Using thickened water on whetstones.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread really got me thinking about other institutional mediums for sharpening, so I did some experimenting of my own! Both my Dragon and Ashi petty were pretty dull, so we thickened a few things and got to work!

Experiment #1

Medium: Puréed carrots thickened with Rubicon™ Protein Shaping Puree Mix #50601 (raw)
Substrate: Unsoaked King KW65 1k/6k Combo Whetstone (1k side)
Knife: Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyuto (24cm)

View attachment 313049

Initial sharpening was particularly slippery: I found it difficult to hold an angle with the carrot goo all over my fingers, but after 20 or so passes I began to feel the familiar coarse bite of the stone. Routinely had to scrape the medium from the sides of the stone back onto the face, but, all things considered, it was surprisingly less messy then I anticipated:

View attachment 313050

Raising a burr was a little more challenging than usual, though one did eventually form and--if I gotta be honest--the swarf mixed with the purée and created a rather attractive "sticky" slurry that I considered using as a polishing compound (perhaps in another experiment).

View attachment 313051

After flipping the burr a few times I decided to move straight to the finishing stone without deburring first.

Experiment #2
Medium: Puréed carrots thickened with Rubicon™ Protein Shaping Puree Mix #50601 (cooked)
Substrate: Unsoaked King KW65 1k/6k Combo Whetstone (6k side)
Knife: Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyuto (24cm)

Given the fairly coarse nature of the uncooked purée, it seemed inappropriate for finishing so I cooked the remainder for 18 minutes at 325F as per package directions, before applying to the fine stone:

View attachment 313052

Finish sharpening was silky smooth - the burr abraded away with almost no effort, and the tactile feedback of the cooked purée along a 6k stone was akin to the creamy responsiveness of something more familiar, like a Rika 5k. It raised little swarf, though the mess was mostly contained to the stone and the stone holder - perfect for easy cleanup!

View attachment 313053

Results: well polished edge that can cut an S through parchment paper and shave your arm hair, perfect alternative if you don't have any Hormel Thick 'n Easy laying around.

Experiment #3
Medium: Puréed Honey Ham thickened with Rubicon™ Protein Shaping Puree Mix #50601 (uncooked)
Substrate: Unsoaked King KW65 1k/6k Combo Whetstone (1k side)
Knife: Ashi Ginga White #2 Petty (21cm)

View attachment 313058

This was a pleasant surprise! The slightly grittier texture of the compound helped pull a burr in as little as 5 passes, and while some of that could be attributed to the better steel in the knife, in practice I'd say it went faster than just the bare stone and water. Swarf captured almost entirely by the slurry; the mess from this was virtually nothing compared to a more traditional approach like, you know, putting water on a rock and applying pressure:

View attachment 313059

Experiment #4
Medium: Puréed Honey Ham thickened with Rubicon™ Protein Shaping Puree Mix #50601 (cooked)
Substrate: Unsoaked King KW65 1k/6k Combo Whetstone (6k side)
Knife: Ashi Ginga White #2 Petty (21cm)

View attachment 313060

Again, I left the burr from the 1k as I moved to finishing on the package prepared thickened compound. This was an unusual sharpening experience: the ham, even cooked, slowed down the cutting and felt just a little more gritty than you'd want for a 6k substrate - reminiscent of a 3k splash and go than anything you'd want for polishing . That said, the mess was again easily contained and, unlike other swarf, a little tasty.

View attachment 313062

Alternating 10 / 8 / 6 / 4 / 2 passes on either side finished removing the burr and tidying up the edge.

Results: well polished edge that can cut an S through parchment paper and shave your arm hair, perfect alternative if you don't have any Hormel Thick 'n Easy laying around.

Lastly, because I do enjoy a bit of a toothy bite to my edges (nobody likes slippery tomatoes), I stropped both knives with edge-trailing strokes on the 6k side, using riced mashed potatoes:

View attachment 313068

Final Thoughts: I was really skeptical of this thread at first, but having tried my own thickened products for sharpening I gotta say: I'm a believer now! Nice job KKF!
You need the Rubicon Protein Finishing &Deburring formula. Game-changer.

I thought Propylene Glycol sounded familier it is one of the ingredients in the bulk fluid bowel prep for a colonoscopy.
It's very similar to Dipropylene Glycol which is used in products for tightening loose chair joints, hammer hafts ect.
Might work the same.

Used the Nestlē ThickenUp. Except for using to much power it worked great. However the way I mixed it, it required rinsing the stones off under the sink. compared with the carbomer used in the Colloidal Silver gel I think I prefer the carbomer. Also I am going to be looking for a pre-mixed product.

I mixed some more using far less of the powder and it worked a whole lot better.

Up thread using liquid soap was mentioned. I have used Dr. Bonner's Castile soaps for more than 40 years. I have used it on carborundum stones to clean them when they get a build up. It works very well for this purpose, in fact I used their Tea Tree soap to clean the 2 Shaptons today. I have not tried it yet as a sharpening aid but Dr. Bonner's soap are about the best there is. They do make the best baby shampoo in the known universe. The soap is totally natural. I have used all of their liquid castile soaps. For sharpening and for use in the kitchen give their Almond soap a try. When you open it, the soap smells like crushed almonds, so much so that you have to remind yourself not to taste it. But in a diluted form you can brush your teeth with it.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 12.38.34.png

Last edited:
Used the Nestlē ThickenUp. Except for using to much power it worked great. However the way I mixed it, it required rinsing the stones off under the sink. compared with the carbomer used in the Colloidal Silver gel I think I prefer the carbomer. Also I am going to be looking for a pre-mixed product.
I'm doing a tuna noodle casserole puree today, want me to post the results? The panko crumb might be exactly what you're looking for.

Tuna Casserole sounds pretty gross before the puree. You Yankees eat some vile stuff.

BTW, come on down for the puree glazed ham leftover from Easter...
Oh it's one of the worst we puree. Though the beef n bean burritos certainly take the cake 😂🤢

Also, did you miss the post like one page back where I *literally* sharpened with pureed glazed ham leftover from Easter?! I don't need a ticket to Florida for that hell xD

Last edited:
Ah, I starred to use puree shrimp and grits as an example but wasn't sure you would know what it was.

:cool:

Tuna Casserole sounds pretty gross before the puree. You Yankees eat some vile stuff.

BTW, come on down for the puree glazed ham leftover from Easter...
I refuse to suffer insult to the simple, hearty and filling dish of tuna casserole. Make it with a white sauce, season with worchester, salt n peppa, add cheddar cheese, drained pasta, frozen peas. Top with more cheese. Bake until bubbly and crispy.

I refuse to suffer insult to the simple, hearty and filling dish of tuna casserole. Make it with a white sauce, season with worchester, salt n peppa, add cheddar cheese, drained pasta, frozen peas. Top with more cheese. Bake until bubbly and crispy.
You had me *entirely* on board until you pead in it.

Any difference in using mashed potatoes based on milk vs based on potato water; also salt or no salt?

Can't wait until we get all the 'why is there mold growing on my stones' and 'why are my stones smelling like a trash can' posts half a year from now.
OKAY LISTEN

I flushed the stone under hot water for 10 minutes, then gave it a quick soak in white vinegar, then flushed it AGAIN in hot water for another 10 minutes, then realized it was most likely permanently contaminated and threw it in the trash.

No harm, only *some* foul.

To deodorize and sanitize whetstones, and cutting boards that does not leave behind a taste food grade 12 % Hydrogen Peroxide is your friend. When I was big game hunting I used it on the stones, cutting boards and knives after I butchered a deer of elk and got it in the freezer. It did a very good job. When I lowered stones into it they looked like Alka-Seltzer fizzing.

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 16.57.46.png

Last edited:
Back