Upgrading from Shun Classic Gyuto, $400-$800, Amazed by this new world

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Updated contenders:

KOCHI 240MM MIGAKI WA-GYUTO

TAKEDA GYUTO 220MM

Wakui 240mm Gyuto Shirogami #2 Red Ebony 'D'

Yoshikazu Ikeda Suminigashi 240mm Gyuto Aogami #1 Ebony

Other options:
-Join the masses and wait for a Kato Workhorse (I'm guessing this could take a while)
-Order a Watanabe
-Your other recommendation

Updated priorities:
-Balanced at or near pinch
-Food doesn't stick to blade
-Edge maintains ability to easily cut through tomato skin
-Dark high-quality Wa handle
-Open to any blade material (no longer prefer semi-stainless)
-attractive aesthetic
-Planning to get this professionally sharpened while I learn to sharpen on my Shun Classic
-Planning to buy a laser nakiri next

Updated contenders:

KOCHI 240MM MIGAKI WA-GYUTO

TAKEDA GYUTO 220MM

Wakui 240mm Gyuto Shirogami #2 Red Ebony 'D'

Yoshikazu Ikeda Suminigashi 240mm Gyuto Aogami #1 Ebony

Other options:
-Join the masses and wait for a Kato Workhorse (I'm guessing this could take a while)
-Order a Watanabe
-Your other recommendation

Updated priorities:
-Balanced at or near pinch
-Food doesn't stick to blade
-Edge maintains ability to easily cut through tomato skin
-Dark high-quality Wa handle
-Open to any blade material (no longer prefer semi-stainless)
-attractive aesthetic
-Planning to get this professionally sharpened while I learn to sharpen on my Shun Classic
-Planning to buy a laser nakiri next

Nicely coming along there! All very good choices and great you can have professional sharpening whilst practicing on the Shun.

OK, so a few ideas.

If your considering Takeda, make sure it is a thin at the spine old grind not the thick spine newer grind.

Skip the Kato and go Watanabe or Toyama. Kato is vastly overpriced and many people have sold theirs for a better suited knife. I would also consider a custom handle to bring the weight closer to balance on a Toyama or Watanabe. Most workhorse knives are blade heavy. With your budget you could go Watanabe Honyaki; but Honyaki need special attention.

Yoshikasu Ikeda is totally at the top end and no custom handle needed. I would love to afford one, but I'm pretty darn happy with my Toyamas... for now :) I got an awesome custom handle for my Toyama and the balance helps with tip work.

With your budget, I personally would lean towards: Yoshikasu Ikeda Gyuto and a Wakui, Kochi, Watanabe, Toyama, Takeda nakiri (although they are middle weight but great performers). Watanabe does 180mm nakiri which is a good size for butternut squash!

This would give you a high end collectable Gyuto and an all out performing Nakiri.

If you want a workhorse, look at the Mizuno Tanrenjo Akitada Hontanren. I have one from K&S, which has great food release and takes a great edge. Be warned- it's no laser but a great workhorse. Mine Has lovely ebony handle. I don't know if James still has an but you could PM him. JCK has them but I think they are all magnolia handles.

Also worth looking at James' new Sakai Jikko lines. These are a lot thinner. I haven't used them (yet) but early reports are that food release isn't too bad given the thinness. The handle on them is gorgeous. F&F on the Akatsuki is good, Akebono supposed to be even better.

I know I keep saying it, but it's well worth looking at the Shiro Kamos. Great middleweight workhorses. Brilliant balance of food release and thinness behind the edge. I love mine.

I have a watanabe 240mm gyuto that feels fairly nimble. If you like the watanabe, go for the polished, pro line and ask Shinichi to make it thinner.

For handles, he sometimes uses keyaki wood which is denser than ho and tan in color. For larger knives he sometimes uses ichii wood which is more of a light medium brown with a slight red cast. Special woods are an added cost.

If you are looking for ebony or a dark wood, you can ask Shinichi, but he may not have that. His focus is more on the blade rather than supplying special handles. You could then go for a custom handle.

I thought you can't pick the handle anymore... But maybe I'm imaging things

I guess "go for a custom handle" meant "get the knife without handle, or with the cheapest handle and rip it off, then attach or have attached someone else's handle"?

Ill do the same with my Watanabe. ill get a kurouchi 180mm and the handle will be done here in Germany by Xerxes. ( something like this i photoshopped http://up.picr.de/27793773jy.jpg )
The Watanabe 240pro Gyutos from Zoze and Zetieum i could try are awesome.

m7BJ4bZ.jpg

I'm sure he'd be more than happy to leave the handle off unless the knife is off the shelf

Back