantly enhanced when it's returned to you.

What I was trying to get at was the improvement in cutting performance that you would like from your new knife.

From what I know about the Misono 440 (I've never owned or even used one), it probably doesn't wedge, but doesn't have good food release; slices relatively well without much resistance, but could be better. Do you like the profile/shape of the edge of the blade? Do you like using the tip of the knife?

What I was trying to get at was the improvement in cutting performance that you would like from your new knife.

From what I know about the Misono 440 (I've never owned or even used one), it probably doesn't wedge, but doesn't have good food release; slices relatively well without much resistance, but could be better. Do you like the profile/shape of the edge of the blade? Do you like using the tip of the knife?

If memory serves me correct, I was one of the people who recommended the Misono 440 as it is a great stainless beginner Japanese knife. They are very thin, easy to sharpen and take a very sharp edge. I wonder if the OP had her knife professionally sharpened or simply used the out of the box edge. I bought my friend a set of three 440's and I sharpen them once every 3-4 months and they get perfectly sharp for any kitchen tasks. Their also not soft as they can and will chip if abused (his wife tends to chip the santoku).

My guess is that the OP has seen the light of what a Japanese made blade can do, and now wants to see what else is out there that might even be better. Welcome to the rabbit hole!

If memory serves me correct, I was one of the people who recommended the Misono 440 as it is a great stainless beginner Japanese knife. They are very thin, easy to sharpen and take a very sharp edge. I wonder if the OP had her knife professionally sharpened or simply used the out of the box edge. I bought my friend a set of three 440's and I sharpen them once every 3-4 months and they get perfectly sharp for any kitchen tasks. Their also not soft as they can and will chip if abused (his wife tends to chip the santoku).

My guess is that the OP has seen the light of what a Japanese made blade can do, and now wants to see what else is out there that might even be better. Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Ah. So her hubby has you to blame. :tease:

Is the 440 as thin as most lasers, i.e. around 2.2. mm at the spine?

Ah. So her hubby has you to blame. :tease:

Is the 440 as thin as most lasers, i.e. around 2.2. mm at the spine?

Michael,

I don't have access to the knife at the moment but again, if memory serves me correct, the 8" Gyuto they have is thinner than my 10" Konosuke White #2 if that is of every reference.

I think you owe it to yourself to at least try out a wa handle before you commit to a "forever knife" (good luck on that, btw! ;-) As others have mentioned, that will open up your options.

Lots of people (myself included) find the transition to wa not much of an issue. Especially if it's a knife that cuts well and you enjoy using--you may not be thinking about the handle very much.

There are various ways you could do that without necessarily buying a brand new knife (which still couldn't be ruled out). You could be involved in a passaround or ask for a loaner (maybe even some of the good folks who have already commented have something suitable), or you could buy a reasonable contender on B/S/T (which you would likely be able to use and sell for almost the same price if it turned out to not be what you really wanted).

I think that waiting to get your current knife back from Jon might also make you appreciate it more. We know it will come back sharp. I don't know if that particular knife is a candidate for thinning, but I would guess its performance will be significantly enhanced when it's returned to you.

It still amazes me the amount of trust people on these forums have to lend knives out to others. Especially when I read about knives being stollen at the work place.

This forum really is a bad influence on my knife addiction. I see the beauties here and it makes me want more lol. Being practical though, I just cook at home and when I go to my mother in laws which is where the Misono is destined after I get another. Spending 20 min chopping rosemary on an extremely dull calphalon knife is definitely not enjoyable. I have to have at least one decent knife to use since I'm the designated chef while there.

If I decided to go the wa route, which knife would you recommend?

Yes it's not a great food releaser. Cuts good but needs a little pressure cutting larger items like cabbage and melons but that may be the case with any knife. it also seems to have a bit of a drag when releasing. I do like the shape and use the tip a lot. I've got a santoku too and I don't like it. I much prefer the gyotu.

I think you hit it right on. I want more power so to speak lol. The tip on mine curled, not sure how but I'm guessing my daughter or husband either hit it on the edge of the sink or put it away too roughly. I did get the initial sharpening from korin when I purchased it. Same with the santoku though that one doesn't get much love around here except from the hubby. Go figure lol.

Back